Tire Inflation Info

kab449

My Bighorn has Sailun Load Rang G 16" tires on it with max inflation of 110 lbs. I usually look at the tire inflation vs load charts from the tire manufacturer to get the recommended inflation pressure but cannot find one for this manufacturer. When I took delivery of the trailer they had 110 lbs in them. Do most owners just carry max inflation or is there a chart someplace to get the pressure based on load?

Miltp920

Pretty sure the tire experts will chime in soon. I have always read max tire inflation with tire cold. I would run 110 psi to allow the maximum carry capacity for the tire. Under-inflation damages the tire.

Aandaar

I always run 110 in mine. To much hassle to weigh the rig every time I load or unload the dang thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigGuy82

I inflate to 110 when cold. If you are traveling across areas with large temperature differences, check and set tire pressure in the morning before you depart. I'm with Aandaar - I don't constantly weigh the rig - only at the beginning of every long trip. Regarding Sailun tires, you won't find much info on them - including servicing dealers - kind of a no-name brand. When this set dies, I'm switching to Goodyear - at least I can find a servicing dealer. Also, I have a TPMS system, so it's easy to see if the tires are maintaining good pressure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kab449

Thanks for the replies. It will be max inflation for my rig. I had a motorhome previous that had Michelins on. They had detailed charts to guide you. They were 110 max also but I could run 85 in them to help the ride. When it comes time to change I'll be looking at things like that.

danemayer

Some tire engineers say that you should run at the cold pressure stamped in the sidewall for at least 3 reasons.

1) Trailer tires are subjected to extreme sidewall forces and running fully inflated reduces the possibility of sidewall damage in tight turns.
2) Unless you have individual wheel weights, it's not safe to assume the weight on the wheels is evenly distributed. You could easily overload some of your tires by operating at a reduced pressure.
3) An inflation margin provides a safety net, similar to what you have on auto or light truck tires where the weight rating provides a significant margin not found on most trailer tires.

Most of the Heartland trailers using Sailun tires are in the 15,000+ GVWR territory. Unless your GVWR is way, way below that, you should probably go with 110 psi, measured in the morning, out of direct sun, before traveling.

SNOKING

And Michelin CS told me when running XPS Ribs that over inflation can lead to impact damage and it reduces the contact patch, which then reduces braking ability of the tire. When the S37 was labeled as a LT tire it carried the same weight ratings as the GY G614. Now that it is labeled as an ST tire it got inflated ratings beyond the industry standard inflation tables that span all brands.

This link has the inflation table for the G614.

http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf

For poly carcass ST tires I believe full sidewall inflation is best. For steel ply carcasses I am not so sure. For blow Max tires the air should be let out and the tires removed from the rims, and moved via CL to some land service guys utility trailer.

Chris

BigGuy82

Suggest that as long as you are researching tire pressure, you also look at Centramatic wheel balancers.

kab449

Suggest that as long as you are researching tire pressure, you also look at Centramatic wheel balancers.

They are nice, but not sure that use on a recreational trailer would yield meaningful cost savings to justify the steep cost. I had the wheel/tire assembly balanced with weights when I installed the Ford tire pressure sensors that came with my 2017 F250 Super Duty.

Chris:
The Goodyear charts you referenced are what I was trying to find for the Sailun's. Going by the Goodyear chart I could run 90-95 lbs based on the weights and help soften the ride and prevent the middle tread from wearing excessively. I am trying to find a local distributer to try obtaining the chart for my size. If I can't obtain one I'll just run max inflation and keep watching tire wear and temperature with my infrared thermometer.

BigGuy82

They are nice, but not sure that use on a recreational trailer would yield meaningful cost savings to justify the steep cost. I had the wheel/tire assembly balanced with weights when I installed the Ford tire pressure sensors that came with my 2017 F250 Super Duty.

Chris:
The Goodyear charts you referenced are what I was trying to find for the Sailun's. Going by the Goodyear chart I could run 90-95 lbs based on the weights and help soften the ride and prevent the middle tread from wearing excessively. I am trying to find a local distributer to try obtaining the chart for my size. If I can't obtain one I'll just run max inflation and keep watching tire wear and temperature with my infrared thermometer.

Depending on mileage, balancing with conventional weights only lasts a few months because tires don't wear evenly. Prior to installing Centramatics, it was my habit to rebalance tires at every other rotation. RV tires are large and expensive, so longer life translates into bucks. Better balance that extends tire life is a no brainer in my book unless you don't travel much. There's also the matter of a smoother ride so you don't have as much vibration in the trailer to cause destructive damage to the coach and contents. I also put them on my 2016 F350 dually - front and back.

Regarding your comment to Chris, I take it that the new Ford TPMS does not monitor tire temperature. My system does and I watch that as much as, if not more than, tire pressure.

mlpeloquin

I have had my 5er and truck weighed at the national rallies. I know the weight on each tire. Load inflation chart for Goodyear 614's requires 90psi minimum. I run with 100psi and when traveling long distances 105psi so I do not have to adjust the pressure do to temperature or altitude changes. I also use a tire pressure/temperature monitor as well. The 5er does bounce a little with 105psi when going over rough roads. Once in a while we see things that have fallen out of a kitchen cabinet.

kab449

Regarding your comment to Chris, I take it that the new Ford TPMS does not monitor tire temperature. My system does and I watch that as much as, if not more than, tire pressure.
Dick: The Ford supplied tire monitors do not monitor temperature. They also do not allow set points to sound an alarm if they are exceeded. I have a TST system that I took off my Motorehome when traded that I am installing on the Bighorn. I will, as another member posted, keep the TST display in the center console so I can hear the audible alarm when a tire goes out of spec. The Ford system integrates with the center trailer setup display on the truck dash making it convenient to monitor the complete trailer hookup status.

NYSUPstater

Our 5er (FR) has 16"LT tires and sidewall says 80 PSI cold and thats where they are set at 24/7/365. No problems. Coach weighs fully loaded, 13k and max GVW of 13,800.

As for the Sailun/God Year debate. GY are like 2x-3x more than Sailuns. Sailun while and "off brand" name has had very good results w/ RV tires. GY was only game in town for this size/rating---hence the higher price as they thought that had the market cornered. If Michelin made LT tires in "G" ratings, good bye GY & Sailun.

BigGuy82

Our 5er (FR) has 16"LT tires and sidewall says 80 PSI cold and thats where they are set at 24/7/365. No problems. Coach weighs fully loaded, 13k and max GVW of 13,800.

As for the Sailun/God Year debate. GY are like 2x-3x more than Sailuns. Sailun while and "off brand" name has had very good results w/ RV tires. GY was only game in town for this size/rating---hence the higher price as they thought that had the market cornered. If Michelin made LT tires in "G" ratings, good bye GY & Sailun.

Regarding the Sailun/Goodyear debate, there really is no debate in my book. My Sailun tires have been good so far (only 6,000 miles) but regardless of how they perform, they are in fact a "no name" and as such have a small (non-existent?) dealer network. Warranty problems? Where do I go if I'm on the road? I beleive a strong dealer network is important to product support and Sailun doesn't have one. When these go (or if one prematurely fails), all four are getting replaced with Goodyears. However, if Michelin (or any other name brand) is in the arena when it's time to switch, I'll look at those also - I'm not at all married to Goodyear and I've used many tire brands over the years. In fact, I'd love to see alternative recommendations if anyone has them.

By the way, I know there are lots of folks who swear by Sailuns, so it would be helpful if you all shared your positive (or negative) customer service experiences. Where did you find service? How easy was it to get the issue handled? How would you rate the overall response? It might change some minds.

jnbhobe

I think GY is way over priced, I have had 10 of them and problems with 5, Three of them were tread separations and were always at 110 psi. They also are not that easy to find since they are a commercial tire usually only stocked by truck dealers. I only know of two Sailun stocking dealers. http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com/ and Ron Russell. But most all the tire dealers I deal with can get Sailun from their warehouses.

BigGuy82

I think GY is way over priced, I have had 10 of them and problems with 5, Three of them were tread separations and were always at 110 psi. They also are not that easy to find since they are a commercial tire usually only stocked by truck dealers. I only know of two Sailun stocking dealers. http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com/ and Ron Russell. But most all the tire dealers I deal with can get Sailun from their warehouses.

What's the contact info for Ron Russell - can't find him on the web.