Traveling

Piperflyer

We are new to full time rving and are planning to leave FL in May and travel out to the western states. We will be on a 6 month time schedule, but don't need to be in any one place at a certain time. My concern is that we will be trying to pack into to much site seeing and trying to cover to many states in 6 months. We plan on returning to FL after 6 months. Can any full timers give me points from your experiance on how to go about planning a trip like this. How long do you stay in scenic area's, how many states would you plan to visit, how many miles do you usually cover in a day, and any other information would be helpful. Thank You......

MTPockets

Well, there is soooo much to see. Our method may be different or the same as others, but we've been full time now four years. We spend our stationary winter months deciding where we want to go from around April 1 through October. I map a route connecting various sites and after many hours of looking at maps, Internet sites, we end up with a plan and a route, then pretty much stick to it. Our general rule is to stay under 200 miles on a travel day, and always stay a minimum of two nights. Many times three or six or various lengths depending on the plan. We generally prefer State and National Parks, but that's not always possible and we stay in private campgrounds. During the planning stage, it will change a number of times until we're satisfied. We also make reservations well in advance so by the time we leave, 90% of our nights are reserved and we don't ever have to think about where to stay or if we can get a site... This is our way and we love it.. Never in a hurry and love every minute...

Bobby A

Well, take your time and smell the roses, do what you want when you wanna do it. That's the beauty of full timing, you can stay or leave anytime you want to, don't cut yourself short, if your in a hurry there maybe something you wanna see but your in such as hurry to get on the road you miss what you wanna see and it will haunt you later. Most of us full timers are comfortable with around 300 miles a day, and I tell new RVers to not drive while your hungry, angry or tired. Enjoy your new life style, stay safe and have fun and take plenty of pictures.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
We're not full timers but are retired anytimers that hit the road each year for our extended trip. We pick a final destination, a route, things to see along that route, and when we want to be back. But unlike MTPockets, we seldom make reservations (doesn't mean we don't call ahead from time to time) unless it's a holiday weekend. We prefer the flexibility of staying or leaving at our leisure. We've driven as few as 50 miles or long 10 hour days to the next stop. Whatever the day dictated.
You'll never see it all so don't be in a hurry. There is a big difference traveling now that we're retired vs when we took a vacation from work!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garypowell

We are planning an extended north and west trip this summer to UT and then back through CO. I planned the route and called them stop 1....2...3, etc.

i turned this this over to Linda who will then do the preliminary work of how much time at each stop.

This way each of us has independent input. Once the basics are set we can negotiate for what differences there might be. I might not want to stay as long as she or she might want to deviate the path a little.

kowAlski631

We're retired any timers also. We sketch out what we want to see and divide the trip into segments. We take our time and try to stick to the rule of twos - 2 days minimum at a place, 200 miles maximum traveling, and stopping by 2 pm. Is that a hard and fast rule? Nope, but we use it as a guideline.

macjj

We are also "any timers", like to return home after a few months on the road. We usually plan in advance, starting with a destination and a time frame. Working back with a target travel range of 300 miles, we pick the sites along the way. As it has been said there is a lot to see, so we seldom stay at the same place twice. I like to research and reserve ahead, after a long day, I don't like surprises with a rig this size. Bumper to bumper aim 60ft so I look to google earth for navigational hints. Thus far no issues, just have to be aware of the tail swing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk