Trim under bedroom shrunk

fastcarsspeed

So how do I fix this? I feel like I should just maybe heat it up and get it to stretch and go back in but feel like it will just do the same thing again.

Attachments

• IMG_20170527_085120.jpg
    IMG_20170527_085120.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 86

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Mine has been doing the same thing, then on our last trip we were traveling in 100° weather and it came all the way out. So I pulled over and put it back in, hit the road and it came out again, I pulled over and this time I put one of the screws through it in the bend there. Well that was a bad idea because now it blew out and pulled the screw out with it and was slapping that screw on the side of my full body paint job. NOT GOOD !!!!

I believe it is from the heat coming out of the exhaust of the new DEF trucks. It's super hot and it's only happening on the right side behind the exhaust pipe.
Not really much you can do to change that.

Jerrod

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

SLO

Mine has been doing the same thing, then on our last trip we were traveling in 100° weather and it came all the way out. So I pulled over and put it back in, hit the road and it came out again, I pulled over and this time I put one of the screws through it in the bend there. Well that was a bad idea because now it blew out and pulled the screw out with it and was slapping that screw on the side of my full body paint job. NOT GOOD !!!!

I believe it is from the heat coming out of the exhaust of the new DEF trucks. It's super hot and it's only happening on the right side behind the exhaust pipe.
Not really much you can do to change that.

Jerrod

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

That's not a good thought. Do you think your new truck is considerably hotter than you old one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MCTalley

When they install that strip, they tuck each end over and attach it pretty tight. I found that pulling it loose from one end or the other (preferably the lower end) and running it back into the channel will allow it to expand or contract naturally. Better yet, as I had the strip pulled out, I removed three or four of the screws behind the strip and ran them through the strip to keep it from falling or pulling out again. Make sure at least one screw is in the radius of the curve.

Per the truck exhaust theory - I've had both left and right strips come loose on multiple rigs. Our first trailer was pulled by a pre-emissions 2002 diesel. Still pulled loose.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm thinking it may have been stretched when it was installed.
I would replace it with new.

Peace
Dave

mlpeloquin

I would try a couple of small spots of Gorilla Glue about two inches apart for a two foot length. One foot from the center of the curve. When the fifth wheel is connected to the truck, make sure that the metal trim is not pulling away from the side. It will move back when the weight is off of the front pin. If it does this, it is frame flex/separation. Don't ask me why I know!

fastcarsspeed

Luckily no more regens for me or DEF ;) .. It is happening on both side of the rv but more pronounced on pass side. I think I am going to get some new trim to put back up but may make a relief cut somewhere and pull it back up into place. Not the end of the world but don't like it looking like that and afraid I am going to latch onto it one and yank it out.

kbbagshaw

So how do I fix this? I feel like I should just maybe heat it up and get it to stretch and go back in but feel like it will just do the same thing again.

Clear packing tape until we got home, then screws. Happened on both our Big Country and now our Cyclone. The Big Country was pulled by a non DEF truck.

osims

bsims
Both sides were coming out of the track on mine,I put a little bead of caulk, the same color as the trim in the side grooves and put the trim back in, so far it has stayed where it's supposed to.

Greengas

I had the same problem. I just cut the strip, put it back and place and now there is a small gap that I have no problem living with.