Tire Hardware

Rysonn

A couple of weeks ago we took our 2nd trip in our new to us Pioneer RG26 Toy Hauler and, unfortunately, had a blowout on the highway. We quickly learned that the new to us toy hauler had no spare and no tire changing tools. Thankfully we got a local mobile service to come and install a new tire. Thus it leads me to this:

1) I know that I need to purchase a mounted spare for the RV so that we have one. That doesn't seem to be too difficult.
2) I need to purchase a lug wrench that fits.

That leads me to my question. Does anyone know what size lug wrench I need to purchase for the toy hauler? It is in storage right now, otherwise I would test it on my sockets until I found the right size and go from there.

Thanks for your help.

RickL

I would suggest getting a battery operated 1/2” impact wrench along with a selection of impact sockets. Not sure what size your lug nuts are, but I’m sure someone will chime in. The impact comes in handy for a number of things. Also, you might want to buy a hydraulic jack if you don’t have one. Just make sure it’s heavy enough for either the tow vehicle or trailer.

Reactions: BST

mlpeloquin

You also need a proper torque wrench. Do not rely on hand tightening or impact wrench to get it correct.

Reactions: BST

Rysonn

You also need a proper torque wrench. Do not rely on hand tightening or impact wrench to get it correct.
I'm afraid we have none of these specs. I have no problem buying the necessary items. But as I mentioned I don't even know what lug size they are or what they would need to be torqued to.

pegmikef

Every Heartland I have owned, the torque has been 120 foot pounds. The lug nuts on my Landmark are 7/8. I have a craftsman torque wrench.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
My Landmark lugs on 16” wheels are 3/4. Suggest you get a kit with multiple socket sizes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoveredWagon

My 2018 Bighorn uses a 7/8 socket. Be careful,using an impact driver (gun etc.) on the factory lug nuts, they are capped nuts and can be damaged. Safer way to handle that situation is to but a long breaker bar.

mlpeloquin

You can find a great lug socket set a Harbor Freight in a plastic case. They also have a nice extension for it as well at a reasonable price. Just remember, to set the torque wrench to zero when storing. If you do not, they will all go out of calibration over time. The size of the nut should be stamped on the lug. If not, take one to an auto parts store and they can check it for you.

NYSUPstater

Harbor Freight has a 1/2" "Earthquake" impact for like 230 bucks (may find some others cheaper) which I carry along with:

12 ton bottle jack
wood blocking for jack if the 6pt level up won't work or need to use on truck
Tq wrench that goes up past 160 Ft Lbs (Kobalt)
Impact sockets for truck and TV (1 for each lug nut size)
Neon Yellow safety vest
Tri angles (Like semis use)

donr827

Some good ideas mentioned but since you are looking for the size of the nuts you might change the title of your thread to something like "RG26 Lug Nuts".

dewwood

I have found roadside assistance to be a very good investment. Some vehicle insurance provides it mine does. There are also several companies that offer it AAA and Good Sam are two but there are many others.

Gary521

A couple of weeks ago we took our 2nd trip in our new to us Pioneer RG26 Toy Hauler and, unfortunately, had a blowout on the highway. We quickly learned that the new to us toy hauler had no spare and no tire changing tools. Thankfully we got a local mobile service to come and install a new tire. Thus it leads me to this:

1) I know that I need to purchase a mounted spare for the RV so that we have one. That doesn't seem to be too difficult.
2) I need to purchase a lug wrench that fits.

That leads me to my question. Does anyone know what size lug wrench I need to purchase for the toy hauler? It is in storage right now, otherwise I would test it on my sockets until I found the right size and go from there.

Thanks for your help.
You need a set of sockets for the trailer anyway. Lug nuts are around 3/4", 13/16" or 7/8" get these along with a long breaker bar. You will also learn quickly that you need to carry other tools as there is always something.

jimcat

I have a nice socket set.. but, what size are the lug nuts on a 2015 Heartland landmark 365 newport. We have it at a friends and the tire folks suggest they get re torqued at 100 miles.. well they now have 560 miles . I do not want to lug the entire tool box over, and I have the old craftsman torque wrench not the newer dial one. but goes to 140lbs

CoveredWagon

Its a 7/8 inch socket. I recommend a 6 point. Torque will either 120 or 140 ft lbs depending on the stud size. Do not over torque them.

SLO

If you have the lug nuts with thin chrome metal pressed over steel lug nuts, the 12 point will sometimes cam/slip over the edges of the nut. The 6 point won’t do that. If your lug nuts are solid steel, weather plated or not, the 12 point is fine. Unless you use an impact gun, not recommended, then it’s 6 point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sengli

Definitely re-torque the lugs nuts after towing. I found mine loosened after being towed, better part of the summer before they stayed tight on their own. I carry two 20 ton bottle jacks, and a electric impact gun for the lugs.

BST

Attached is Lippert's recommendations.

Attachments

• Wheel Torques.pdf
    234.8 KB · Views: 23

jimcat

I do not have a torque wrench that goes to 325 ft pounds.. In pretty sure I have the flange style nut on 17.5 in tires. I do not even know if I have enough arm strength for that

NYSUPstater

You can p/u a nice HD Kobalt or Craftsman 1/2" drive TQ wrench for under 100 bucks at Lowes as both will go to at least 200 Ft Lbs.