Tripping breaker when AC is used with other items.

Kevkim12

So my wife and I are newby campers, we were wondering if this was normal that every time the a/c is on we can not run the microwave with the lights on as well because it blows the fuse every time. Can we put another breaker in or any suggestions.

jimtoo

Re: Fuses

Hi KIevkim12,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

So others can give some helpful suggestions,, we need to know what unit you have and model, 30amp or 50 amp. Also both the a/c and microwave are on 120v. What fuse is it blowing or is it tripping a breaker?

Please let us know the answers to the above questions.

Jim M

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

With our NorthTrail, we had this issue. We just trained ourselves to turn off the AC for the few minutes the micro is running. Micro 'dings', AC back on. We do the same in our ElkRidge, we try not to run 2 ACs and the micro. (turn at least one AC off).

Erika

pegmikef

Mine only does it when it is really hot out, then the starting amperage for the A/C is really high. My 15k btu A/C runs at 1400 watts or so and the microwave also draws 13 or 14 hundred amps so it won't take much when the A/C starts up to pop the breaker. The same as others, microwave or A/C. Remember to wait four or five minutes to restart your A/C if you shut it down just to heat a cup of coffee or something in the microwave

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

30 Amp service should be adequate for the A/C and microwave to run at the same time. If you have the fridge and hot water heater running on 110 at the same time you may have too much going on.
What "fuse" or breaker is tripping? One at the pedestal or in the rig? If you have any electrical experience, make sure all the wiring in the 110 panel is tight to the buss for the white wires and the black wires to the breakers are tight. Turn off the power at the pedestal or unplug your shore power before doing this. A loose wire will overheat and cause the symptom you describe.

doxiecouple

We are prospective owners of a 2013 Landmark San Antonio, with an anticipated mid-February delivery. It will be a 50 amp unit. Our experience with the last four RV's we have owned has been this: On the two 30 amp systems we had to do the switch and bait drill, turning some things off at times. With the two 50 amp systems, we can run both AC's and any other device/system in the RV at the same time. Should we expect anything different in the Heartland San Antonio?

jimtoo

You should not have a problem with anything in your San Antonio. Unless you plug in to much that is controlled by the GFI. If you do,, just reset it.

Jim M