underbelly cloth inside the toilet drain?

marknewbill

Hello all,
I have a cloth inside the edge of my toilet drain pipe. it is only visible when the drain is open. it was there when new, and the camper is only a few months old. I took it in for repair (of other items and this was also on the list) and i was advised that is just part of the "installation" and if i wanted it fixed I would have to pay to get it removed. I am attaching a picture. Well, with a comment like that, nothing would be under warranty if it was mis-installed.

I could easily reach in there with a blade and cut it out, but my concern is will the liquids seep through the pipe joint through the cloth and into my under floor area?

What would you do if you seen this between the seat and the pipe section, glued in place. it is not under the toilet, if it was that easy I wouldn't even ask.

Brand new Heartland camper, well maybe 3 months old.

thanks,

Attachments

• material in drain.jpg
    material in drain.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 74

centerline

The photo is small and blurry, but if it isnt already leaking, then its sealed and cutting it out wont make any difference.... rubber gloves and a utility knife will solve the issue.

RoadJunkie

I'm sure that you know what we're looking at, but I sure can't tell. Maybe take a picture of where we're at standing back a bit so we can get some reference?

Gary521

First of all, what they told you is BS. They just did not want to mess with it. That being said, this is an easy fix. It looks like the seal between the ball and the bowl. Parts at any RV place.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Need a better photo and exactly where that "object" is relative to the bottom of the toilet bowl.

marknewbill

Need a better photo and exactly where that "object" is relative to the bottom of the toilet bowl.

Yes, a better photo will be hard since the phone will not go any farther into the drain.
but I can explain, there is a white part, that is the very bottom of the toilet drain. the black part that starts there is the seat that is bolted to the wood floor. then on the lower right of the photo, the circled item is a fuzzy woven cloth that is used on the underbelly. the cloth edge is protruding through the joint between the seat on the floor and the pipe going into the tank.

it was basically laying on top of the tank pipe apparently, then the seat was pressed over it with the glue, and it was just left there. so the cloth goes all the way from the outside of the pipe to the inside of the pipe through the glued joint.

The photo is small and blurry, but if it isnt already leaking, then its sealed and cutting it out wont make any difference.... rubber gloves and a utility knife will solve the issue.

You guys are clicking the thumbnail and getting the full page picture aren't you? it is like an 5x7 size on my screen, fairly life size.
Just asking.

Last edited by a moderator:

marknewbill

I decided to just remove the toilet myself, which was of course easy and I took a razor blade with some tape on all but a corner to make a shank of sorts and reached in the drain and cut it out. I then took some more pipe glue for good measure and smeared it on the joint where the cloth had protruded.