TV Won't Lift Up

JanAndBill

Our TV drops down behind the fireplace and a lifting mechanism raises it up. Pushed the switch an nothing. Not sure if this is 12 volt or 120 any ideas. Where to start?

sengli

Our 3260 has the same mechanism. Pretty sure the motor that drives the televator, is 12VCD. I installed a LED 12 volt meter in our coach to monitor the battery voltage, and it drops like crazy when that motor is activated. It must be a current hog. If your TV is down, your best bet is to remove the fireplace (four screws) and get at the wiring and motor to see if the 12 volts is getting to the motor when the switch is pressed.

pegmikef

Pretty sure it is 12 volt. I was looking at the wires to maybe power my MCD shades. Since it won't come up you might suspect the switch first. I have had the fireplace out to change the bulbs and there is a plywood wall behind the fireplace that you would have to remove to access the tv and motor wiring or maybe you can lift the flap back and examine the wiring.

JanAndBill

Power to the switch but not sure which wire goes where. It has 6 spade terminals on the back of the switch, and the wire are to short get it out of the wall much. Did this once before only that time it was up and wouldn't go down. Came back next day to work on it and it's worked fine up until now.

danemayer

Sounds like the same kind of switch used for the stabilizers and front landing gear.

Attachments

• DPDT DC-motor-reversing-switch-schematic-wiring-diagram-285x275.jpg
    DPDT DC-motor-reversing-switch-schematic-wiring-diagram-285x275.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 25

JanAndBill

Sounds like the same kind of switch used for the stabilizers and front landing gear.

Using your schematic, there is a power (red stripe) and a ground (white) coming in to the top two terminals. There is a jumper power (red stripe) and ground (white) that goes from the top two terminals to the bottom two terminals. There is a brown stripe wire and white wire connected to the middle two terminals that go to the motor. The brown stripe connects to the red wire on the motor, and the white connects to the black on the motor. I'm suspecting the switch. going to run a jumper to the motor.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Check for 12 volts going to the switch, check for 12 volts at the red and white wires at the top of the switch.
If there is 12 volts there then determine if the motor is getting 12 volts. Hook your meter to the black stripe/red and the white/black.
Push the switch to raise or lower the TV. If the switch is sending 12 volts to the motor and nothing moves you probably have a bad motor.

Peace
Dave

JanAndBill

Ran a hot and ground to the motor no response either way. Does that motor maybe have a limit switch that could be stuck?

JanAndBill

Problem solved!!!!!!!! When all else fails, whack it with a hammer :cool: Not quite sure why, but apparently if you run the up or down to far it's like it get's stuck between poles??? Tapped on the motor with a hammer and wiggled it on it's mount. Works like a charm. (till the next time it gets stuck I guess). Any ideas on replacement motors for these things, or do you have to buy the whole mount????

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Problem solved!!!!!!!! When all else fails, whack it with a hammer :cool:

That's pretty funny!

Reminds me of when I got pulled over a few years back in my old Dodge van for a burnt out headlight . . .

I got out and whacked the headlight with my hand and it came back on!

The officer said with a smile "Forget I said anything!" and took off.

That headlight did eventually burn out . . . about five years later!