Tilting Refrigerator!

BigZ

We have just returned from our 2019 Landmark Concord's first long trip to Montana (Covid has caused many trip cancellations). At the first fueling stop, we found that our residential refrigerator was tipped forward. The only thing stopping it from falling completely into the dining room slide was that the rear had contacted and wedged against the cabinet above it. I pushed it back upright and had to improvise an emergency travel strap to keep it in place for the remainder of the trip. The dealer can't get to us until December so until then I guess we'll have to limp along using the strap. Just curious, is this a common problem or did Heartland forget to install something to keep our refrigerator from moving like this?
Thanks!!
Cindy & Randy

LBR

I added a metal bracket at the bottom to keep the bottom from jiggling out, then a board at the top attached to either side of the frig area. It won't go anywhere under normal conditions.

RoadJunkie

If you have ANY other options, don't wait for a dealer to look at/fix this problem, unless you do not poses the skills necessary to handle the modification. I'm a bit surprised you're having this problem with a 19 rig, the early adopters had the most problems and I thought Heartland had a handle on this. Google "refrigerator not secure" or something along those lines; here's and example of problems and fixes.

BigZ

If you have ANY other options, don't wait for a dealer to look at/fix this problem, unless you do not poses the skills necessary to handle the modification. I'm a bit surprised you're having this problem with a 19 rig, the early adopters had the most problems and I thought Heartland had a handle on this. Google "refrigerator not secure" or something along those lines; here's and example of problems and fixes.

I guess Heartland doesn’t have that handle unfortunately. The rig has to go back in for a powerless center A/C anyway. So, we will see what they say. Unfortunately I can’t find adequate support material in back of refrig to attach an anchor bracket. Still relying on my tried and true travel strap.

Thanks for advice on the links. I had already reviewed many similar old postings.
Stay well!

Wulffpack

So this happened to us on our 2020 bighorn 3300DL this summer. The fridge came out (not boondocking, traveling interstates) and crashed into the island and opened up. Dented the fridge. $250 in spoiled food. Pryer to that La Mesa RV had fixed a tilt back in the original Heartland build. Is there really nothing holding these residential-style fridges in? Just shoved in the hole. It looks like La Mesa RV has stuck a small piece of wood at top and used clear silicone to poorly glue a couple of hundred bound fridge in place. To travel to more stops we had to stap in PXL_20210726_155908806.jpg

lynndiwagoner

I've heard of people wedging a large piece of Styrofoam between the top of the fridge and bottom of the ceiling in the enclosure. I don't think they're going to slide straight out, but maybe tip.

sengli

That strip of wood thing across the top of the fridge is a winner! I just ripped a custom piece to fill that gap and screwed it in there, and man that fridge is so solid now. Great idea.

david-steph2018

We have a piece of wood trim, matching the cabinets color, across the top of the fridge. Our fridge has not tipped or moved since day1.

RoadJunkie

Be sure to consult your refrigerator manual regarding install clearances at the top of the fridge. Install may require a gap at the top for ventilation?

FL-JOE

It would seem that for 2021 Heartland figured out that they needed to lock their residential frigs in place. Our unit came with a matching colored 1x3 trim piece attached to two L brackets across the top. They also sealed it to the top of the frig. It would be impossible for it to come out of the hole.

LBR

So this happened to us on our 2020 bighorn 3300DL this summer. The fridge came out (not boondocking, traveling interstates) and crashed into the island and opened up. Dented the fridge. $250 in spoiled food. Pryer to that La Mesa RV had fixed a tilt back in the original Heartland build. Is there really nothing holding these residential-style fridges in? Just shoved in the hole. It looks like La Mesa RV has stuck a small piece of wood at top and used clear silicone to poorly glue a couple of hundred bound fridge in place. To travel to more stops we had to stap in View attachment 65998
The issue we had with our Hisense was the bottom tried working it's way out from floor pedestal/base during travel. That pedestal was not designed deep enough to allow the fridge front 2 feet to be used...they just hung out in the free air...lol.

I built a simple metal, full width bracket that ties both feet back to the floor pedestal...fridge base can't move now. Still use the bracketed 1x3 wood piece on the top like another user mentioned, so the top cannot try to tip out neither.

FL-JOE

The factory must have taken a tip from you or another owner because that is exactly how the bottom of my LG is secured. They utilized two large L brackets on each side of the front. They are screwed through the base of the frig and then down into the floor.

Reactions: LBR

Wulffpack

It would seem that for 2021 Heartland figured out that they needed to lock their residential frigs in place. Our unit came with a matching colored 1x3 trim piece attached to two L brackets across the top. They also sealed it to the top of the frig. It would be impossible for it to come out of the hole.
Can you send me a picture of how your fridge is secured? bobwulff at gmail.com

FL-JOE

Trim board across the top that has L brackets behind it. Then at the bottom, one on each side two more L brackets screwed into the floor.

Attachments

• B1456FA9-B334-40FA-BB3B-066B6D630FF3.jpeg
    B1456FA9-B334-40FA-BB3B-066B6D630FF3.jpeg
    213.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 4DBA2596-7964-4033-821A-8ABA830F954A.jpeg
    4DBA2596-7964-4033-821A-8ABA830F954A.jpeg
    466.5 KB · Views: 19