Trip Report #2 Lake Claiborne SP, LA

WalkTheLine

Since our planned trip to the Florida panhandle was cancelled the wife, kids, and I decided to go northwest and visit Lake Claiborne State Park north of Ruston,LA. Since I am a Mississippi State grad and my wife is a Tech grad, we also took the opportunity to go to the game in Ruston.We put the bikes in the rear popout and loaded up with food and drinks and hit the road.
We drove up I-55 and over to I-20 and some sections of the road were washboardrough forcing us to slow down but we still managed to lose the brakelight coveroff the rear of the Lynx.When we arrived, I took a closer look and noted that the light covers are snap on’s, they’re not screwed in. Talk about cost cutting….Anyways, it was a pretty drive with light traffic and plenty of easily accessible gas stations.

I learned that while my F-250 can easily pull the trailer, it guzzles gas! We got 7.7 MPG traveling around 64 mph. Wishing I had a diesel now. The other thing—it was hilly and the cruisecontrol just can’t handle the hills with the load. I pull my heavy flatbed with 2-3000 lb loadson it with no problem but I guess the extra weight and the wind resistancereally makes a difference.The CC would throw on the engine brake then at the bottom of the hill the revs weren’t there and gearing too high to handle the uphill part so I just quit using it.

The campground was amazing. Pretty hills,lots of hiking and bike trails plus a lake and very remote. I would definitely recommend it. When we were trying to make reservations, the system was down online so we had to call the park. After a lot of holding and switching, we gota reservation and were assigned #43, a back in 50 amp site. It was nice but it was probably the worst spot in the entire park.To make matters worse, when we explored, there were tons of empty spots overlooking the lake or more secluded sites so not sure why they stuck us with the one in the front with all thetraffic. In any case, I would definitely go back but now I know not to reserve #43!

We used the RV dump station for the first time and in spite of my misgivings and the horror stories, it went quite well with no mess! I was a happy camper.My only concern was with the 4 of us, wemanaged to fill up the grey water tank (35 gal) in 2 days even with conservingwater and quick showers so need to figure something out there.The grey water tank was probably 1/3 full(2/3rds empty).

Miss State won, the weather was perfect, and all slept well. We had a nice drive back too so it was a great weekend.We put about 650 miles on the trailer and everything worked perfectly except the taillight cover. Oh, and a piece of trim inside worked loose but I can fix that easily. All in all, we hada great weekend and look forward to the next one!

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
One question for you and it is about the game. What play do you call on 3rd and 93 yds to go? Lol. Hope you saw that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WalkTheLine

One question for you and it is about the game. What play do you call on 3rd and 93 yds to go? Lol. Hope you saw that

No kidding. There's no school for that sort of thing. It was a sloppy game on both sides and certainly didn't boost confidence with LSU coming to town Saturday.

jassson007

No kidding. There's no school for that sort of thing. It was a sloppy game on both sides and certainly didn't boost confidence with LSU coming to town Saturday.

Exactly. Couldn't believe what I saw when I caught it on sports center

jassson007

Just showed it again on game day "you had one job". Lol

Mimi

Andy and Joanna,

Ya'll were up in our neck of the woods. We live in Claiborne Parish and the State park is about 30 minutes away from us. It is a very nice park. Our favorite place to eat catfish (all you can eat) is right on the lake right down from the state park. If you comeback up this way give us a shout.

Cindy and Paul Robinson

jassson007

Andy and Joanna,

Ya'll were up in our neck of the woods. We live in Claiborne Parish and the State park is about 30 minutes away from us. It is a very nice park. Our favorite place to eat catfish (all you can eat) is right on the lake right down from the state park. If you comeback up this way give us a shout.

Cindy and Paul Robinson

It was walk the line that was up that way Cindy and Paul not us. But would love to meet y’all some time. The next Louisiana rally will be in the spring in Kinder at Coushatta.

WalkTheLine

It was walk the line that was up that way Cindy and Paul not us. But would love to meet y’all some time. The next Louisiana rally will be in the spring in Kinder at Coushatta.

Maybe we can make the rally in Kinder this spring. We're HC members (just joined) but would love to see who's out there.

jassson007

Maybe we can make the rally in Kinder this spring. We're HC members (just joined) but would love to see who's out there.

Certainly please come. My wife should have sent y’all a note right after y’all joined and mentioned it.

WalkTheLine

Andy and Joanna,

Cindy and Paul Robinson

Yeah it was myself, the wife, and kids. We saw something about the catfish place and will definitely check it out next time and give yall a heads up. It is very nice and quiet up there!

- - - Updated - - -

Certainly please come. My wife should have sent y’all a note right after y’all joined and mentioned it.

I need to go back and review your wife's message-- I think she was talking about one you were having in Breaux Bridge that we couldn't make but will double check. Thanks and we hope to make it!

jassson007

Yeah it was myself, the wife, and kids. We saw something about the catfish place and will definitely check it out next time and give yall a heads up. It is very nice and quiet up there!

- - - Updated - - -

I need to go back and review your wife's message-- I think she was talking about one you were having in Breaux Bridge that we couldn't make but will double check. Thanks and we hope to make it!

No problem lol. Please join us in kinder though.

WalkTheLine

No problem lol. Please join us in kinder though.

Found the LA chapter site and the Kinder info. March 23rd wknd... I'll see if I have that weekend off. I'm a veterinarian and work every other weekend but the ones I have off are 3 day ones which is nice.