Towmax (Blowmax)

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I would not trust those tires further than you can throw them.

Since 2009, TowMax Trailer King tires have been bursting on a variety of RVs for no reason at all. There’s a long history of it if you dig around the forum, or even google them. Personally, we caught ours just before they self-destructed within the 1st year of ownership.

Do whatever it takes to get them off your rig, you’ll save yourself a lot of headaches.

b1d3a97b65d84c3bbb64cf282a19baee.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WBG

WBGavin
I agree completely. Towmax (Blowmax) are a disaster waiting to happen. Had two blowouts within a week doing major damage to my rig. These tires are not to be trusted on any trailer. They are simply not constructed to the specification on the tire. Goodyear G614's solved all my tire woes. Do yourself a favor and replace them as quickly as possible.

ILH

I agree completely. Towmax (Blowmax) are a disaster waiting to happen. ... Goodyear G614's solved all my tire woes. Do yourself a favor and replace them as quickly as possible.

Completely agree. I had a blowout a few years ago on the toyhauler I had (with damage). Replaced all tires immediately with G614s (even the spare). Never had a worry after that.

At the time there was a flurry of blowouts reported in this forum - and briefly thought about getting a decal printed for blowout survivors! ;)

danemayer

There's an assumption here that Trailer King and TowMax are the same. The TBC Brands website shows, among their many brands, both Trailer King and TowMax. TBC imports tires from various manufacturers and specifies use of a brand name. A tire with Trailer King on the sidewall may be made in a different factory, using different methods than a tire with TowMax on the sidewall. Or they could be the same. Without comparing DOT codes, you can't tell if the factories are different or the same. And even if the same factory, you still have no information about the tire design or how it was manufactured.

So it's hard to tell whether your Trailer King tires are ok, or garbage. But they're probably not the same as TowMax tires that had so many failures 6 or 7 years ago.

For peace of mind however, moving to a tire that has a good reputation may be worthwhile. Blowouts can be very distressing and can cause expensive damage.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
There's an assumption here that Trailer King and TowMax are the same. The TBC Brands website shows, among their many brands, both Trailer King and TowMax. TBC imports tires from various manufacturers and specifies use of a brand name. A tire with Trailer King on the sidewall may be made in a different factory, using different methods than a tire with TowMax on the sidewall. Or they could be the same. Without comparing DOT codes, you can't tell if the factories are different or the same. And even if the same factory, you still have no information about the tire design or how it was manufactured.

So it's hard to tell whether your Trailer King tires are ok, or garbage. But they're probably not the same as TowMax tires that had so many failures 6 or 7 years ago.

For peace of mind however, moving to a tire that has a good reputation may be worthwhile. Blowouts can be very distressing and can cause expensive damage.

Dan, you’re right, ours on our 2010 said “TOWMAX STR” “POWER KING”.

If the tread pattern looks like this, ditch them quick!
3342cc5c885e4591b9fe6265ef461268.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

Check out this website and the comments RV owners have sent in. The overall review at the top says they are OK, but then just about all of the comments sent in are very negative:

https://tirereviewsandmore.com/trailer-king-st-radial-reviews/ . On this website jump down to:

22 thoughts on “Trailer King ST Radial Tire Review & Rating

BTW, I recently found a deep crack in one of the sidewalls of one of my Bighorn tires. I replaced it with a Sailun from Simple Tire online, and had Discount tire locally mount it.