Towing a Rear Kitchen or Front Living Room

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
Just curious for those of you who had a "typical" 5'er set up (LR in back, Kitchen in middle, BR in front) then changed to either a Rear Kitchen model or a Front Living Room model of similar length to what you had with the same tow vehicle -- did you notice a big difference towing? Any difference?

Interested to hear your experiences.

farside291

I towed a rear kitchen model for a couple of years and the main thing I noticed is how much stuff moved around. The back end of these longer fifth wheels tend to bounce considerably. We found that a lot of cushion was required to keep things in place. The funniest thing though was the first time we pulled it, the paper towels were all over the floor. The roll had completely unrolled itself. After that we would wet the first piece and stick it to the roll to stop it from unrolling. Another time I forgot to latch the refrigerator and all of the eggs were on the floor but the door to the fridge had closed itself. Who knows how times it opened and closed to dump a dozen eggs on the floor. Dogs ate good that day!:)

NYSUPstater

I towed a rear kitchen model for a couple of years and the main thing I noticed is how much stuff moved around. The back end of these longer fifth wheels tend to bounce considerably. We found that a lot of cushion was required to keep things in place. The funniest thing though was the first time we pulled it, the paper towels were all over the floor. The roll had completely unrolled itself. After that we would wet the first piece and stick it to the roll to stop it from unrolling. Another time I forgot to latch the refrigerator and all of the eggs were on the floor but the door to the fridge had closed itself. Who knows how times it opened and closed to dump a dozen eggs on the floor. Dogs ate good that day!:)

If the dogs ate good, then time to teach them how to use the paper towels clean up excess. As I read this tho, you could always wrap a rubber band around the roll. In regards to front or rear kitchen, I would think the front would be the same as mid for it's over the truck axles, may have air ride hitch set up. One could say tho it will pivot from side to side w/ 4way swivel head hitch VS mid won't. Rear seems to have the roughest ride overall from what I've read.