Traveling with your pets forum

Birchwood

Re: Hey - a new forum to discuss traveling with your pets

It's not fun for me. Before we had our fiver, we went on vacation and left them at home. I always felt bad leaving them because I knew they missed us. By the second or third day, I would be wondering how they were doing. By the end of vacation, I couldn't wait to get home and see them, and make sure they were ok. Being able to bring them with us was the number one thing that I loved about having our rig. :) And now that we are fulltimers, it's a moot point anyway.

I guess the thoughts of an animal free used RV is about 75% or less.

olcoon

Re: Hey - a new forum to discuss traveling with your pets

Until we got the 5er, Sally's cat could only relate getting into the pet carrier & going to the vet, which she didn't like. The vet even has a notation in her file to be careful! When we travel she's always in the pet carrier, and at first let us know she didn't like it usually almost the whole trip, no matter how long it was. The last time Sally took her to the vet, just before leaving the vet used a "wet one" type wipe, & wiped the inside of the carrier. The cat was pretty calm the whole trip home. When they got home, Sally opened the pet carrier to let her out, and just left it on the floor & sometime later I saw the cat sniffing around the carrier & she even went inside it. She'd never done this before & it was a real battle to get her in it. Sally found the stuff at Petco, but could only find it in a spray. It's called Sentry Calming Spray. Used it on the way to TX this year & it seemed to work pretty good. One day we didn't hear a peep out of her.

jjriker

I guess the thoughts of an animal free used RV is about 75% or less.

Ok. And our cats are part of our family. We don't make decisions about them traveling with us based on what our trade in value might be however many years down the road that might take place.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Birchwood

Ok. And our cats are part of our family. We don't make decisions about them traveling with us based on what our trade in value might be however many years down the road that might take place.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Our neighbours have a $350,000 motorhome.They eat most meals out because they don't
want to scratch their cupboards with groceries.Now thats living????

Last edited:

back2nature

oh thank you for sharing "back2nature"

i just adore the photo of your 2 kitties looking out the window - they are very lucky to have found/chosen you(s)!

Thanks. Sometimes they're a pain in the butt, but we love them.

Sent from my cell using Tapatalk2

back2nature

The last time Sally took her to the vet, just before leaving the vet used a "wet one" type wipe, & wiped the inside of the carrier. The cat was pretty calm the whole trip home.

That's really interesting. One of our cats, that normally loves staying in the crate in the back seat, decided he doesn't like it anymore and wants to lay on the rear floor. I prefer him in the crate while traveling because he doesn't like being handled at all. Ever! So maybe the wet ones has a calming effect? I had tried that calming spray before and it didn't do anything.

Sent from my cell using Tapatalk2

RanCarr

That's really interesting. One of our cats, that normally loves staying in the crate in the back seat, decided he doesn't like it anymore and wants to lay on the rear floor. I prefer him in the crate while traveling because he doesn't like being handled at all. Ever! So maybe the wet ones has a calming effect? I had tried that calming spray before and it didn't do anything.

That spray didn't work on our cats either. :( But we do have a large Midwest Cat Playpen cage they travel in. It has three shelves and a litterpan on the bottom. The boy cat has a roomy cage with a small litterpan. I don't give them water until we get where we're going since the wont drink when in the cages.

ParkIt

We are going to have to pick up a Midwest Cat Playpen, there is room for it in the cab (bought it with no back seat). Gabby only starts howling if Frass does and bits of fresh turkey keeps Frass quiet, ShuShu hates traveling PERIOD. She stressed out once so much that we had to take her to the ER vet for IV hydration...since she is a "hider" we may let her find a place in the cab because I know she won't move even if you open the door. She's fine when everything stops moving, we'll see how it goes with her.

Since our eldest half Lab half collie mix is now 15 and slowing down quite a bit, DH is staying on and off at a friends house that the dogs know and they have full run of the house and fenced yard. We don't like the thought but we know he won't be with us when DH is done with school so that will leave us with a full blooded Lab (10 years old) and Chihuahua/Rat Terrier mix (2 yrs old). All the dogs are used to long and short drives so no worries there, Labs tend to look forward to travel which keeps the little one calmed as well.

It's nice to have a truck where there is no back seat and the cab was extended and has a higher roof, you can do that when you convert an ambulance to a tow vehicle so there is plenty of room for kennels for all of them. The funny thought is if we decide to tow the small Jeep on the back of the trailer - the dogs like riding in that much better than anywhere else ;)dogs playin august 2012 (10).jpg

Ks.Kev

Well, we picked up our new little traveling buddy.....
attachment.php

His name is Jake, and loves to travel!
Going out for a week here shortly and see how he likes RVing!

Attachments

• 0707151949.jpg
    0707151949.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 0707151949.jpg.html
    145.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 0707151949.jpg
    0707151949.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 257

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
How cute but I think that little traveling buddy is going to grow up to be a big traveling buddy. Enjoy

dbbls59

Our small dog, Miss Daisy, loves to travel. She loves to look at animals along the road,whether they are cows, horses, goats or wildlife. She may be asleep in the back seat but when we say "see ", she is up looking out the window. She will watch for as long as she can see them.

Mrsfish

Thought I'd post a picture of our last trip. Seems the shephard - who is new to traveling- is fitting right in!!

Attachments

• IMG_0031.jpg
    IMG_0031.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 61

Mrsfish

Nice threesome there.

We probably have 1000's of pics of our sleeping beauties.

I love traveling with our dogs. Normally it's just the 2 labs and they sleep with their noses In the ac vents- lol! But my son's shephard needed to go with us this trip. Took her a couple of hours to get the routine down, but it looks like she figured it out just fine.

Daley07

Love this Nova Microdermabrasion RV Kennel fence! This product is working perfectly for keeping my new little pup inside the yard, especially with it getting cold outside. It’s made from sturdy metal and contains a coated black vein finish for rust-resistance. Its design features rounded edges or rubber feet to make sure any sharp edges don’t poke my dog. With versatile 16-panel design, I was also thrilled to see this model was capable of being folded for easy transport and storage.

Last edited: