Tire wear - normal or abnormal

Lynn1130

Goodyear will fix your rig if they blow before five years

Will they replace the trailer and rig if the tire blows and the entire thing rolls? How about damage to you in a situation like that?

Generally, the recommended tire life on trailers here in the desert is 3-4 years MAX. Considering the damage that sun does to tires and the flexing that trailer tires go through in turns going over that is a roll of the dice. I generally do not go over 3 if I can avoid it. The last set that I did, one blew on the way to camp. I was at almost 4 years exactly.

I buy most all of my tires at Discount and have for the last 30 years or more. I trust them to be honest with me about tires because if it is a lemon they will get it back and they are very good about taking back tires that you do not like or wear badly. I have done that twice in those years. In every case when I have asked, the response is 3 years and do not go over 4 or suffer the consequences. My experience has shown them to be correct in at least two cases.

jerryjay11

One may consider this normal wear, but I have had tandem axles trailer, boat trailer and TT's, and never had the outside of the tire wear before the tire itself gave out. Even the tires I had that blew out the tread was fairly even. I've driven from Delaware to Texas, or Oregon, California, Rhode Island, South Carolina, etc. I've driven 40" tractor trailers and not experienced this in tires that are less than 2 years old. Maybe I'm just fortunate.