Triangles and vest

NYSUPstater

Just thought I'd toss this out there for others. May not be a bad idea to buy a triangle kit ( 3 triangles) to carry w/ you in case you break down. The kind you see when semi's break down. As for vests to put on if you are outside your vehicle during a breakdown, there are 2 kinds, Orange and Neon Yellow. Both have reflective stripping, BUT IMO the orange ones look more like walking traffic cones & studies have been done that the human eye is red blind at certain parts of the day. NOT that the orange one is red, but could be mistaken. The Hi-Vis yellow again, IMO, is far better to have.

'Lil Guy'

I carry the triangles and flaares in my truck for just such a purpose. Don't really want the vest. If I'm broken down, maybe some one will put me out of my misery.lol What we need is an electronic device to interrupt the other drivers's cell phone and warn them to look up due to trouble up ahead.

Dmetcalf

Just thought I'd toss this out there for others. May not be a bad idea to buy a triangle kit ( 3 triangles) to carry w/ you in case you break down. The kind you see when semi's break down. As for vests to put on if you are outside your vehicle during a breakdown, there are 2 kinds, Orange and Neon Yellow. Both have reflective stripping, BUT IMO the orange ones look more like walking traffic cones & studies have been done that the human eye is red blind at certain parts of the day. NOT that the orange one is red, but could be mistaken. The Hi-Vis yellow again, IMO, is far better to have.

I definately agree with that as well ..! Better to enhance your situation with others that are passing by ..!

GregP

I agree with the triangles as well as the high-viz vest. I have always carried the triangles in the truck in the event of a roadside breakdown, and as yet, haven't needed them. I don't have a vest (yet) but it would be a good idea in any vehicle, whether you are towing or not. Both items are compact and easily stored. I think the triangles/flares are required in some jurisdictions for towing.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
From my experience working accidents on the freeway, even with cones, triangles and vests, NEVER turn your back to oncoming traffic. If you want to be an angel, you might get your first flying lesson.

pegmikef

I agree on triangles and a vest (or some just wear a "loud", brightly colored shirt when they are towing on the highway). In Texas it is technically a requirement for Class A driver's license holders when they are towing to have the triangles or flares. The placement of the triangles may be on the Class A written test and may have to be presented when taking the Class A drivers' test. By law, Texas drivers must have a Class A License when the combined rated weight of the tow vehicle and trailer is equal to or exceeds 26,000 pounds as stated on the vehicle and trailer registrations. A lot of drivers ignore or are unaware of this requirement, but if they are involved in an accident (regardless of fault), they are considered to be driving illegally and insurance companies may use this as a reason not to pay for any damages and they may be subject to a fine.

david-steph2018

I carry a 6 pack of the flashing red lights along with flares. The lights are nice and can be seen a good distance. They can also be stuck on the side of a vehicle with the magnet.
I bought mine at Lowes and Menards if I remember I gave around $75.00 for all 6 along with a carry bag

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I have a set of triangles from back in the day when I delivered RV's for a short time. As Mike said above, the triangles are a requirement. I went to Wal Mart and bought a pair of dayglow yellow tee shirts that I wear on travel days for visibility when I have to get out.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
In 12 years of working in EMS, ambulance/fire, I was hit 4 times and close calls to many to count. If that can happen surrounded by bright red trucks, ambulance, cop cars with all those pretty flashing lights, triangles and a bright vest wont help anyone. People just do not pay attention or get mesmerized by what they see. You are a target. Look into the latest national stats for highway patrol officers getting hit on our nations highways. It is astounding.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
In 12 years of working in EMS, ambulance/fire, I was hit 4 times and close calls to many to count. If that can happen surrounded by bright red trucks, ambulance, cop cars with all those pretty flashing lights, triangles and a bright vest wont help anyone. People just do not pay attention or get mesmerized by what they see. You are a target. Look into the latest national stats for highway patrol officers getting hit on our nations highways. It is astounding.

We were always #1 to the folks that had to wait or slow down near an accident or fire. At least that’s the sign they flashed for us delaying them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

NYSUPstater

ShortStraw,

I whole heartily agree with you as folks seem to want to drive towards flashing lights. Cannot explain why. I even say the same thing when on a on-ramp w/ my left turn signals on. At least 10 lights per side and yet, ding-bats still cannot seem to see them. The point I was trying to make tho (besides having taken steps to be more visible to others) is that a Hi-Vis neon yellow vest w/ reflective material is better than orange w/ reflective material. IMO, the orange looks more like traffic cones on 2 feet.

Now to contradict myself here, for snowmobiling, neon green/yellow or bright orange all stick out like sore thumbs. Personally, I love it for this application.