Trail Air Pin Box for 2010 3610RE

I have just purchased a 2010 3610 RE and have hauled the unit for the first time. I am hauling the traier with a 2006 F350 crewcab DRW with 6.0 Powerstroke and the trailer pulls well but seems to have a little "Push / Pull" at highway speeds. Has anyone installed a Trail Air pin box system on this unit (or similar length unit) and does it help with this tendency. I have pulled many (comparible length) gooseneck trailer with this truck without noting this issue. Not unsafe to drive but would like to improve towing characteristics and minimize abuse to coach.

jimtoo

We have had 2 3055's and a SOB before these... we have had Trailair on all and would not pull with out one.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We originally had a Trail-Air hitch on our Landmark when we purchased it. It had quite a bit of 'chucking'. We then replaced the Trail-Air hitch with a Mor-Ryde hitch and that solved the problem. Also when towing with the Trail-Air hitch be sure you have the correct amount of air in the airbag.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The Trail Air is not really designed to remove the chucking (push/pull) you are experiencing. There is a new lower jaw called the Tri Glide for the Trail Air that works very well but I don't know if it comes as an option to the Trail Air or if it can be purchased as a total package. Jim's mention of the MorRyde pin is also a very good pin. It helps very well with chucking but doesn't provide the cushion for the trailer frame that the Trail Air does. Of course that's just my opinion. I have a Trail Air with the Tri Glide and love it. Those that have the MorRyde love them as well.

Attachments

• Almost Done 2.JPG
    Almost Done 2.JPG
    300.3 KB · Views: 30

osims

bsims
You can buy the Trailair with triglideat www.tweetys.com , last time i looked they were about $1200. Our trailair came on our unit from the factory and have been very happy with it.
Bill

Drew

Hey Ray! That Glide looks like the Mor ryde with a shock. Am I seeing it correctly? Looks like it would work great.

SmokeyBare

My view of the differences between Trail-Air with Tri-Glide system and Mor-Ride Pin box system is the air suspension of Trail-Air.

Both are designed to help deal with the Chucking. But Trail-Air buffers the bounce and shock that travels through the truck as it hits rough road surfaces... and travels through the hitch and to the King Pin box. A cushion of air... dampens that shock wave and the shock absorber slows the bounce movement.

The "Glide" works much as does a Glider Rocker you might have at home or have seen in a furniture store. This movement allows the trailer to swing back and forth somewhat. The Glide along with the Air Bag and Shock... helps with the annoying chucking which is often caused by bad pavement on concrete highways.

The Glide...When it's not moving it stays in a neutral position... centered so to speak. When you move forward... such as at a traffic light, it starts to swing forward. Once the trailer is moving along it eases back to the centered position.
When you begin to stop... it moves back... and as always... will come back to the neutral location once again. It has Zerk fittings on each of the 3 swing arms so you can keep it working properly.

Mor-Ride on the other hand has more a slip back and forth motion... with rubber bumpers at the ends of both forward and backward movement as well as side to side movement. Friction between the moving parts helps prevents the jarring of the king pin and hitch as well as the sudden movement of the RV by softening the chucking.

caissiel

I tow with my F250 equiped with camper springs and swaybars. It had 2 additional leaf springs on each sides and the ride was very jerky and rough with my previous trailer. For this BC unit I first removed the upper long additional leafs and took the unit for a ride. It was very comfortable ride, but I felt it had a bit to much sway. So I removed the short additional leafs and added the long leaf again. I left Canada and been on the road since, the truck rides like a charm and no sway or jerks caused by the trailer or the road. This combination rides very well and so far It will remain this setup I am keeping. Air rides to me only adds the chance of more bounce. I like the solid springs and that is also included on the trailer. The transports have air rides on the axles with traction bars, and until I install traction bars there will not be any Air on my unit.

lwmcguir

We have air all around and not one bit of bounce at any time or on any type of roadway. Most large trucks now ride on air. Nothing wrong with leaf springs either. Matter of preference but it is very nice to level up with air. Keeps things very flexible. We can level the camper as well as needed. Really like the Fifth Airborne hitch, worth every penny.

bill40

We have the tri-glide and just finished a 3 month 9000+ mile trip and the tri-glide was great. Wtih the condition of some of the higways the trip would have been terrible without it. As said before you get both help with the chucking and help with the air bag.