Trailer for Golf Cart

ergray3

I've seen several trailers with 2 swivel wheels hooked to 5th Wheel Campers. It appears that the trailer is hitched to the frame and is an extension of the camper. Many time the trailer is hauling a golf cart. If anyone has any knowledge on this, please respond. Not sure if it is safe? Will it harm the frame/camper?

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Yes - we had our dealer install a commercial hitch onto our Big Country so we could pull a little trailer with a golf cart on it. We did that for about 4 years but started finding that more and more campgrounds didn't want ya to bring your own golf cart so we sold it.

I see that you are in TN. We would love to invite ya'll to the TN Rally in October 16-18 at the Nashville KOA if your schedule allows it. It's alot of fun and a great way to meet other Heartland Owners. We would love to meet ya and your Landmark.
2008 Big Country.jpg

Miltp920

google idaho tote

I've seen several trailers with 2 swivel wheels hooked to 5th Wheel Campers. It appears that the trailer is hitched to the frame and is an extension of the camper. Many time the trailer is hauling a golf cart. If anyone has any knowledge on this, please respond. Not sure if it is safe? Will it harm the frame/camper?

macjj

I looked into the same thing myself. I have another issue, California. California DMV rules will Not allow a "Passenger vehicle" to tow more than one trailer. The "hinged" configuration is defiantly out. Outside of CA, you are probably OK. I looked int the "caster" models, one caster was a no brainier, too unpredictable. The two caster option was better, but small tires have a recommended speed limit, which I did not feel comfortable in sustaining. I went for the Idaho Tote, although more expensive, the engineering was superior. I want to the CA DMV and CHP before moving ahead and was told it would be OK if under 65ft. However CA rules changed again in 2015.

I just finished a 13k trip across 13 states with a cart on the back. Only one park said NO - unless I had a "registered" vehicle. It was a North Dakota State Park.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lou_and_Bette

I installed the Swivel Wheel trailer with 2 wheels to haul my bike. I am very happy with it. I did find some "D" rated tires at eTrailer.com and replaced the "C" rated tires that came with the trailer. I usually run 60-65 MPH when towing and feel comfortable doing so. There are a lot of smaller trailers, boat trailers, and smaller campers running with the same type tires. I do have the TST TPMS on all my wheels and planning to install a camera to watch my bike as we go down the road. No trouble from LEO's yet.

Nabo

Robbie - since you are TN, check with RVs For Less (Knoxville, TN) about a double point hitch. They were thinking about becoming a dealer for Idaho Tote but since we don't drag a cart with us anymore, I'm not sure if they decided too or not.

ergray3

Nathan,
Going to have both knees replaced, will be out of commission then. Maybe next year.
Thanks, Robbie

Nabo

Oh wow Robbie- a double replacement. Best of luck, follow the doctors orders and we will have ya in our thoughts and Prayers.

farside291

Check the maximum weight rating for the swivel wheel trailers. You may find that they won't haul an electric golf cart. Electric carts are very heavy, much more that a gas powered one. I thought about the same thing until I found out the weight rating on those trailers. Thought about a tag trailer, then thought about how long I would be. Think I am going to get a couple of small electric scooters.

Lou_and_Bette

My dual wheel swivel trailer deck is rated for 1200 pounds. The new D rated tires are rated for 1080 pounds and when I had all wheels weighed at Goshen, the trailer wheels had 450 pounds each with the Ultra on it.