Toilet Replacement

TerribleTim68

Hey gang, I've got a 2008 Cyclone 4012 and I believe it has the Thetford toilet in it with the ball valve that never holds water. My question is fairly simple, is it possible to replace this toilet with a Dometic toilet? Are the bases a standard mount? Or is this more complex than a simple "remove old toilet from floor, mount new toilet" type of deal? I would assume they are like a house toilet where they all use the same mounting flange, right? 🤷‍♂️

bh3585

I replaced that POS Thetford in my Landmark with the Dometic 310 toilet. Very simple process, remove old POS and bolt down the better replacement. Took all of about 30 minutes.

Garypowell

I would suggest that when you swap out the toilet, put a shut off valve in the line. The 310 is a great toilet, but if you need to take it out for repair or full cleaning the shut off valve makes it easier.

david-steph2018

It should be a direct replacement, but double check/measure your clearance from wall to center of flange opening. But remember it is necessary to do 3 trips to the hardware store for parts when working on plumbing.

SLO

If you go with the Dometic 310 it should be the same roughin, 10”, as the Thetford. If you go with the Dometic 320, elongated toilet, it’s a 11” roughin. May not fit without some waste line moving below toilet. Measure from toilet bolts to wall. This is your roughin distance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TerribleTim68

So, just a small update on this one. I assumed it was the Thetford just based on internet images. I was wrong. And, as my luck would have it, I figured this out after ordering the Thetford ball valve seal replacement kit and tearing the top of the toilet off. Apparently my unit has a Dometic 110 in it. (guessing, but I'm pretty sure it's the 110 series) :confused:
Part of me is happy it's a Dometic, part of me is irritated that it still doesn't hold water and now it's all torn apart.

Soooo....... I did my best to clean up the existing seal, put some wax on it, because I didn't have any plumber's grease, and then put it all back together. Back to the Amazonians to see about finding the right seal replacement kit and we will revisit this later. I'm also hopeful that the cleaning of the seal will maybe hold some water now, it stinks very much bad in there. :sick:

On a good note, my toilet is out far enough from the wall that I can pull the bowl off without removing the pedestal from the floor. So i got that going for me. :rolleyes:

carl.swoyer

So, just a small update on this one. I assumed it was the Thetford just based on internet images. I was wrong. And, as my luck would have it, I figured this out after ordering the Thetford ball valve seal replacement kit and tearing the top of the toilet off. Apparently my unit has a Dometic 110 in it. (guessing, but I'm pretty sure it's the 110 series) :confused:
Part of me is happy it's a Dometic, part of me is irritated that it still doesn't hold water and now it's all torn apart.

Soooo....... I did my best to clean up the existing seal, put some wax on it, because I didn't have any plumber's grease, and then put it all back together. Back to the Amazonians to see about finding the right seal replacement kit and we will revisit this later. I'm also hopeful that the cleaning of the seal will maybe hold some water now, it stinks very much bad in there. :sick:

On a good note, my toilet is out far enough from the wall that I can pull the bowl off without removing the pedestal from the floor. So i got that going for me. :rolleyes:
Don't use household toilet cleaners in your toilet. The ball valve assembly has a Teflon coating and doesn't do well with chemicals. So I use distilled vinegar and carry a large tube of plumber lube

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

clark261

You wouldn’t want to make a mess by having water splash all over you when you are working. This is why, before doing anything, make sure that your water supply is turned off. Usually, RVs have a water pump switch nearby that you can just switch to “off.” If your RV is connected in an external water source, make sure to disconnect that as well temporarily.

Bobby A

I just stumbled upon this topic as I am considering swapping out my old trusty Sealand 210 toilet with either a 310 or 320 Dometic. My old Sealand has given me zero issue, its very easy to do seal swaps. My only reason for wanting to switch is the new 310's and 320's set up much higher.

Bobby A

If you go with the Dometic 310 it should be the same roughin, 10”, as the Thetford. If you go with the Dometic 320, elongated toilet, it’s a 11” roughin. May not fit without some waste line moving below toilet. Measure from toilet bolts to wall. This is your roughin distance.

You mention about roughin,( read post 12 for update), should a 310 have the same roughin as my Sealand? On my Sealand there is only a couple inche distance from the wall, should I measure the overall distance on a 310 ?? Thank you

SLO

You mention about roughin,( read post 12 for update), should a 310 have the same roughin as my Sealand? On my Sealand there is only a couple inche distance from the wall, should I measure the overall distance on a 310 ?? Thank you

Measure from the wall to center of toilet bolts, as in picture. This is your roughin. You can get a new toilet with your roughin distance or less but not more.

315c5378a34ee56a7f1c0183214cf3c1.jpg

Bobby A

Measure from the wall to center of toilet bolts, as in picture. This is your roughin. You can get a new toilet with your roughin distance or less but not more.

315c5378a34ee56a7f1c0183214cf3c1.jpg

a

Thank you very much for the diagram, I will measure mine tomorrow and post back. I would suspect that I can't ask someone with a 310 toilet to tell me what there roughin distance is because it looks like it all depends on how far back there wall is ??

Bobby A

Just mesured my roughin and without getting down to the 10th its about 11 3/4 inches from the bolt holding down the toilet to the wall, there is a bolt on each side of the toilet and its about the same measurements.

SLO

Just mesured my roughin and without getting down to the 10th its about 11 3/4 inches from the bolt holding down the toilet to the wall, there is a bolt on each side of the toilet and its about the same measurements.

Then you could use either the Dometic 310 or 320. They’re both the same height, 320 is elongated bowl.