Upgrade bed in Wilderness 2175RB to queen size

SailorDon

The bed in my 2014 Wilderness 2175 RB was advertised as "queen size", but it is at least 7" short of real queen size bed.
I am 6' 4" tall and my feet hang over the end of the short bed supplied (as shown in the pic below).

I've been sleeping across corners for over 2 years and now was the time to upgrade to a full queen size bed in my travel trailer.
Plywood, hinge and support legs should solve the problem. (see pic below)

I'm waiting for the paint to dry before final assembly, but the results of the modification are shown by the final fit and placement of the parts.

Now I need to buy a standard issue queen size mattress to replace the "shorty" Heartland issue.

SailorDon

Almost ready for a "sleep test" :)

The new mattress is a Serta Alesbury Queen Size memory foam.
This should give me a "sweet sleep" when I'm on the road camping. :D

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
You are going to like the extension, I did the same thing to my North Trail. Removed the OSB and used plywood.
I had to remove the hinges however, as they were wearing a hole in the mattress. Cut and placed a door at the foot of the bed
and use that for the storage items. No more trying to lift the bed.

SailorDon

Definitely and upgrade on what they come with. Nice job.
I'm not sure what the "mattress" was that came with my Wilderness.:confused: IMHO it wasn't a mattress.
It looks like the fiberglass insulation in the attic of my house. Maybe I will use it to increase the R value of my house.
I will check to make sure it is flame resistant first. If it goes up in a ball of fire, I will report back with video.

I'm looking forward to catching some better 'Z's when traveling in my travel trailer.

'Lil Guy'

That Wilderness mattress isn't any different than the North Trail and about any other brand. Short and hard. We used a thick mattress topper and it made our NT almost bearable. I'm sure you'.ve got the right solution. Enjoy.

SailorDon

I will check to make sure it is flame resistant first. If it goes up in a ball of fire, I will report back with video.
I cut out a sample of the stuffing of the old (unlabeled) mattress that Heartland supplied.
It will sustain fire, but it doesn't go up in a ball of flame like when Jerry Lee Lewis plays piano. :)
x240-wPs.jpg

The flaming Heartland mattress is not worthy of a video. :(

Hutch85

You're going to like the improvement, I did the same in our Wilderness 2250 - longer OSB base and a real queen-size mattress. Huge improvement for us, I'm 6'3" and it makes for a much nicer sleep.

SailorDon

You're going to like the improvement, I did the same in our Wilderness 2250 - longer OSB base and a real queen-size mattress. Huge improvement for us, I'm 6'3" and it makes for a much nicer sleep.
I've been "camping out" in my backyard enjoying the new memory foam mattress.
Hutch85 is absolutely right. I'm liking the improvement. :)
Much nicer sleep! I think this is the best "mod" I have made to my travel trailer. I am a happy camper.

If you look towards the bottom of the photo, you can see the two legs I added to support the additional 7" overhang
as compared to the original "shorty" bed.

Hutch85

Nice! We hung on for a year with the factory mattress, but found after 2-3 nights we're just too old for the marginal cushioning ;)

SailorDon

Cut and placed a door at the foot of the bed and use that for the storage items. No more trying to lift the bed.

The queen size memory foam mattress is exactly what I needed.
I guess the door you placed at the foot of the bed requires getting down on the floor to access the contents of the storage bin under the bed.
My solution requires lifting the bed, but once lifted, I prop it up with a couple of support struts I cut from scrap lumber.

No need to get down on the floor.