Underbed storage in BC - shallower than expected

Elder1

Hi we take delivery of our new 3250ts this Friday and one thing we noticed was the under bed storage. The specs on the bed room state "Bedroom Slideout w/Underbed Storage" but when we looked there was about 2 to 3" under the bed and we are not sure what we are suposed to be able to store there. I know things change from time to time, but our MH had about 2' of clearence under the bed and the last 5er we owned (it was a Montana) had about the same so is 3" standard now?

Thanks

jbeletti

Hi we take delivery of our new 3250ts this Friday and one thing we noticed was the under bed storage. The specs on the bed room state "Bedroom Slideout w/Underbed Storage" but when we looked there was about 2 to 3" under the bed and we are not sure what we are suposed to be able to store there. I know things change from time to time, but our MH had about 2' of clearence under the bed and the last 5er we owned (it was a Montana) had about the same so is 3" standard now?

Thanks

It's a function of the slide-out mechanism and how it is employed. We have some floor plans that use an electric slide-out mechanism with an off-set motor. Those models have about one foot of storage depth.

Some of our hydraulic slide-out systems also provide that sort of depth. I am unsure as to the dependencies and when we can have the depth and when we cannot. Sorry it was not as you expected. I will ask them the literature be double checked and if needed, reworded for the next printing so we do not lead anyone astray.

Jim

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Just a thought, but we have the same shallow storage area on our BH, and I use the vacuum type spacebags to vac pack my bulkier comforters, blankets and extra pillows. There is quite a bit stored under ours and those bags make items nice and flat.

Elder1

thanks Jim
We were a bit surprised at the uh amount of storage space, but if that's the only thing we can find to complain about you all have done one GREAT job with that unit :)

Bryan

Elder1

Hi Ray and Deb
we have used the vacuum spacebags before and to tell the truth have not had one yet that did not expand. Can get interesting trying to get em out of a tight place, we figure to use the under bed for oh, books, extra wash cloths, etc., that should work just fine.

Happy Camping to all

2010augusta

Here is another way to add storage if you like using a saw. We have 2 large plastic bins that will slide on the carpet and holds lots of towels, spare bedding, and jackets. There is more room there, you just have to find it.

Attachments

• DSCN8361.JPG
    DSCN8361.JPG
    261.5 KB · Views: 108
  • DSCN8362.JPG
    DSCN8362.JPG
    211.9 KB · Views: 105

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Great idea Alan. I've been racking my brain trying to figure out how to cut and hang some kind of shelf under there. The idea of slick bottom tubs is great. Right now we are only putting sheets and small towels that will lay flat (not much stuff) but at least they are finding a storage spot. I also went to Wallyworld (WalMart) and bought a dresser that fits perfect in the closet on the left side. Lots of storage/drawer space now.
Byrd

boatdoc

Your storage may possibly be like ours "was" under the bed and if you go to one of my earlier posts you will find how we and others got more room under there. I believe I even posted skew #'s for the baskets. I don't know how to do that linky stuff.

AL KADEY

ALLEYKAT&MOMMAKAT
I built 2 boxes and attached them to the wooden bed enclosure that the mattress support rests on. The one at the front of the enclosure is about 12" w x 10 " d and 48'" long and attaches to one 2x2 support and fastens at each end. The other (by bathroom) was a SIDE AND BOTTOM ONLY .it attached to a 2x2 in the centre, and to the bottom support on the side of the enclosure. It is approx 24" w x 12" deep and about 4' long.The boxes were built out of 1/8" hard board and 1x2 framing. I cut the original panel board to fit the centre area of the storage area and replaced it in the original position to cover the slide mechanism. O the first try, the frame of the slide mechanism rearranged the shape of the smaller box so I had to modify it as Ihad not allowed enough clearance for the slide mechanism. Now the storage boxes move with the bed, clear of the carpet, and there is much more space for light bulky items.

caissiel

When I modified the bed frame to suit a 60" wide Queen size Mattress, I looked at the space of storage and was able to find more space by installing 4 off 1x3 straps besides the cylinder and just high enough for the bottom of the storage to clear the cylider, I think I was able to leave almost an inch of space. Now we have more and plenty of storage under the bed. I had to install hangers on the front part of the bed frame that the 1 x 3 hang down from, about 3 inches.