Trailer brake control

rahewett

I have just noticed something that I would like some feedback on. I purchased a 2016 F250 in July. It has the built in brake control. We took a trip to Pigeon Forge in August and I set the controller on 5 thinking that should be enough. I noticed that it never really felt like the trailer brakes were doing much when stopping but the truck was stopping us fine. We just took a weekend trip a couple of weeks ago and before I pulled out of the driveway I grabbed the controller and it didn't stop me. I ran it all the way up to 10 and it finally held. Now I'm sure everyone will say adjust the trailer brakes but here is my point. On the F150 I traded in I had a Hayes Engage controller set at 5.5 and you could feel it engaging. I'm just wondering if I need to take the truck into the dealership to get it checked or adjust the trailer brakes. The trailer brakes always worked great when towing with the F150 and have maybe a total of 3000 miles on them. Any and all feedback is welcome. Thanks.

rahewett

That is something I will look at but I don't think that is what is going on. If i do find that you will surely get a thumbs up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SLO

My ram has an adjustment in the setup screen for heavy or light trailer braking. Not sure if Ford does that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rahewett

This truck is an XL model and I don't have much in the info screen.

WBG

WBGavin
On my 2010 F350, pulling a 15,500 38' 5er I had the controller set at 10 and stopped OK. Just added disk brakes and now the control is set to 6 and I stop twice as fast.

rahewett

Haven't tried the break away switch. I do remember towing with our Tahoe and it stopped just fine, just like the F150. I just feel like it has something to do with the truck and not the trailer. Just wondering if anyone else had an issue like this. The Wilderness only weighs 7000lbs.

rhodies1

I do believe this is a trait with the older Ford Super Duties,I have a 12 model and need it set in 10 to get any braking on my Bighorn . My brakes and bearings are done yearly and adjusted.This system does not work as well as the aftermarket controllers.Cannot speak to the newer Ford models ......

marknewbill

Old thread, but may be relevant.
I have a 2019 f150, but I installed the "2015 brake controller" which I heard a rumor there were some issues with, and mine was one of them. it did just as pointed out, needing to be 8.5 or even a 9 to really stop. Finally it gave up on me the other day with almost fiery results- smoke anyway, and I bought the latest model for the same truck (new version) and i grabbed that brake button and almost pulled the trailer in half. haven't drove it yet, but the in the yard test tells me the old version was not as good as the new, perhaps related to the underlying defect that caused the smoke in the cab coming out of the controller.