TIPS for reducing pin weight/overall weight 1000 lbs Cyclone 3100

Miltp920

So, let's say "hypothetically speaking " thay "someone I know " was 1300 lbs over GCVWR. IF my goal was to remove unwanted extra weight, to get down to 22,000 gross, would anyone have some useful ideas, short of buying a bigger truck? I am trying to figure out if I can put off the dually until I upgrade to the 3 axle toyhauler. I have considered removing the Onan generator and storing it until sell time(ONLYif that would solve my issue-last resort). We never use it, I have it for emergency and resale. Obviously I need to empty my truck bed of everything ( I do carry a few tubs of firewood, and air compressor in truck bed). I can't believe I have overloaded the TH with personal "stuff". I wish I had weighed it when I left the dealer, before I put an ounce of my stuff in it. Does anyone know if the Onan generator is included in dry weight? We were to understand that our 3100 DRY weight was under12,000 AND 15,500 included 2500 lbs cargo in garage and 1000 lbs of personal stuff. Can anyone validate? Has anyone had this issue and solved it by moving or removing extra weight?

ramdually4100king

If you have a 20 gallon water heater draining it will lighten the load about 160lbs. Only use one propane tank and plug the unused side. That will remove about 75lbs. Removing tailgate is another 75lbs. If you have good road side service and trust your tires the spare on the truck and tv weigh about 150lbs.
Good luck removing gen.

bigdob24

I was in the same type situation that your in with two of my RVs and trucks.
it sounds like you may shed some weight and possibly get close but it will always be a problem to watch.
I never was over on combined weight , but over on pin weight, and what really bothered me was that with the latest RV I have I was within 100 lbs of the rear axel rating of my previous truck, that was an empty RV.
thats when I solved the worry and bough a Dully. Never planed For one but thats what I now have and no more over weight worries.
Good luck shedding pounds but like dieting it always comes back ;-)
p

Miltp920

Great ideas. Wow, I did not want it to come to this. After much analyzing, I will probably have to buy bigger truck to be legal. I have pulled it fine for 2000 miles, but unfortunately it is not legal. I am more over on the truck portion than the 5er, so I think I am up a creek.
If you have a 20 gallon water heater draining it will lighten the load about 160lbs. Only use one propane tank and plug the unused side. That will remove about 75lbs. Removing tailgate is another 75lbs. If you have good road side service and trust your tires the spare on the truck and tv weigh about 150lbs.
Good luck removing gen.

Fixer

I'm not in the same weight category as you, but I bought a North Trail 22 foot RV that weighs about 1500# more than the Jayco trailer I had. My 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 Hemi and 4X4 pulled my new trailer OK but I was at 82% of my towing capacity until I hit a 5 mile uphill 6% grade torture test for the Jeep. Well I made it to the top with coolant indicator in the red and the Oil over temp bell going off and my speed was down to 10 MPH in 1st gear on the auto transmission. I found a web site that I cannot find again that showed my trailers weight OK on the level or near my Jeeps max tow capacity of 7200# but I picked up almost 1400# climbing the hill that put me about 1000# over my max towing capacity. I had to sell my Jeep and bought a RAM Pickup that gives me about 4 times the towing capacity. Remember that hills equal gravity and the added weight can be an engine killer If your near you maximum towing capacity anyway.

pegmikef

. Does anyone know if the Onan generator is included in dry weight?

You should have a yellow sticker on your main entry door frame that will have the actual dry weight as it left the factory. This will be different than the advertised dry weight because it accounts for any options that were added. If your generator was installed at the factory then it will be included in the weight on the yellow sticker. If the dealer installed it then it will NOT be included in the weight on the sticker.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
You should have a yellow sticker on your main entry door frame that will have the actual dry weight as it left the factory. This will be different than the advertised dry weight because it accounts for any options that were added. If your generator was installed at the factory then it will be included in the weight on the yellow sticker. If the dealer installed it then it will NOT be included in the weight on the sticker.

What Mike said is true. The "advertised" dry weight is before options. All the RV manufacturers advertise this way. RV salesmen perpetuate the problem.

diesel_doberman

I'm not in the same weight category as you, but I bought a North Trail 22 foot RV that weighs about 1500# more than the Jayco trailer I had. My 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 Hemi and 4X4 pulled my new trailer OK but I was at 82% of my towing capacity until I hit a 5 mile uphill 6% grade torture test for the Jeep. Well I made it to the top with coolant indicator in the red and the Oil over temp bell going off and my speed was down to 10 MPH in 1st gear on the auto transmission. I found a web site that I cannot find again that showed my trailers weight OK on the level or near my Jeeps max tow capacity of 7200# but I picked up almost 1400# climbing the hill that put me about 1000# over my max towing capacity. I had to sell my Jeep and bought a RAM Pickup that gives me about 4 times the towing capacity. Remember that hills equal gravity and the added weight can be an engine killer If your near you maximum towing capacity anyway.

I've been in a similar spot except I started the down grade and was smoking at the bottom. New truck solved that.

Also I want your ram truck. 28,800 lbs towing capacity!!! HAha

camr

A suggestion in a previous thread that REALLY hit home for me was to remove anything that you haven't used in 6 months. For me personally, purging my water, sewer, and electrical bins would drop the weight by hundreds of pounds. This suggestion is not for the faint of heart pack rat who is ready for any campsite repair.

Garypowell

Being that little over the GCVWR is probably not that big a concern. Obviously if there are legal or ethical considerations then that is a different story.

I am am always at my limit and simply drive a little under the speed limit, put a little more distance behind someone and keep an eye on all your tires and it will be OK.

Miltp920

I am looking for a 1 ton that has a GCVWR of around 26,000-28,000 plus. I am driving a 2003, so I will look in that year range, maybe up to 2006. I will hopefully never have that accident that kills someone and puts me in jail for vehicular manslaughter (I read such a post yesterday on another site) BUT at least I won't have to worry about it anymore. When the right deal shows up, I will just solve the problem. I was convinced that I had enough truck for this toyhauler. I did not know which questions to ask. Will it pull it, yes. Should it pull it (GCVWR GAWR) NO. My research shows not many older trucks out there that can legally stay within GCVWR for the 3100 cyclone, not to mention the 18K + 4000 that I dream about.

Miltp920

But that will not change the label GMC put on my truck for GCVWR 22,000 total pounds, even though we all know it can pull it without struggling. And 9200 lbs total on truck alone. My reading says WE can add airbags and stiffer springs and better brakes but IF someone else pulls out in front of you or you get involved in a multiple car pileup because someone else screwed up but your heavy tow vehicle /toyhauler crushes someones mother, kid, or baby, YOU could still be sued for vehicular manslaughter and lose EVERYTHING. Chance is slim, but possible. With my luck, it would happen to me. and now since there is evidence on the social media that I know I am overweight, I better get legal. LESSON, if you are going to roll the dice and play dumb to your weight limits IF sued, do NOT say on any social media, like this one, what you know or suspect about your vehicles weight limits. I suspect it could be used against you in a courtroom.

19.5 in. Truck tires. Good for 4500 lbs apiece at 110psi.

lynndiwagoner

Good point, but I would say that any truck, even dually's, would have a hard time stopping a rig without good trailer brakes, that's why they're required. If the trailer brakes are ineffective in any way I would not get on the road. I think you could be sued (slim chance) if your trailer brakes could be proved to be defective. Of course, nothing will change that label on the vehicle. I got the 19.5 tires for piece of mind.

traveler44

Can you raise the hitch to throw more weight on the fifth wheel axles? Keep in mind that you want to keep a certain ratio of weight on the hitch for safe towing. The real pin weight is usually 1000-1500 lbs heavier than what is advertised. Any dealer who tells people that an undersized truck can handle a big fifth wheel should be held responsible for damages caused to an unsuspecting customer. They tell people all the time that "THIS UNIT CAN BE TOWED WITH A HALF TON TRUCK'. Some of these rigs can't honestly be towed safely with a one ton truck with single rear wheels.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
If the Onan is factory installed, it's weight is included in the yellow sticker on the door. The units are weighed when coming off the line so it includes all factory installed options....