u-bolt torque for 8K Landmark axles

oldelmer1

I cant find what they should be torqued at, some say 65Lbs and some say 90lbs.

Which is right.

THANKS!!!

UPDATED:
9/16 inch u-bolts, 7/8 nuts, 85 lbs.

Last edited:

Dennyha

I have what I believe to be an important consideration.

I have broken 3 center bolts on my tandem 7k axles' leaf springs. At the national rally, I discussed this with the representative with Dexter Axle. He was pretty emphatic that the only way there should be significant shear stresses on the center bolt is if the u-bolts are not sufficiently tightened. He showed me the specs for my 1/2 inch u-bolt, with flare nuts as being 70 ft-lbs. Since the rally, I've checked the u-bolts that I know were tightened to spec during my disc brake upgrade at the rally. With the weight of the camper sitting on the leaf springs, I was able to tighten each nut several turns to hit 70 ft-lbs. I believe the weight of the camper eliminates any gap between the leafs of the leaf spring, reducing the bolt/nut torque. Time will tell, but I'm hoping that since I've tightened each of the u-bolts with the full weight of the camper on the springs, I will not have any more issues with center bolts. Time will tell...

WillyBill

I have what I believe to be an important consideration.

I have broken 3 center bolts on my tandem 7k axles' leaf springs. At the national rally, I discussed this with the representative with Dexter Axle. He was pretty emphatic that the only way there should be significant shear stresses on the center bolt is if the u-bolts are not sufficiently tightened. He showed me the specs for my 1/2 inch u-bolt, with flare nuts as being 70 ft-lbs. Since the rally, I've checked the u-bolts that I know were tightened to spec during my disc brake upgrade at the rally. With the weight of the camper sitting on the leaf springs, I was able to tighten each nut several turns to hit 70 ft-lbs. I believe the weight of the camper eliminates any gap between the leafs of the leaf spring, reducing the bolt/nut torque. Time will tell, but I'm hoping that since I've tightened each of the u-bolts with the full weight of the camper on the springs, I will not have any more issues with center bolts. Time will tell...

Your guess on camper weight is partly correct (sorry, no offense) but a bigger issue is that they take some road shock and miles to finish shaping to fit the axle tightly. I have found that if you hit them smartly around the bends and anywhere they are not laying on they axle tightly on the axle with a 3-4 lb hammer while rattling them with an impact gun they usually go tight and stay that way. (Weight of the unit on them at this time is a good thing) They will need to be checked after the first leg of your next trip and once more after a whole trip. Repeat if you found any loose the last time. I know, pounding with a hammer is unorthodox, but it really does accelerate the fitting of the bolts to the axle. They also stretch a bit and this helps get that done as well. And no, I've never had one break from doing this.

WB

MTPockets

I checked my u-bolt torque every thousand miles and always found 3 or more nuts that needed re-torqued. We travelled full time nearly 5 years with our Big Horn and it was two years before they all settled down. We never had tire, suspension, or axle issues.

oldelmer1

I just went out and torqued all the u-bolts to 85 lbs.

I have to admit, it took more turns than I expected to get to 85 lbs.

I did use a caliper on the u-bolt and of course, it measured between 1/2 and 9/16, hence the 85 lbs.

I chickened out for going to 95lbs.

Anyone go for 95 lbs on 8000 axles?

danemayer

Sorry to be late, been on the road. Here's the table from the Dexter Maintenance Guide. I notice there are minimum and maximum values.

Dexter Suspension Torque Values.JPG

oldelmer1

I called Dexter and gave them my serial number of the axle and they said that my u-bolts are 9/16 with 7/8 nuts on top.

The torque setting is 85 lbs.

Thanks all.....