Tire Blow Out

Piperflyer

Had a guy pass me today on I-10E doing about 75 mph with two tractor trailers behind him. When he pulled back in the lane in front of me I heard an explosion and then watched his right rear 5th wheel tire disintegrate in a hundred pieces. He did a great job letting the trucks go by and took his time slowing down so I wouldn't be right up his ***. This is one reason I have the TST Tire Monitors and keep my speed under 65 mph while towing.

Sniper

Had a guy pass me today on I-10E doing about 75 mph with two tractor trailers behind him. When he pulled back in the lane in front of me I heard an explosion and then watched his right rear 5th wheel tire disintegrate in a hundred pieces. He did a great job letting the trucks go by and took his time slowing down so I wouldn't be right up his ***. This is one reason I have the TST Tire Monitors and keep my speed under 65 mph while towing.
I can assure you when he relays his story on an RV forum somewhere he will say he NEVER drives faster than 65. :rolleyes: LOL

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I can assure you when he relays his story on an RV forum somewhere he will say he NEVER drives faster than 65. :rolleyes: LOL

And it's the trailer manufacturer's fault!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alexb2000

I'll be the first to admit I tow my trailer over 65, sometimes even as fast as the speed limit.

I guess that makes me a menace to society.:rolleyes:

At least I'm not as bad as all those Uhaul drivers blowing past me with those "speed limit 55" stickers.

Sniper

I'll be the first to admit I tow my trailer over 65, sometimes even as fast as the speed limit.

I guess that makes me a menace to society.:rolleyes:

At least I'm not as bad as all those Uhaul drivers blowing past me with those "speed limit 55" stickers.
I don't know about the menace to society part, but it does make you a menace to your 65 mph speed rated trailer tires (if you still have them) and, your trailer.

As far as rental truck driver's, well, they all seem to become class 8 professionals as soon as they hit the road. (LOL) The 55 mph is a corporate insurance/legal/liability thing, not a tire speed rating thing.

I guess the best thing is, although we read about a lot of trailer tire blow outs, we only hear of a very few that results in anything worse than property damage, which truly is a blessing. :)

alexb2000

I don't know about the menace to society part, but it does make you a menace to your 65 mph speed rated trailer tires (if you still have them) and, your trailer.

As far as rental truck driver's, well, they all seem to become class 8 professionals as soon as they hit the road. (LOL) The 55 mph is a corporate insurance/legal/liability thing, not a tire speed rating thing.

I guess the best thing is, although we read about a lot of trailer tire blow outs, we only hear of a very few that results in anything worse than property damage, which truly is a blessing. :)

I put on G614's.

On a serious note, I have not seen a correlation between speed and tire blowouts especially with a ~10mph difference. That said, (knock of wood), I have not had a single blowout on any vehicle even when I had class 8 trucks because I kept them on name brand virgins. I have applied that experience to all my other vehicles, the best quality tires I could find, properly rated and inflated, and I haven't had much in the way of tire problems on anything.

Are you limiting yourself to 65 because you have had tire problems with quality tires going faster?

avvidclif

I put on G614's.

On a serious note, I have not seen a correlation between speed and tire blowouts especially with a ~10mph difference. That said, (knock of wood), I have not had a single blowout on any vehicle even when I had class 8 trucks because I kept them on name brand virgins. I have applied that experience to all my other vehicles, the best quality tires I could find, properly rated and inflated, and I haven't had much in the way of tire problems on anything.

Are you limiting yourself to 65 because you have had tire problems with quality tires going faster?

The "sweet" spot for my truck is 64-65. I got rid of the 65 MPH blowmaxes and went to 75MPH Sailuns for the peace of mind. Last weekend was the first time I have neither had a tailwind or a head wind when towing and the TV pulling that aerodynamic 15k brick got 10.5. I was more than pleased.

I just realized I was by myself, no DW. Uh-oh....

alexb2000

The "sweet" spot for my truck is 64-65. I got rid of the 65 MPH blowmaxes and went to 75MPH Sailuns for the peace of mind. Last weekend was the first time I have neither had a tailwind or a head wind when towing and the TV pulling that aerodynamic 15k brick got 10.5. I was more than pleased.

I just realized I was by myself, no DW. Uh-oh....

Fuel mileage I can definitely understand. 10.5 is impressive.

sengli

The other day I had a garbage truck in front of me blow a rear tire as well. I wasnt that close to him, and we were only doing 60...but I was amazed at how loud that tire explosion was. Not a lot of debris from it, but the concussion was really louder than I ever would have expected.

Lynn1130

My tires are rated above 65 and I have gotten to 75 or 80 a time or two passing but like most my best fuel mileage is around 65 and I see no reason to go careening down the highway at higher speeds with that much weight behind me. Now the car is a different story.

However, with both blowouts, one with Blow Max tires at 3000 miles on them and the other with higher rated tires I have been properly aired, and at 65 mph. Tires can be only a year or two old but cornering, backing into 90 degree spaces, and contact with a curb or two can cause a surprise later and when you least expect it.

Sniper

I put on G614's.

The sweet spot for my truck is 1900-2000 rpm, which is roughly 62ish mph. So that's where we run, unless of course the Commander say's: I need a latrine. NOW! :cool:

avvidclif

The other day I had a garbage truck in front of me blow a rear tire as well. I wasnt that close to him, and we were only doing 60...but I was amazed at how loud that tire explosion was. Not a lot of debris from it, but the concussion was really louder than I ever would have expected.

Yep, that's what 110lbs + of pressure sounds like. You don't want to be around one when it blows either. I had a rear trailer tire blow on a flatbed and it bent the steel safety bumper at a 90 deg angle. Had to heat it with a torch to get it back.

Sniper

Fuel mileage I can definitely understand. 10.5 is impressive.
At the bottom of the picture is the fuel mileage on our last long trip. (less than 15 miles of the total miles was "just the truck". One trip to the store, and a trip to fill up after we got home). :)

GEDC1663.jpg

Nuclearcowboy

I put on G614's.

I'm glad to see this post - it really gives me pause in how I drive. I run the Sailun 'G' rated tires and up until now, I usually drive the speed limit on the Interstate (70 mph unless you are in Texas!). I haven't had any issues with tires to date but maybe I've been lucky. BTW, I got 11.3 mpg on my last trip out to Texas and back and thought that was OK. In reading this thread, guess that is pretty decent. In any case, I'm thinking of backing it down a bit in the future.

tireman9

My tires are rated above 65 and I have gotten to 75 or 80 a time or two passing but like most my best fuel mileage is around 65 and I see no reason to go careening down the highway at higher speeds with that much weight behind me. Now the car is a different story.

However, with both blowouts, one with Blow Max tires at 3000 miles on them and the other with higher rated tires I have been properly aired, and at 65 mph. Tires can be only a year or two old but cornering, backing into 90 degree spaces, and contact with a curb or two can cause a surprise later and when you least expect it.

What are your tires rated for? I am not aware of any ST type tires with speed rating above 65 being made prior to 2016.
While some new production (2016) ST type tires claim to be rated for 75, people need to remember that the main reason ST type tires have a higher load capacity then LT is that St tires were rated for 65 mph MAX with 55 the expected normal usage. While sales and marketing types may want to tell you your tires are good for higher speed it's pretty hard to argue against physics.
Since it the air that carries the load and speed + load controls the operating temperature I have no idea why people think that molding the letters "ST" on a tire sidewall bestows some magic power to carry more load at the same speed than an LT tire.