Tri-Pod under pin (yes / no)

Boozecamp

I don't have 6pt. leveling system. We get too much lateral movement in rear when people walk around. Should I spend the money for the Tru-Pod? Will that reduce some of the sway? It's really annoying.

Pizzaguy

Don't waste your money on a kingpin tripod. First get youself a good set of wheel chocks like the BAL X- chock or Rotochocks if you don't already use them. Then the next thing to add would be a set of JT's Stabilizers ( or Ultrafab Eliminators are the same thing). The combination of these will take alot of the movement out.Good Luck!

Boozecamp

Don't waste your money on a kingpin tripod. First get youself a good set of wheel chocks like the BAL X- chock or Rotochocks if you don't already use them. Then the next thing to add would be a set of JT's Stabilizers ( or Ultrafab Eliminators are the same thing). The combination of these will take alot of the movement out.Good Luck!
I have the BAL-X chocks for each side. I use them. I have a set of the JT Stabilizers but I can't find a place to mount them on the rear stabilizers. Any thoughts? pictures? The dumb 90deg bracket on the end connecting to the foot pad is at a real funky alignment when I try to mount the other end to a firm beam. Ugh!!!

Garypowell

We just left on a two month trip. I recently purchased 4 scissor jacks and already had a pin stabilizer from my last unit, and the X chocks. I have never liked the rocking and rolling and figured if I could just take the weight off of the springs things would settle down.

3 nights out and very pleased with the arrangement. Especially when doing laundry (unit up front in our rig). You can still feel it a little when spinning but the dishes no longer rattle....nor our teeth!

One nice bonus is that the ratchet wrench for the X-chocks also fits the scissor jacks. Once the drill has moved the scissors to the frame it grinds to a halt. Then I use the ratchet wrench to tighten it more.

brianharrison

I have not had success with the BAL X chocks with swaying - what I define as side to side movement. The BAL X-chocks will help stop forward/back wheel movement, but that can also be done with solid wheel chocks - I currently use 4 aluminum wheel chocks.

Anything that attaches to frame and then back to landing legs or rear stabilizers will help with sway (side to side).

I did find the king pin stabilizer helped a BIT with sway as it would load up the frame with a different load point - certainly not as good as JT stabilizers but I had the king pin stabilizer from a different life. I sold it when I got the trail air (air bag) pin box. Does not work at all with the air bag pin box.

Simple bottle jacks under the frame mid-ship (I have seen them behind or just in from of wheels) on each side of trailer works well too.

Brian

Eddhuy

Steadyfast stabilizer is another option. Only uses 3 arms, they are longer and you tighten them at the top outside of the triangle. I have purchased them but not had a chance to install them but will before Temecula HRR on Oct. 12. Steadyfast claims it eliminates the need for x-chocks and the king pin stabilizer.

http://www.steadyfast.com/

Hi boozecamp I just installed the steadyfast today and I cannot believe the difference it made in our rig I have the tires chocked just so it don't roll but there is no shaking anymore the tri-pod is half the cost so my advice is add a little more and invest in the steadyfast.I believe you will be impressed I was when I got the job done.It took me about three hours to install and it was worth it good luck with your choice. Joel

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We used to us a bi-pod under the kingpin but found it did little good, and was just extra weight to carry around. You are better off with the leg stabilizers such as steadifast.

TXTiger

Steadyfast stabilizer is another option. Only uses 3 arms, they are longer and you tighten them at the top outside of the triangle. I have purchased them but not had a chance to install them but will before Temecula HRR on Oct. 12. Steadyfast claims it eliminates the need for x-chocks and the king pin stabilizer.

http://www.steadyfast.com/

I am attending the rally at Temecula. Would love to see your Steadyfast set up. Do you know what space you will be in?

Eddhuy

Not yet but we have a Gateway and the stabilizer bars will be on the front landing jacks, should be easy to spot. We'll be there on Thursday the 10th. If you see us, just knock, be happy to let you check out how effective they are.

Birchwood

I think the tripods may work on light fifth wheels but with large coaches like the Big Horn they seem to do very little.We still use ours on the Landmark but mainly for a bike rack.

MTPockets

We set up for more Than a week I usually use the tripod. We arrived at campground Thursday and did not use tripod, but after three days noticing some shake, I got out the tripod. I've found you must be certain a lot of pressure must be applied, in other words get the screw real tight. There is a noticeable improvement with the tripod. Also, make sure the real jacks are good and tight too.

Boozecamp

Hi boozecamp I just installed the steadyfast today and I cannot believe the difference it made in our rig I have the tires chocked just so it don't roll but there is no shaking anymore the tri-pod is half the cost so my advice is add a little more and invest in the steadyfast.I believe you will be impressed I was when I got the job done.It took me about three hours to install and it was worth it good luck with your choice. Joel
Any chance you could post a picture or two on the install, or explain where you're connection points are? Thanks for the advice.

boozecamp I put mine as close to the jack as possible and the I measured the distance from the bracket to the opposite jack and the is the distance I used for the one on the opposite side it will run strait down the frame the rear I did the same way I mounted it as close the jack as I could.they give you a distance of no less than 58 inches and no more than 72 inches mine came out at 68.5 so it all comes out really good if I get a chance I will take some pics for you it is a really good investment I think I just could not believe how much tighter the rig feels. I even have my tripod up for sale. Joel

Grey Ghost

:cool:I found the tri-pod to be of little assistance. I sold mine and I'm looking at the Steadyfast stabilizer system. They say it is the cats meow,we will see.

Eddhuy

I am attending the rally at Temecula. Would love to see your Steadyfast set up. Do you know what space you will be in?

I have a tripod stabilizer for the king pin, does not do much for the Gateway but helped the Prowler a lot. I will bring it with me and let you try it if you want to see what it does but I think the Steadyfast is going to be very nice, can't wait to try it.

Dutch & Di

Put us in the no tripod group. We tried that for years but never did work for us. Once we installed aftermarket permanently mounted stabilizers we were happy as clams. That's what works for us. Hugs, Di

Mizmary

FYI we didn't bring the kingpin stabilizer or the slide jacks up with us. Big mistake. They do WAY more than we thought. I'm getting seasick as people walk through!!

alex00

I have the BAL-X chocks for each side. I use them. I have a set of the JT Stabilizers but I can't find a place to mount them on the rear stabilizers. Any thoughts? pictures? The dumb 90deg bracket on the end connecting to the foot pad is at a real funky alignment when I try to mount the other end to a firm beam. Ugh!!!

I ran a piece of 1/4" 2x2 angle iron between the frame rails. That allowed the rear JT arms to run straight off the bracket and meet in the middle of the trailer. If you call JT they can give you the exact measurements and placement of the angle iron. The angle iron is bolted to the bottom of my frame rails, and is about 4-5" forward of the stabilizers. The angle iron runs parallel to the rear bumper. The JT brackets mount about 2" apart centered on the angle iron.