tire pressure

roy2

im wondering my trailer tires a are set to be 110 i set them april now in dec im in cold weatter now 30 s at nigth and 6o during the day im reading 102 103 0105 105 shuld i fill them back up tp 110 . before i hit the road again i have had to stay here for the past 4 months.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I’d leave them alone if you’re traveling into warmer temperatures. Ours were inflated to ~110# in September for a fall trip. Came home in November and parked it. We left cold weather about two weeks ago. Tire pressure per the TPMS was down to 103-104 per tire. As we drove of course the pressure increased. By day 2, in warmer weather, early morning cold pressures were back up to 108-110.

centerline

it makes little difference where you may be in two days or next week, or where you were last week, the tires should be inflated to the proper PSI at the temperature where they ARE CURRENTLY BEING RAN..... when the temps get considerably warmer, recheck them and see if they are too high.... running them at low pressure in cold weather, is the same as running them low at any other temperature....

BUT, 5% one way or the other is not going to hurt the tire, regardless of the ambient temperature.....
you can believe that when a tire running down the highway, carrying near maximum load, at speed, and it hits a big pot hole (or several) in the road, its pressure will spike much higher than you can imagine... no matter the temperature

ST tires have less forgiveness in their pressure requirements than the LT tires have, which can be ran at a lower pressure to improve the ride, but this improved ride comes at the cost of stability.... the high pressure ST tire will remain "standing up" as it lays into a corner at speed, where as the lower pressure LT tire can cause the trailer to drift towards the outside of the corner.... lower speeds will usually negate any noticeable drift due to tire pressure...

thewanderingeight

I hate how much thought I put into my tire PSI, but I think it's worth it. When we are ready to travel, I look at the current PSI, and the current temperature in the area, then look at the temperature where we will be heading. Sometimes it's a pretty big difference, especially when elevation is involved. I usually will try and err on the higher end of the PSI side, but my goal is to ensure I don't exceed the PSI limit and trigger the TPMS to alarm, then have to let some air out of the tires. After a while, I finally got a good grasp of how much temperature change will impact the PSI in our specific setup. On our last set of tires, we went through a cold patch that dropped our PSI, I thought we would run into some warmer temps sooner than we did, and ended up running underinflated for a while leading to uneven tire wear. An expensive lesson I don't plan to repeat!

Jadatis

If 110 psi is the highest pressure for max reserve, with still no screws trembling loose, wich I can calculate for you, you can yust let the pressure change with the temperature.
If tirefailure, real reason is a to natures law to low pressure for the real load on tire and speed used.

110 psi filled at 70 degrF, changes 1 psi per 4 degrF.
So at 30 degrF outside, so cold pressure also inside the tire, the pressure drops 40/4= 10 psi to 100 psi, and still no overheating of tire when driving 65mph, for wich ST are calculated maxload for.
This 4 degr/psi going from 60 degr F cold filled, wont give dramatic differences. So you can even calculate by head while driving, to check temperature reading of tmps.

So more important is to let me calculate a safe cold pressure for your weight on tires and used maximum speed ( wich you wont go over for even a minute).

Once you have that, check if pressure change is in line with temperature change. If so leave it.
This also means that you certainly must not lower the cold measured pressure at 100degF ambiënt temperature, even if higher then maximum given on sidewall or belonging to loadrange. If you do that, tire material gets hotter and overheated, wich is only allowed ZERO times in tires live.

With these high pressures you dont have to be afraid of snakebites.

Last edited:

centerline

If 110 psi is the highest pressure for max reserve, with still no screws trembling loose, wich I can calculate for you, you can yust let the pressure change with the temperature.
If tirefailure, real reason is a to natures law to low pressure for the real load on tire and speed used.

110 psi filled at 70 degrF, changes 1 psi per 4 degrF.
So at 30 degrF outside, so cold pressure also inside the tire, the pressure drops 40/4= 10 psi to 100 psi, and still no overheating of tire when driving 65mph, for wich ST are calculated maxload for.
This 4 degr/psi going from 60 degr F cold filled, wont give dramatic differences. So you can even calculate by head while driving, to check temperature reading of tmps.

So more important is to let me calculate a safe cold pressure for your weight on tires and used maximum speed ( wich you wont go over for even a minute).

Once you have that, check if pressure change is in line with temperature change. If so leave it.
This also means that you certainly must not lower the cold measured pressure at 100degF ambiënt temperature, even if higher then maximum given on sidewall or belonging to loadrange. If you do that, tire material gets hotter and overheated, wich is only allowed ZERO times in tires live.

With these high pressures you dont have to be afraid of snakebites.
I agree that the under inflation of the tires will be a bigger concern than over inflation, no matter what the temps or road conditions are....
with the outside temp thermometers and TPM sensors in modern vehicles, it should be easy to study the correlated changes between tire pressures and temperatures as we drive down the highway....

as convenient and informative as tire pressure monitors are, if your trailer is not equipped with sensors, the tires dont care... its up to the driver to know how the tires are inflated and what to expect as they drive a hot arizona highway, or driving over a cold mountain pass in a few hours.... and there should be no need to get out to check, inflate or deflate the tires to make the transition to different highway/atmospheric conditions....