Travel in Northern Washington State - I-5 bridge collapsed, check for alternate routes

ParkIt

Last night a major section of a bridge collapsed that connects South from the Canadian border to Seattle area and North to numerous campground in the Anacortes area. The "detour" route will be very congested (as in stop, creep and wait) most likely until next year especially for heavier loads. This is a section between Mount Vernon and Burlington Washington over the Skagit River.

If you had plans to go up through Canada and drop down, know that you will be stuck in stop n' go traffic routing down on I-5 though you can take the more narrow and scenic routes along the coast, heading north there isn't much except having to go quite a way out east then back to I-5.
Google maps is already showing that part of the freeway isn't there so if you are looking, its not a glitch so plan accordingly. Edit: the snapshot is too small to see, you can use google maps "I-5 Mount Vernon Washington" and it shows a blank section where the bridge was.
google maps I 5 missing section.jpg

Manzan

I have driven both of the detour routes and the South bound road is a bit easier. Two and four lane roads and level. The North bound highway, Hwy 9 is two and four lane depending on where you are and a lot of stop lights/signs and reasonably level. I will take some patience taking either. Try to avoid weekends and US or Canadian holidays. Lots of Canadians come down on holidays and lots of us go up there. Truckers will be the main problem during the week just from shear numbers. Temporary fix in weeks but permanent--who knows? Because of topography, not much else available for roads except for some really back roads not very friendly to 5rs.

ILH

Fom the pictures on the news, its a wonder they can't just bring in the corps of engineers and build something over the small span. But I suppose the remainder of the bridge is now in question.

ParkIt

It takes awhile to assess the entire bridge and even longer to build a structure since it won't meet code when the bridge was built in 1955.
Anything temporary will most likely have a weight limit which will probably exclude anything over 10,000 lbs.

Manzan, yep, heading south is much easier but both directions with summer coming on is still going to be stop n' go.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Thanks for the information... I just saw the news on TV about the bridge. We are planning to go to Canada and come down south from Vancouver CAN.

I was wondering if it would be an advantage to get off I-5 at 20 and turn south on 536, or would it be best to just stay on I-5 and grin and bare it.

I am suprised that this is the only bridge crossing the river.

Thanks again for the info..

BC

Manzan

Bob, you don't have any choice. That is the official detour around the bridge South bound. Depending on when you are heading South, there maybe a temporary fix in. They are hoping to have it done mid June. There maybe weight limits but in this state are usually stated as maximum weight per axle but could be total weight. With all the big semis using I-5, I doubt you would even come close. Stay tuned, they keep changing everything.