Two year old water heater leaking

hut

Hey, all! I’ve pulled my heater out to find a leak since the connections all looked good. On the top I found a corrosion spot with a trail running down. Is a corrosion leak a possibility? I haven’t put it under pressure since I pulled it. IT’S ONLY TWO YEARS OLD!! 😩😩

Attachments

• 07816ED8-4014-4F41-91EC-D0B2EAB519C4.jpeg
    07816ED8-4014-4F41-91EC-D0B2EAB519C4.jpeg
    25 KB · Views: 44

danemayer

If it's a Suburban, have you checked the condition of the anode rod? It's sacrificed during use to protect the tank. If it's not replaced periodically the tank can be damaged.

The 12 Gallon Suburban units come with a 2 year warranty against manufacturing defects, from the manufacturer (not Heartland). You might call Suburban at 423-775-2131

hut

It's a Dometic.

I pulled the insulation off and hooked it up again and it blew a pretty good hole by the corroded place on top. I guess I'm in the market for a new one....

What can be done to keep the from happening? Again, it's only two years old.

Thanks!

jbeletti

Two years seems pretty extraordinary to have a corroded through water heater. You mentioned it was a Dometic branded unit. I believe that is what used to be an Atwood water heater. Dometic purchased Atwood a few years back. Historically, Atwood used glass-lined tanks. As such, they didn't "need" a sacrificial anode rod like the Subrban water heaters do.

Do you know if you have a plastic drain plug in this water heater or an anode rod? If it has an anode rod, using a 1-1/16" socket, pull it out and let's see what it looks like. If there's just a wire left and no anode material (magnesium or aluminum - typically), that's the issue that allowed the corrosion of the tank.

If this is a no-anode rod model, I'd consider contacting Dometic Customer Service to check on warranty for the unit.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Or look for mice that used his dentist
830140782f30ced71e444cf185c01e27.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hut

Two years seems pretty extraordinary to have a corroded through water heater. You mentioned it was a Dometic branded unit. I believe that is what used to be an Atwood water heater. Dometic purchased Atwood a few years back. Historically, Atwood used glass-lined tanks. As such, they didn't "need" a sacrificial anode rod like the Subrban water heaters do.

Do you know if you have a plastic drain plug in this water heater or an anode rod? If it has an anode rod, using a 1-1/16" socket, pull it out and let's see what it looks like. If there's just a wire left and no anode material (magnesium or aluminum - typically), that's the issue that allowed the corrosion of the tank.

If this is a no-anode rod model, I'd consider contacting Dometic Customer Service to check on warranty for the unit.

It has a plastic plug. Sadly, I cannot find my receipt, but I will contact Dometic and see if anything can be done.

Thanks!

danemayer

It has a plastic plug. Sadly, I cannot find my receipt, but I will contact Dometic and see if anything can be done.

Thanks!

If you remember where you bought it, they may have a record. Also, it may be possible to establish approximate age by serial #.

david-steph2018

Just sent info and pics to Dometic. There's a chance! :)

DH

When I had an issue with our water heater, control board went bad, they (Dometic) wanted it verified by a mobile tech or a repair shop for the warranty replacement. That was just in Sept 2018.

hut

When I had an issue with our water heater, control board went bad, they (Dometic) wanted it verified by a mobile tech or a repair shop for the warranty replacement. That was just in Sept 2018.

Hey David-Steph! I still smile when I read your posts. We are David and Steph also! :)

Yes, the support lady told me to mail pics in to verify the issue and said the techs could make the determination. The lady that received my pics wasn't so cordial.... The place I purchased from is out of business, so I got no help there trying to find the purchase date. Looks like I'm up a creek.

I was curious if anyone has tried a tankless model. I have a guy trying to sell me a Girrard? The reviews I've read are not great.

jbeletti

...I was curious if anyone has tried a tankless model. I have a guy trying to sell me a Girrard? The reviews I've read are not great.

I'd go for a Truma or a Suburban tankless. I've had early generations of the Girard and it was a struggle.

mlpeloquin

Thanks!
So did mine. It turns out that the dealer pulls the anode rods and many other things out of each rig. I was told this by my sales man who became a friend. After the sale, a box with the parts is then located and parts are installed. Turns out that if you got a plastic plug, you got the parts from the wrong box. I had asked about the plastic plug during the walk through and was told that the water heater did not need an anode rod. Wrong! Mine started to leak two years later as well. Just made it home. It was replaced on an extended warranty.