Towmax no More!

Westwind

Well they are gone - hopefully the Goodyear G614's will offer more security then the Towmax, I did have 6K+ on the Towmax so I guess I was one of the lucky ones, I got them off before any of them blew up. So that makes me one of the lucky ones.

dbbls59

I got rid of mine last summer. I went with Sailun 637, also G rated. I am amazed that some on this forum still promote ST tires.

pegmikef

I replaced them on my North Trail (after a blow out), but I ordered the G614s and stouter axles when I ordered by BH. I feel more comfortable with them.

nander

Texas North Chapter Leaders-retired
Where did you find G614's? I've been trying to get them for 2 months and they say they are on backorder.

Westwind

I went to a Commercial Goodyear dealer (Sullivan Tire in New England) and they are recent builds, he had 24 of them in stock at their warehouse. I replaced the spare along with the 4 on the ground, it was expensive but I had been putting the $$$ aside to cover the expense. I'm just so glad to get the Towmax off after reading all the nightmares on the forum.
We bought our Bighorn off the lot, it was more trailer ($$$) then we thought we could afford at the time, today I would probably order it and upgrade tires/axles/and get a self leveler knowing what I do now.

Last edited:

Westwind

I'm thinking that if you can match weight numbers in LT tires with the numbers on the Towmax ST's and get the LT's you will minimize the risk of blowouts as long as you watch load, speed, and tire pressure and don't hit anything with the tire during your travels. In talking to folks I feel that the scrubbing effect of tight turns into campground sites on pavement are also a problem causer.

BandK

We replaced ours after the rig sat in the lot at the repair shop for three weeks waiting on parts. They called me to pick it up and 15 min later called back and informed me that two of the tires had separated. Probably had less than 2k on the treads. Purchased Michelin LTX's. They ride better and I feel much better:)

Grey Ghost

I changed mine out also, went with Michelin M/S 2's and also put a TST 507 tire monitoring system on just for added security. I like the tires and the monitoring system, both worked great on a recent trip to California. Peace of mind is worth a lot and worth every penny! :cool:

scottyb

I'm approaching 12K on my Michellin XPS Ribs. I just returned from 500 mi r/t to west Texas, and before I left, all 6 tires were at exactly the same pressure (76 PSI @ 50 F), after sitting for a month. No air was necessary. My Towmax are happily residing on a couple 16' equipment trailers hauling concrete form lumber.

As far as scrubbing, there is always going to be more scrubbing with 3 axles than 2. You can prolong the lifetime by rotating the tires, but they are still going to wear quicker. I try not to make tight turns unless I have to, especially on pavement. I don't like the creaking sounds the trailers make while turning, anyway. I just feel more comfortable doing it with a tire that has a full steel casing and outweighs the Towmax by 50%.

Westwind

I did notice that the FW seemed to ride harder with the G614's then it did with the Towmax Tires, but hopefully they will last longer and be safer then the Towmax.