Tires in Texas...

Hi Folks, thanks in advance for the help. I am making a run to San Antonio Texas from Iowa to pick up a 2007 Cyclone 4012. Sorry I just couldn't swallow the pill for a new one. I will be picking it up on Monday Feb 13. It looks like they come with a tire that is "maybe a little suspect" and a 15" rim. My plan is to purchase new tires at the minimum ( 10 or 14 ply) but it looks like I might be better off moving up to 16" rims as well. I plan to do this before heading home with it. So here are my questions.

1. What rim/tire combo do you recommend?
( some ideas Gladiator 14 ply or Goodyear G614)

2. Does anyone have a tire shop they recommend in the San Antonio area?

3. Does anyone happen to know the bolt spacing and center hole diameter?

4. Any other advice, words of wisdom for my voyage.... :)

Thanks
Lewy

Last edited:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
You might consider ordering online. Many folks swear by these guys:

Www.trailertiresandwheels.com

For install, you can't beat Discount Tire. They are a regional chain. And they don't mind installing wheels/tires you bought elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boscowtx

Discount tire is the way to go, call ahead and make an appointment, they will treat you right, lots of locations in San Antonio

Lynn1130

+3 on Discount Tire. I have been dealing with them since the 70s and they have never treated me wrong or given me a bad deal.

dlw930

I just bought new Sailun load range G tires for 16" wheels from SimpleTire.com, had them shipped to a local Pep Boys store (a SimpleTire recommended installer) for mounting & balancing. Total cost around $175 per tire. I usually use Discount Tire, but the above arrangement worked very well at a very reasonable price.

Thanks for all the help. I like the Sailun tires and the web sites have been great. If 've done my homework correctly the Sailun tires are what come on the big Heartland campers now. I also like the goodyears but holy smokes are they expensive. As it turns out there is a discount tire about 5 miles from where I am picking up the camper. To make a long story short they have offered excellent customer service. My only question is are the tires they are offering good tires/worth the money? I will post pics. Prices are $1300 for tires and $600 for the rims.

004fdbc21d499cf0b14bc03713b24d26.jpg
7999ba8ce903335265066e3e5db1030d.jpg

These are what discount tire is offering....any thoughts?

dlw930

004fdbc21d499cf0b14bc03713b24d26.jpg
7999ba8ce903335265066e3e5db1030d.jpg

These are what discount tire is offering....any thoughts?

Discount Tire told me they couldn't order Sailun tires, but offered the Providers as an alternative. I told them I wan't familiar with their performance but knew the Sailun and Goodyear 14 ply tires had good track records and I wouldn't even consider putting anything else on my rig at this time. So I purchased the Sailuns elsewhere. I still like Discount Tire for quality and service, and will most likely use them for my new tow vehicle tires in the near future.

TravelTiger

The good thing about tires Discount is offering is that they all carry them. The bad thing is that they are unknown reliability. I'd go with Sailuns because there's been very very little about their failures. And the last thing you want to deal with towing your rig is a tire failure that can potentially damage your rig.

Ask them, if this tire fails and tears up my rig, will the tire company pay for it? Goodyear has done so.

Lynn1130

I have never heard of Discount saying that they could not order a certain tire. In all my years dealing with them they have ordered any tire that they did not have in stock, and there were not many of those. You might try Discount.com. They can ship to any discount store but I am very surprised that they say they cannot order a certain tire.

The guy at Discount tire said something about Sailun did not provide the amount of insurance they required so they wouldn't sell them. He also said they do their own testing on all the tires they sell, which I am inclined to believe. He talked highly of these tires from Taskmaster. I called the company today and they are in fact made in china...:confused: soooo that's unfortunate. They look like well made heavy tires but I've been to that rodeo before. Discount tire will stand behind them and even though I don't have a Discount tire anywhere in my state they would ship me one if I have a failure. That just doesn't work out real well when i'm sitting on the side of the interstate....

I got a hold of a place called "Billy Bobs" that also isn't too far away. The Goodyear G641 are $273 WOW and they can get the Sailuns in 14 ply for $116 plus mounting, taxes, etc. Now if they have some suitable rims we may have a winner.

Can someone verify that the 2007 Cyclone 4012 is in fact a 6 bolt pattern on 5 1/2" spacing? I believe they are Dexter axles so they should be pretty standard.

Thanks again for all the help thus far.

TravelTiger

The guy at Discount tire said something about Sailun did not provide the amount of insurance they required so they wouldn't sell them. He also said they do their own testing on all the tires they sell, which I am inclined to believe. He talked highly of these tires from Taskmaster. I called the company today and they are in fact made in china...:confused: soooo that's unfortunate. They look like well made heavy tires but I've been to that rodeo before. Discount tire will stand behind them and even though I don't have a Discount tire anywhere in my state they would ship me one if I have a failure. That just doesn't work out real well when i'm sitting on the side of the interstate....

I got a hold of a place called "Billy Bobs" that also isn't too far away. The Goodyear G641 are $273 WOW and they can get the Sailuns in 14 ply for $116 plus mounting, taxes, etc. Now if they have some suitable rims we may have a winner.

Can someone verify that the 2007 Cyclone 4012 is in fact a 6 bolt pattern on 5 1/2" spacing? I believe they are Dexter axles so they should be pretty standard.

Thanks again for all the help thus far.

I would verify that bolt pattern with your selling dealer, maybe ask them to snap a pic. Seems like it should be 8 bolt to me!

ksucats

Not just the bolt pattern but you also need to verify the setback for the rim. Too far back and you might rub on undercarriage; too far forward and you could put undue stress on running gear (bearings and such). Also, I don't remember directly (another question for the dealer if they even will know), are the wheels hub-centric (does the wheel center by the hub or by the lug-nuts). Big difference in wheels at times.

SNOKING

NO one has asked if this triple axle TH has the axle spacing to install 30.7" or larger tires.

Specs from a 2008 4012

Specs
Description
Length 40'10"
Width 8'5"
Height 12'9"
Interior Height 6'4"
Hitch Weight 2,989 lbs
Dry Weight 13,696 lbs
Gross Weight 18,000 lbs
Fresh Water Capacity 110 gals
Grey Water Capacity 45 gals
Black Water Capacity 45 gals
Furnace BTU 35,000
Sleeps 10
Tire Size ST225/75R15D
Slides 3

OEM tires have a diameter of 28.3" with a load rating on 2540 lbs

You might look at something like a Bridgestone Duravis R250 LT225/75R16E rated at 2680 lbs each with a 29.29" diameter. Hard to fine a better tire to put on a trailer than the R250's.

Does not look like a lot of extra distance between tires here: [/FONT][/COLOR]http://www.rzrforums...2008-5th-wheel-toy-hauler-cyclone-4012-a.html

This photo shows more spacing: https://cdn1.rvtrader.com/v1/media/5899f5920425c40cb9728971.jpg?width=1024&height=768&quality=70

I would put XPS RIB or R250 LT235/85R16E or LT245/75R16E tires on it rated at 3042 each for a total for 18,252 lbs for the 6 tires. Minus 3-4K of pin weight and there is a lot of extra capacity. Chris

Thanks for all the great info Chris. I think your pic from RV Trader may be the same one I've been referencing. I take it you've had some experience with the Bridgestone Duravis? The XPS you mentioned is a good tire too, I've always had good luck with Michelin. What do you run for tires on your Big Horn? Did it come with Load range E or heavier? I assume its a fair amount lighter though as well. Thanks again.

NO one has asked if this triple axle TH has the axle spacing to install 30.7" or larger tires.

Specs from a 2008 4012

Specs
Description
Length 40'10"
Width 8'5"
Height 12'9"
Interior Height 6'4"
Hitch Weight 2,989 lbs
Dry Weight 13,696 lbs
Gross Weight 18,000 lbs
Fresh Water Capacity 110 gals
Grey Water Capacity 45 gals
Black Water Capacity 45 gals
Furnace BTU 35,000
Sleeps 10
Tire Size ST225/75R15D
Slides 3

OEM tires have a diameter of 28.3" with a load rating on 2540 lbs

You might look at something like a Bridgestone Duravis R250 LT225/75R16E rated at 2680 lbs each with a 29.29" diameter. Hard to fine a better tire to put on a trailer than the R250's.

Does not look like a lot of extra distance between tires here:
http://www.rzrforums.net/misc-sale/146095-2008-5th-wheel-toy-hauler-cyclone-4012-a.html

This photo shows more spacing: https://cdn1.rvtrader.com/v1/media/5899f5920425c40cb9728971.jpg?width=1024&height=768&quality=70

I would put XPS RIB or R250 LT235/85R16E or LT245/75R16E tires on it rated at 3042 each for a total for 18,252 lbs for the 6 tires. Minus 3-4K of pin weight and there is a lot of extra capacity. Chris

TravelTiger

That's why you need a pic from the dealer selling the rig. Someone may have made changes already. (Upgraded axels?) who knows.

SNOKING

Thanks for all the great info Chris. I think your pic from RV Trader may be the same one I've been referencing. I take it you've had some experience with the Bridgestone Duravis? The XPS you mentioned is a good tire too, I've always had good luck with Michelin. What do you run for tires on your Big Horn? Did it come with Load range E or heavier? I assume its a fair amount lighter though as well. Thanks again.

Our SOB 2005 29 footer rode on XPS RIBs for 6.5 years and then R250's for 4.5 years based on be as good and costing less than RIBs. Our two axle 16K GVWR Righorn came OEM on Sailun S367's. Chris

Well folks I got the trailer picked up on Monday. The 07' Cyclone did in fact come with 225/75/15 tires. I spent half a day in Texas at a tire shop trying to decide what to do with the tires. The ones on it were junk and I definitely needed new ones before the 1000 mi trip home. Due to the axle spacing i simply couldn't fit a bigger tire. My understanding is a 235/80/16 is THE SMALLEST tire a person can get in a 14 ply rating. There is no 14 ply for 15" rims. Unfortunately that would leave about 1.25" between the tires on my trailer. Some may argue that it would've been fine but I just wasn't comfortable with them being that close. I badly wanted 14ply but at the end of the day had to stick with 10ply carlisle load range E. It saved me having to buy new wheels but I would have gladly done so to move up to heavier tires. Thanks for all the help!!