Trailer or Swivel Wheel Extension for taking Trike or golf cart with us.

Dannyboy74

Hello,
AS we move into camping season, I'm really excited to actually get to use my new to me 2017 Big Country 3965DSS purchased in January. As I have been "patiently" waiting for this, my mind has moved to how or if I will be able to take my Goldwing Trike or my golf cart with us on certain trips. this was the only aspect of trading my small toy hauler for this beautiful camper.

After exhaustive research I have found a couple of options. The DW58 swivel wheel trailer from CruiserLift, the Freedom Hauler or just a simple Kendon Trike trailer.

The Freedom hauler is nice, but ridiculously expensive and I cannot justify the expense, plus i have seen few on the used market and they are still expensive. The DW58 is a my first choice, but again, they are expensive, I have seen a few on the used market and they are within an acceptable range for us. My second choice would be the Kendon Trike Trailer, but my concern is that it is a regular trailer not like the other two that hitch by 2 contact points on the camper.

With any of the choices I realize that I would have to have a welder attach a class 2 hitch to the frame of the camper and most likely add cross bracing as well.

What I'm looking for is advice on this. Has anyone done this with their Big Country, besides not being able to back up, are there any drawbacks to the Kendon Trailer?

I'm aware of the state reg's and the frame warranty voiding, which mine is out of warranty anyway, just looking for experiences, advice and well , if anyone has other options not already mentioned besides going back to a toy hauler...lol.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom and advice.

david-steph2018

If you use the model with the 2-point attach points, I don't see why you could not back up.

I have seen some out on the road, and people like the trailers. One issue is needing a place to park the extra trailer when you get to the campground.

Dannyboy74

If you use the model with the 2-point attach points, I don't see why you could not back up.

I have seen some out on the road, and people like the trailers. One issue is needing a place to park the extra trailer when you get to the campground.
I agree, that's another reason I was thinking of the kendon,because it folds and stands upright.

hoefler

I had a swivel wheel behind our Landmark for one trip. Worked very well to say the least, the tail swing was the issue I had with ours. It would go into the other lane when turning in traffic, especially with narrow lanes. Backed up fine, trailed down the road perfectly, thought I had the cat by the tail. When we went through small towns that required making turns on 2 lane roads, it was an issue. Adding 8' to the back of a 40' trailer didn't seem like much, but it is all behind the axles, which is huge.

Just my 2 cents worth.

centerline

depending on how much time and money one has, there is an option...
I added a subframe under the trailer and installed a hitch tube, at the rear on each side, to accept 2" steel bars.... and built a platform. I haul both of my polaris sportsman atv on it, and at the same time, I added an axle to help with the extra weight added... I built the platform as a single piece, but for those who dont have lifting equipment, the platform could be made to disassemble for ease of installation and removal. I was going to build it as a fold up deck, but my wife vetoed anything that may block the view out the window...

just adding hitch tubes to the existing frame would NEVER be strong enough to safely haul this much weight without ripping the rear of the frame loose from the trailer body, as the terrible road conditions are already trying to do as much damage as it can to our vehicles...

a sub frame that can handle the weight on its own is the only way to do it, then set the trailer down on it and attach together securely...

Attachments

• 20210615_153610.jpg
    20210615_153610.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
  • 20210519_120135.jpg
    20210519_120135.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
  • 20210519_120153.jpg
    20210519_120153.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
  • 20210519_163313.jpg
    20210519_163313.jpg
    926.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210603_110913.jpg
    20210603_110913.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
  • 20210615_144718.jpg
    20210615_144718.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23

Dannyboy74

depending on how much time and money one has, there is an option...
I added a subframe under the trailer and installed a hitch tube, at the rear on each side, to accept 2" steel bars.... and built a platform. I haul both of my polaris sportsman atv on it, and at the same time, I added an axle to help with the extra weight added... I built the platform as a single piece, but for those who dont have lifting equipment, the platform could be made to disassemble for ease of installation and removal. I was going to build it as a fold up deck, but my wife vetoed anything that may block the view out the window...

just adding hitch tubes to the existing frame would NEVER be strong enough to safely haul this much weight without ripping the rear of the frame loose from the trailer body, as the terrible road conditions are already trying to do as much damage as it can to our vehicles...

a sub frame that can handle the weight on its own is the only way to do it, then set the trailer down on it and attach together securely...
That looks awesome, but is well beyond my abilities and funds to do.

Dannyboy74

I had a swivel wheel behind our Landmark for one trip. Worked very well to say the least, the tail swing was the issue I had with ours. It would go into the other lane when turning in traffic, especially with narrow lanes. Backed up fine, trailed down the road perfectly, thought I had the cat by the tail. When we went through small towns that required making turns on 2 lane roads, it was an issue. Adding 8' to the back of a 40' trailer didn't seem like much, but it is all behind the axles, which is huge.

Just my 2 cents worth.
I am still struggling with whether or not do move forward or just live without. I love this camper and would only need the toys once or twice a year, so I may just look for another way to get them to me to the destination. I came close to buying this swivel wheel last week, but something just keeps me from pulling the trigger. I guess I will wait and see.

centerline

I am still struggling with whether or not do move forward or just live without. I love this camper and would only need the toys once or twice a year, so I may just look for another way to get them to me to the destination. I came close to buying this swivel wheel last week, but something just keeps me from pulling the trigger. I guess I will wait and see.
swivel wheel decks are legally considered "trailers"... so if you cant do double towing in your state, it may not be an option for you...