TV Quality in Landmark

budman229

The TVs in our new Landmark have been a disappointment so far. We have already swapped out the bedroom and basement Insignia
TVs for Visios. Much improvement in picture quality. The 55" LG in the living room has a terrible fuzzy picture even with the DVD player.
Thinking about a replacement for that one also.

danemayer

Any 55" TV should look pretty good because they're all going to be at least 1080p, as long as the video source provides 1080p.

If it's over the air antenna TV it should be crisp. If it's cable, most park cable is standard definition (480p at best) and won't look good on any 55" TV. If it's from the DVD player, it may be a mode setting or how they're cabled together. For a good picture, the cabling needs to be HDMI. If it's satellite, again, depends on how the receiver is connected, and what dish you're using.

billk263

California-South Chapter Leaders
I had to replace all of the HDMI cables to improve the picture quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

meagle

I had to replace the HDMI cables in the living area, replace the outside TV with a Samsung (the other quit working), and check and tighten the connections to get the pictures where they should be. We mainly use our satellite system to watch television.

Mburtsvt

The TVs in our new Landmark have been a disappointment so far. We have already swapped out the bedroom and basement Insignia
TVs for Visios. Much improvement in picture quality. The 55" LG in the living room has a terrible fuzzy picture even with the DVD player.
Thinking about a replacement for that one also.

Did the same thing - pulled the insignia’s out and replaced them with some mid range Samsung’s. Big Difference. Took the old ones to the recycling center - did not want to punish people if I gave them away. Removed the mirror off of the bed room TV as well. Made a big difference in the TV quality as well, (brighter).

I have the 65 “ LG in the Madison. Not the best TV for an upper end RV. Will be replacing it this summer. The TV - not the RV, (for now).

porthole

Retired
Any 55" TV should look pretty good because they're all going to be at least 1080p, as long as the video source provides 1080p.

If it's over the air antenna TV it should be crisp. If it's cable, most park cable is standard definition (480p at best) and won't look good on any 55" TV. If it's from the DVD player, it may be a mode setting or how they're cabled together. For a good picture, the cabling needs to be HDMI. If it's satellite, again, depends on how the receiver is connected, and what dish you're using.

The over the air antennas are capable of HD quality.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Size may be an issue, keep looking at all brands. In our Elkridge when our 37" failed, we found we couldn't find one any longer. It was 33" or 40". We went with 40", even though it was larger then the framing around it. Since it was on an articulating pullout arm, it didn't really matter. The straps still held it in place for travel.

TravelTiger

Its fuzzy even over the air. The Insignia TVs were much worse than the LG.

Fuzzy picture could be the cable connections, not the TVs. They are notorious for being badly crimped or loose. Check that first.

donr827

It's the lower price of Insignia TVs that RV manufacturers love. Go by a Best Buy and see the difference.
Don

Mburtsvt

It's the lower price of Insignia TVs that RV manufacturers love. Go by a Best Buy and see the difference.
Don

This kind of goes to the point. Why would a manufacture who markets the Landmark to a higher end customer as a higher end product add such lower quality TV’s. It’s the only thing that the consumer uses EVERY DAY. My perception of my Landmark has changed since purchase - and you know what they say about perception.

danemayer

I'm a little puzzled by some of the posts about the TVs. If you have a 1080p TV and a 1080p video source, and it's set up correctly, you should be looking at a very sharp and clear picture. On video with fast motion, like races, football, etc., the refresh rate makes a difference. While I haven't been TV shopping in a few years, refresh rate is kind of old news, so it would be surprising to find slow refresh rates like you would 6 or 7 years ago.

It seems way more likely to me that the TV or video source is set up incorrectly, or maybe there's a cable problem. Perhaps the default on the TV menu is less than ideal.

Anyway, before I changed out a new TV that had a 1080p mode, I'd be checking the setup pretty closely to make sure the problem was actually with the TV.

And if you're going to Best Buy to shop TVs, you're likely to see a lot of Insignia TVs because it's their house brand.

Mburtsvt

I'm a little puzzled by some of the posts about the TVs. If you have a 1080p TV and a 1080p video source, and it's set up correctly, you should be looking at a very sharp and clear picture. On video with fast motion, like races, football, etc., the refresh rate makes a difference. While I haven't been TV shopping in a few years, refresh rate is kind of old news, so it would be surprising to find slow refresh rates like you would 6 or 7 years ago.

It seems way more likely to me that the TV or video source is set up incorrectly, or maybe there's a cable problem. Perhaps the default on the TV menu is less than ideal.

Anyway, before I changed out a new TV that had a 1080p mode, I'd be checking the setup pretty closely to make sure the problem was actually with the TV.

And if you're going to Best Buy to shop TVs, you're likely to see a lot of Insignia TVs because it's their house brand.

The bigger discussion is around clarity and contrast of the TV. Yes it’s getting 1080i input from the source, but how it displays it is a quality issue. Brightness is an issue as well. Along with the user interface on my old insignia that looked like it was designed by Microsoft back in the eighties - the decision to upgrade to real TV’s was much more easier. To your point -go to a TV reseller and watch the difference between a $150 TV and a $250 TV. Insignia's are not reviewed well.

I agree - you will see a lot of insignia’s at Best Buy - they hit a price point and margin requirements to make a larger profit on. They have become the new LG as LG started stepping up to compete with Samsung in the under 55 inch arena.

TravelTiger

If the picture is fuzzy, maybe it is the cable connections. I know we removed the splitter that goes to the outside tv, and fixed the bad crimps on the cables, and our picture quality improved quite a bit. (Insignia 55")

Westwind

We have a Sharp in our 2012 Bighorn, picture quality is very good with the Tailgater hooked up directly to the Dish box and TV, doesn't work on Satellite connections. I don't have a lot of confidence in the quality of the materials and installation at the factory level.

JENDAVE

Did the same thing - pulled the insignia’s out and replaced them with some mid range Samsung’s. Big Difference. Took the old ones to the recycling center - did not want to punish people if I gave them away. Removed the mirror off of the bed room TV as well. Made a big difference in the TV quality as well, (brighter).

I have the 65 “ LG in the Madison. Not the best TV for an upper end RV. Will be replacing it this summer. The TV - not the RV, (for now).

Are you interested in selling that mirror? my new Madison did not come with it.
Jen

Mburtsvt

Are you interested in selling that mirror? my new Madison did not come with it.
Jen

I sent you a PM. There is nothing special about the mirror. Its a piece of one-way glass. You can get it at a good glass shop. It should not cost more that $45-55. I would not recommend adding it to you RV. There is a reason they no longer offer it.

kbausano

I spent a lot of time tracing the coax cables on our 2016 Bighorn, and was perhaps shocked to discover that the largest tv (in the living area) was actually third in line for cable signal provided by the parks. It's reflected in reception quality: our bedroom Insignia (first in line) actually gets a pretty crisp picture. The basement outlet is second in line (and after two splitters). I've not tried connecting a tv there. Third comes our 55" Insignia, which is constantly struggling (this is following THREE splitters), then lastly is our outdoor entertainment center (an LG that also struggles).

On the positive side, the satellite connections (2 separate ones) go directly to both the living room and bedroom - so those pictures are generally better. But it does seem that cable tv signal could have been split right at the input location, sending one signal to the LR and the BR and avoid this 'death by a thousand splitters.'

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk