tire rotation

aatauses

Hi everyone,
I read in Trailer Life that the right front tire takes the most abuse when towing while the left rear takes the less abuse. So what is the proper tire rotation for an RV (We have a BH 3670)? I have replaced tires, the latest being Sailums (advice from the forum) but never did any rotation---so what is proper and at what interval?
thanks, Al

Smitty325

Hi everyone,
I read in Trailer Life that the right front tire takes the most abuse when towing while the left rear takes the less abuse. So what is the proper tire rotation for an RV (We have a BH 3670)? I have replaced tires, the latest being Sailums (advice from the forum) but never did any rotation---so what is proper and at what interval?
thanks, Al
Sorry, these are radial tires, they can, (like your tow vehicle) rotate front to rear. If you change sides, you risk a belt separation...leading to a blowout.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Smitty325

Perhaps it is from curb abuse. But more likely the fact that most "well built" highways have a crown, which allows road trash to drift right (hopefully off the roadway). As a retired motor officer, we were trained to ride just left of center in any lane to avoid road trash.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

LBR

Probably due to the crown of road shifting the tall trailer weight onto right side tires....then the front will always get curb scuffed moreso than the rear, weaking the sidewall.

There was probably an $850,000 public funded consumer protection study done to arrive at this decision.

I too am a firm believer not to cross rotate tires due to the thousands of initial miles of directional wrapping of the steel belts on new tires. Many say last generations of tires are not affected, but I won't follow those lemmings.

WillyBill

Just curious,

What does our resident member Tire Expert say? Tireman can you weigh in on this please?

Thanks,

WB

hoefler

All road debris makes its way to the curb side, so the first curb tire is all ways running over it first.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I think that the old "can't swap radial tires from side to side" went away 20 years ago!

They do it on cars and trucks . . .

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
My Chevy dealer does it with my truck . . . so does Discount Tire, Big O and Tires Plus.

jnbhobe

I have switched sides of tires on all my cars and trucks since we started using radials with out problems. And I operate about 40 cars and trucks.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
According to Discount Tires, the only reason not to rotate tires left to right is if they are "marked" Directional tires and they will have an arrow on the side wall. Also they will be marked left or right on the side walls.

Otherwise all Radial tires maybe rotated left to right front to back without any issues.

Discount and Ram dealer have been rotating my truck tires every 10,000 miles and no issues on this or the previous 5 Rams. Discount also rotates the G614's every 10,000 on my Sundance as well.

ksucats

Manual for my Ford says to rotate front tires left to right side (front) and only rotate the rears if abnormal wear is noted, then as a pair, left to right side rear (or was it right to left side ;) ). Regardless, per manual side to side.