Tire age and the debate over safety

uncledon

Her chauffeur
So this whole thing for me started back when I lost two Carlisle tires on my 2002 Wildcat years ago (not at the same time). Until then I was like many who failed to pay close attention to the only thing that was between my investment and the road...the tires. Since then I started being more aware of the condition of the tires on my TV as well as the thing I was towing, be it my fiver, boat, or utility trailer.

I then learned about dating the tires, but didn't really connect the dots until recently. The new tires were installed back in January of 2015. A few weeks back I happened to notice the date stamp and was shocked to see that the tires had been manufactured sometime in the second week of November 2004! I guess I am pretty naive to think that like most things in the manufacturing industry, where they end up with the consumer in a relatively short time, tires can sit on a shelf for years.

Knowing what many say about how long a tire is considered safe to run, I wondered what does the industry have to say. Apparently that's been changing over the years right along with the industry. Here's an excerpt from a article on the Edmunds website dated 07/15/2014:

Carmakers, tire makers and rubber manufacturers differ in their opinions about the lifespan of a tire. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has no specific guidelines on tire aging and defers to the recommendations of carmakers and tire manufacturers. Carmakers such as Nissan and Mercedes-Benz tell consumers to replace tires six years after their production date, regardless of tread life. Tire manufacturers such as Continental and Michelin say a tire can last up to 10 years, provided you get annual tire inspections after the fifth year. The Rubber Manufacturers Association says there is no way to put a date on when a tire "expires," because such factors as heat, storage and conditions of use can dramatically reduce the life of a tire.

Tire Rack posted this on their website:

How many years will tires last before aging out? Unfortunately it's impossible to predict when tires should be replaced based on their calendar age alone.

The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and tire manufacturers are currently studying the many variables. Exposure to the elements (sun and atmospheric), regularity of use (frequent or only occasional) and the quality of care (maintaining proper inflation pressure, wheel alignment, etc.) will all influence the answer. So while tire life depends on the service conditions and the environment in which they operate, the difficult task remains how to identify all of the variables that influence a tire's calendar age and attempt to quantify their influence.

As with many things in life, it boils down to being informed, using uncommon sense, and paying attention to your equipment. My attitude is better safe than sorry, so I'll continue to keep an eye on my tires while on the road making regular checks. Having a TPMS is a good thing, but it's not fail safe so don't feel too comfortable if you have one. Using a chronological based plan to change them probably is a good idea, but just how long seems to still be up for debate.

uncledon

Her chauffeur
No Dan, I did a "double take" so I know they were that old. Apparently that's not unusual either. Guess you need to check before you buy.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ksucats

When I went to replace the tires on my SOB (before my current Landmark) my Goodyear dealer rejected a total of six tires that came in because they were over 18 months old. I had initially looked at the first set and saw that the ages were from several months before to almost 2.5 years before. John said he'd try to get something newer in for me. Took them a couple of weeks but I ended up with tires that were only two months old when installed. Now, being nosy I went and checked several of their 'new' tires on the floor and found some passenger tires that were over six years old. Told John what I had found and he said it was not that unusual for some of the less standard sizes to be that old - in some cases they had been at the store for some time, others they came in that way.

pegmikef

All I know is that most of the incidents I have read about or am aware of on blowouts on G614s, the tires had been on the trailer four or more years with a large variance in actual mileage. I replaced mine (even though they looked good) at three and 1/2 years and 30,000 miles . . . cheap insurance). I plan on replacing my TV tires at 50,000 miles and a little over four years even though they still look good. I figure the TV tires don't get as stressed or as much pressure on the sidewalls in turns and backing.

sengli

Talking around the fire ring while camping a while ago. Some of the hard core campers told me that 7 years is the life of a RV tire, regardless of the mileage.

uncledon

Her chauffeur
Yup, it really boils down to how much chance is one willing to take on something that, to a large degree, can't be quantified. This summer all four will get changed out on my fiver. At least then I will feel better when we take off in the fall.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ksucats

There are just so many variables -- heat and humidity, amount of highway (65/70 mph) driving versus slower speeds, types of roads (off-road gravel/dirt or all pavement), weight of the unit, not to mention the types of turns /sidewall stresses put on them. I have no idea which is better or worse for tires - I've been going by the six to seven year rule on the last two trailers but they were much lighter than our current one. Personally I think six years is a good run and felt that seven was pushing it a bit.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Our first TT was a 1978 Coachman that we bought well used and owned for almost 15 years:

Camper10767.jpg

The same tires (some no-name off brand truck tire) that were on it when we brought it home for the first time were still on it when we traded it in for our previous 2013 Heartland Trail Runner.

We dragged that thing all over Colorado and into New Mexico for years.

Funny that we used to never worry about tires and stuff until China took over most of the manufacturing of just about everything . . . :confused:

SLO

Our first TT was a 1978 Coachman that we bought well used and owned for almost 15 years:

View attachment 50689

The same tires (some no-name off brand truck tire) that were on it when we brought it home for the first time were still on it when we traded it in for our previous 2013 Heartland Trail Runner.

We dragged that thing all over Colorado and into New Mexico for years.

Funny that we used to never worry about tires and stuff until China took over most of the manufacturing of just about everything . . . :confused:

Love that that picture. Thanks for posting it. We had a 1982 Coachman bunkhouse. We had for 20 years and spent most of our vacations in it when the kids were little. When I would replace the tires on our van, I would put those used tires on the Coachman. Ignorance is bliss.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

Goodyear will fix your rig if the G614's are five years old or less. Over five and your on your own. So five max or less for trailer tires and seven for car tires. I have never gone close to having tires on a car for seven years. I did have a 64 mile commute each day so I would wear them out long before seven years. Now that I am retired, I need to keep an eye on my wife's car tires. She puts less than 4k a year on it. My truck will have its tires replaced by the end of this year which will make five years. Also new some new tires state 80k miles. If you drive a lot fine, but if not you do not need 80k mile tires.

Another thing that limits tire life is having a nail or screw go into the tire and then fly out with out going all the way through. It happens. This allows water to get into the steal belt and begin to rust it. Tread separation will occur because the rust destroys the rubber metal bond. It will take a couple of years or so. My friend who was a Michelin manufacture rep had seen many tire failures that happened this way. If the customer would listen to the explanation of why the tire failed while looking at the rusted belt, he would authorize a free replacement. Of not, well they were on their own.

Lynn1130

Depending upon the tire, 3 to 4 years is pretty much what is recommended in Arizona. Where you store it or park also comes into play. Dry rot is a major issue with tires here, as well as any rubber item. 5 to 7 years is asking for some real road problems if they even stay inflated that long. I know there are some who are going to say, I ran them X number of years with no problems. Perhaps, then again what could the results of a blowout be?