Trailer Hitch

dcwettstein

Has anyone used a hitch like this on their Big Horn? [h=1]Curt Manufacturing 13703 Class III Receiver Hitch
31az4ccKEUL.jpg

[/h]

My rig has 2 brackets that are welded to the frame. 102_0294.jpg
Are these brackets for mounting a hitch?

Attachments

• 102_0296 (1).jpg
    102_0296 (1).jpg
    722.1 KB · Views: 94

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I haven't used a hitch like that but the answer to your 2nd question, yes, those brackets are for mounting a hitch. If the dimentions are right, that hitch should work very well. That hitch might be designed to fit the inside of the I-Beam frame rails so make sure you measure that as well.

sengli

We have the factory installed hitch on ours. We tried to use it for bikes only. First off the length of the span between the frame rails, is so large the factory hitch flexes like a rubber band, and is not safe to use. Class three? Wow those plates on the frame arent very thick and I wouldnt trust that to take much of a load, even if your hitch is rated for that much.

danemayer

The plates atttached to the frame are part of a Lippert receiver hitch kit that's for a 1-1/4" receiver and about 150 lb max load.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
For me, I would want to know what you intend to use the hitch for.
Like Dan said it is intended for a small capacity load.
Personally I would grind off the brackets and have someone weld a hitch to the frame.

Peace
Dave

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
All I would put on the hitch is a bike rack and 2 bikes.
The hitch in your first post is a heavier hitch than provided by Lippert. Lipperts is 1-1/4" receiver. I'm confident it would not flex near as much as the factory supplied hitch. That said, welding it directly to the frame would be the best choice. Again, this would all depend on the dimensions matching up.

mobilcastle

I believe my hitch is 2"-I will check and re-post if different. I have a Swagman bike rack I use and two bikes. It works well. My hitch looks similar to the one you posted.

dave10a

You would be better off going to a welder and have them build a hitch onto your trailer. The one you have shown and the one Heartland supplies are too flimsy and could cause a serious problem while traveling. I am very surprised there has not been a recall on those factory supplied hitches for safety reasons-- or maybe there have been and are being ignored ;-)