Tire pressure monitoring system

LBR

i believe so, it’s been a few months since I messed with it but I recall setting a low pressure
Absolutely for a low pressure alarm...that is why we buy them. My TST has low pressure, high pressure, and high temperature.

Guess that brand you have wants the option to sound an alarm if tire air approaches freezing temperatures....lol.

ecencomo

I've done searches and cant really come up with a general consensus of who has the best TPMS on the market these days? This past summer I purchased an InnoTech (for RV's) tire pressure monitoring system https://mechanicguides.com/best-tire-pressure-systems/ for my '00 Suncruiser 35u mainly because I thought it was smart insurance to have. I had the system up and running with new batteries in all of the sensors and got the impression on our 1st outing that there might be a significant delay in showing differences in temp and pressure on the hand held head unit. It was definitely not real time like I had anticipated. This was confirmed by actually having an outer rear dualy blow out on the way home of this 1st trip. What are the odds, right?! Prior to the blowout everything looked normal on the monitor. No hi/low pressures, no flux in pressures, no temp differences, etc... I understand that a puncture or rupture style blowout might happen too quickly for the sensors to catch it but mine didn't start beeping at me until we had got the coach stopped, out to assess the damage, and back inside the unit. I was holding the hand held unit this entire time wondering why it was still reading good pressure and temp. The tire was off the bead when I got out of the coach so it's not like there was residual pressure that could be tricking the sensor. Anyway, sorry for the winded rant. What's everyone using and what actually works? I'm not impressed with the InnoTechRV unit I purchased.

Last edited:

pegmikef

158 degrees is considered safe for all tires per TST and tires fail between 170 - 200 degrees. Even if they are not 3 -4 % accurate, if I saw my tires getting up to 100 degrees I would pull over to investigate, though my tire pressure is only 50 psi.

All I can say, is you would be spend a lot of time pulling over if you were down here in Texas, New Mexico, Arkansas, Arizona, parts of California as it is not unusual for the temperatures to routinely exceed 100 degrees in the late spring, summer, and early fall months. The main thing to watch for is a spike in one tire's air temperature when compared to that of the other tires.

jerryjay11

All I can say, is you would be spend a lot of time pulling over if you were down here in Texas, New Mexico, Arkansas, Arizona, parts of California as it is not unusual for the temperatures to routinely exceed 100 degrees in the late spring, summer, and early fall months. The main thing to watch for is a spike in one tire's air temperature when compared to that of the other tires.

True. If one tire is spiking over the temp of the others that is a good sign something may be happening. If all tires are high temp then of course the outdoor ambient temp comes into play. I will stand corrected as 100 degrees alone isn't enough to alarm me in the southwest and after my last trip not so much in the northeast when temps are running in the 90's.

WBG

WBGavin
" What's everyone using and what actually works? I'm not impressed with the InnoTechRV unit I purchased."

We have had the TST (Truck System Technologies) - http://tstTruck.com - unit for several years and it works great. I highly recommend it. Be sure to get the repeater if your trailer is over 25 feet or so. If you have any questions, their customer service is great to work with. If I have to do it again, I would get sensors where you send them back in every 4-5 years to have them replace the batteries. Their turnaround time is next day in most cases.

epjim

We have a TST system on our Landmark & F350 (8 tires monitored). Also had 6 tires monitored with TST system on our previous motorhome for 6 years. Loved it!

Fox

I can not now say why I settled on the TST 507 system, but I did. My first complaint is while traveling it displays only a single tire at a time; I would prefer it to show all RV tires simultaneously and then alert me if necessary.

My second complaint is now that I've recently traded 5ths I can't find the actual sensors (I have the rest of the system, along with new batteries).

8404fmfvet

I was told by a employee at an rv center that it is helpful to put vasoline on the O ring to prevent any leak on the flow through sensors, I'm just wondering if anyone has done something similar or am I wasting time? just for reference I bought the TST 507.

Fox

I was told by a employee at an rv center that it is helpful to put vasoline on the O ring to prevent any leak on the flow through sensors, I'm just wondering if anyone has done something similar or am I wasting time? just for reference I bought the TST 507.

I don't see how that'd help seal a pressurized leak, and (don't take this as fact) I believe that vaseline is a petroleum product which is harmful to rubber; maybe a food grade silicone would do the same thing?

jerryjay11

I don't see how that'd help seal a pressurized leak, and (don't take this as fact) I believe that vaseline is a petroleum product which is harmful to rubber; maybe a food grade silicone would do the same thing?
Don't see how vaseline or any lubricant preventing leaks, but if used it does prevent the "O" Ring from sticking when removing the sensor. And yes, vaseline is a derivative of petroleum. Silicone lubricant is more desirable for this purpose.

2TrakR

Running the TST system with 507 flow through sensors for 6 years now. Happy with the system.
Have a repeater, it was needed to get good reading on our rig.
Information update is pretty fast, maybe not live, but within a few seconds when changes are happening (airing up tire, leaks, etc).