Upgrading to Independent Suspension and Disc Brakes

Alan_B

Last week we took the big plunge and upgraded our Bighorn 3570RS suspension and brakes. We took the fifth wheel to MORryde in Elkhart and had their independent suspension and disc brakes installed.

The service experience at MORryde was top notch. All the folks we dealt with were polite, professional and knew their business. The install is very clean and looks OEM.

How does it drive with the upgrades? The disc brakes are a big improvement. I noticed this right away on the test drive and the drive home. I am still adjusting the settings on the brake controller, reducing the settings to get a smoother stop.

The impact of the independent suspension isn't as noticeable. It is clearly better handling potholes and railroad tracks. The quality of the ride down the highway is about the same as before, with a small improvement (reduction) in chucking. I will drive it a bit more before making a decision on a new pin box.

Here are some more specifics on the upgrade:
  1. We arrived at MORryde Sunday afternoon and parked in their RV parking area (see photo #1 below). There were several new unpainted DRV fifth wheels in the lot, waiting for service. We didn't sleep in the Bighorn, rather we stayed in a nearby hotel.
  2. At 6 am Monday morning we came back and met the service manager and mechanics that would be handling the work. They took measurements of the fifth wheel to see how level we were riding prior to the upgrade.
  3. At this point they would also normally weight the unit. But since the Bighorn wasn't loaded for a normal trip, they instead used our recent CAT scale weights from an October vacation. Based on those factors we went with two 7,000 lb. IS systems, as expected.
  4. Our mechanic backed the unit into their shop and went to work. We stayed in their customer lounge all that morning, just in case issues arose (non did).
  5. After lunch I checked on the unit and the first IS unit had been installed (see photo #5 below) along with the hydraulic master cylinder for the brakes (photo #6).
  6. All the work as completed by 1 pm on Tuesday. After a short test drive, the unit was re-measured and it was still riding level. They talked us through the maintenance schedule, gave us all the proper documentation, and we hit the road.

Attachments

• 1 Parked at MORryde.jpg
    1 Parked at MORryde.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 204
  • 2 Feeling Welcome.jpg
    2 Feeling Welcome.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 193
  • 3 In the Shop.jpg
    3 In the Shop.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 193
  • 4 Old Axles Removed.jpg
    4 Old Axles Removed.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 194
  • 5 New Axle and Disc Brake.jpg
    5 New Axle and Disc Brake.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 200
  • 6 Brake Reservoir.jpg
    6 Brake Reservoir.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 187

wdk450

Congrats on your big safety and ride upgrade!!!

After I had the disk brakes added, I started putting flat spots on my trailer tires from hard braking events. There is no ABS system to prevent wheel lockups in hard braking, and it is very tough to detect trailer wheel lockup 35 feet behind the driver's seat. After spending $1200 on new tires, I decided that flat spots on the tires was not cause to replace them again, and have tried to adjust the controller for the best compromise between safe hard braking events and trying to not lock up the wheels.

A big bonus with the IS upgrade is that you will no longer have to worry about the frame I-beams twisting lengthwise like mine (and many other 5th wheels) have, due to the steel box welded in between the I-beams for the IS upgrade, and the elimination of leaf springs, shackles, bushings, equalizers, and spring hangars, which all seem to wear out.

Alan_B

Congrats on your big safety and ride upgrade!!!

A big bonus with the IS upgrade is that you will no longer have to worry about the frame I-beams twisting lengthwise like mine (and many other 5th wheels) have, due to the steel box welded in between the I-beams for the IS upgrade, and the elimination of leaf springs, shackles, bushings, equalizers, and spring hangars, which all seem to wear out.

Yes, that was actually the primary reason for the IS upgrade, less wear and tear on the fifth wheel. Any ride improvement would be a bonus :)

Garypowell

We did the same upgrade in 2015 but had the 5th airborne on new. Ride over tracks and road joints was much improved. But actually picked up some chucking.

Only took a drive or two to figure out new air pressure and now have a really smooth ride.

Take hearr, I think you’ll find it too.....just give it some time.....well and maybe a different pin box if what you have is still the standard.

mlpeloquin

Find a long enough run where you can have someone observe you applying the break controllers slide bar. Go about 25mph. If you are locking up, back off a setting and repeat until you do not lock up the breaks. Then back of another setting when it rains so they do not lock up on wet surfaces. You will get the proper setting quickly without wearing down flat spots.

JMP

Glad you are happy with your install. We upgraded our RW last year w/8k IS, 8kPSI brakes and pin box. I just love the fact i can stop or slow down when needed with no chucking.