Towing with ram 3500 megacab short box drw

rhett92

Hi guys and gals. I have a road warrior 30 c ( cyclone 300 c virtually the same trailer). Just wondering if and tows with a drw megacab short box. Just wondering if anyone has clearance issues with these trailers or Any fifth wheel with the short box. Just deciding between long and short but as we are buying a dually was hoping it could be short box. Long will work but just wondering what you guys out there are using. Anyone use a srw to tow these. Trailer max is 16k which puts it close to max for a srw. Don't like being that close to max on truck. Any advice would be aprreciated. Thanks

hoefler

Personally, I wouldn't tow anything that heavy and tall with a SRW. The Crew cab long box is only 11.5" longer than the Mega short box, I like have the room to turn with out worry of crashing the trailer into the cab.

B

Boatman

We tow a Big Horn 3875FB with our 3500 megacab and have never had to use our slider hitch. This truck is a beast and will tow anything you hook to it. Clearance has never been a problem. We love both our truck and trailer. Happy camping, but go with the DRW.

Bohemian

I am getting a CC long box 4x4 DRW with 29,000 GCWR, 14,000 GVWR, 5,600 max payload, 20.300 max trailering.

Aisin transmission and 3.42 diff.

You can up the GCWR and max trailering by changing to the 3.73 or 4.10 diffs. Max payload is unchanged.

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
Your subject line says you have a DRW but your question says tow with a SRW. When I did all the math on our trailer (Landmark Ashland) and talked to other RVer towing a similar 5th wheel it always came out the same way. One Ton, DRW with brake controller. I bought a Ram 3500, 4 X 4, long bed, crew cab, 3.43 rear end with the Aisin Tranny. The Aisin gives you 850Lbs of Torque. If you are going to tow a small house (5th wheel) go big or go home. The big advantage to a DRW is safety and just feeling that the trailer and truck are stable no matter what the conditions are.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I tow a LM Grand Canyon with a long bed DRW Ram 4X2. I can't use the short bed truck because I have a large fuel tank and tool box in the bed and they wouldn't fit. I know that there is a company that will fit a long bed behind the megacab but the thing would be longer than a stretch limo.

Bohemian

I tow a LM Grand Canyon with a long bed DRW Ram 4X2. I can't use the short bed truck because I have a large fuel tank and tool box in the bed and they wouldn't fit. I know that there is a company that will fit a long bed behind the megacab but the thing would be longer than a stretch limo.

It also would not change the mount point for the 5th wheel. That just might not work at all?

1_oldgoat

.My last truck was an '07 3500 mega cab srw, new truck is a '13 3500 mega cab drw, both tow no problems, but the drw feels more stable in heavy winds, both were short beds, duh, i don't think dodge makes a mega cab long bed truck, as others have pointed out rear end ratio will change tow rating as will std or auto trans, and the new asin tranny gives a higher torque rating, i found.a.leftover 2013 and bought it for a substantial savings compared to the same.model in the 2104 and 2015 line up, not a lot of choices because it was a leftover, but very happy so far with the 2013. Excellent tow vehicle, no clearance problems anywhere, even with factory tailgate either on both trucks. 6.7 cummins, asin trans 4.10 rear end, is a beast, the 07 had tuner, intake and exhaust done so had a little more power, better mileage as well, working on that now with the 2013, installed a new cold air intake, picked up 3 mpg alone, tuner is next, chose another edge juice with cs, same as the 07 had, should pick up another 3 mpg, not sure on exhaust yet, did 5 inch dpf back before, may do the same again. Anyway you can't go wrong with either choice as both srw or drw are more than capable of towing your new fw.

rxbristol

If Dodge made that Megacab with a long bed, I would seriously consider trading my Ford for one. That is one sweet cab!!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
While I don't pull a 5th-wheel trailer, I do pull a heavy pull-behind in the Colorado Rocky Mountains and switched from a Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 SRW with the 3.73 rear end to a Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 SRW with the 4.10 rear end . . .

And all I can say is "Wow!"!

That 4.10 rear end is a trailer hauler bar none!

Don't skimp on your truck . . . get the biggest and baddest truck you can afford!

End of story . . .

Last edited:

1_oldgoat

Mega cab is nice because the rear seat backs fold down and make a huge flat area for a dog bed, or you can flip the seat bottoms up and expose more floor, with the seat backs down it makes a great costco grocery hauler as well. The main reason we went with the mega cab was extra room for our dog.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
HERE is a link to an upfitter that will convert your mega cab to a long bed. There are many others also

1_oldgoat

That is a good looking conversion and price isn't bad, less than i would have guessed. Similar to a stretch limo for overall length when completed!! Having a full length bed would be great, thanks for posting the link.

ramdually4100king

I tow a 4100 cyclone (19000lbs on scale) with a 2009 DRW mega cab. I have a slider hitch as a precaution but have never used it. I have had the trailer almost touching the cab backing in a couple times in tight spaces otherwise I don't get close.

I have towed other trailers with a crew cab SRW dodge and after towing with a dually I'll never tow with anything else again.