Using DD-WRT as a wifi hub/booster

DruidZ

I have a Linksys router with DD-WRT installed and I am trying to use it to connect to the campground wifi and server my internal network including the wired ethernet part. I have searched everywhere for simple instructions but I can't seem to make it work. Has anyone made this work and can you describe the setup using these terms:

• Campground SSID is CG
  • Campground password is CGPW
  • My router is LR
  • My internal network is 192.168.215.0/24

I have a separate DHCP server on my network. If I have to I can move it to the Linksys to get the proper DNS server distributed.

Basically I want a fixed setup inside the toad including the wired desktops and printer and connect to whatever campground wifi I can find from the router. Sometimes I will even tether the router to one of our phones if the external stuff is too slow

Can anyone suggest how to do this?

kf5qby

Are you wanting an internal wifi-network/wired and a bridge to the campground network? Which linksys device do you have?

If you have 2 different radios (i.e. 2.4GHz and 5 Ghz) then you can set a SSID on one that is your internal network. The second radio you can set up with the campground SSID and key. In all likely hood you would have to use 5Ghz as your private network to ensure maximum compatibility with various campgrounds. If you only have one radio I don't think you can do both.

I have never set up DD-WRT as a public bridge and a private Wi-Fi. I have only used it in our internal network as a bridge/wifi access point.

If you don't have a firewall between the 2 sides you will need to use the campground DHCP server to get the IP addresses. Otherwise you risk IP address conflicts or using an IP scheme that is not compatible with the campground network.

If it was me I would use the Linksys as a firewall/private access point. Then use a stand alone AP, plugged into the WAN side of the linksys to link to the campground. This way the WAN interface gets the local IP in the campground and everything on the private side of the Linksys translates to that address. This will allow you to have your internal network functioning even when there is no Internet access available.

The Linksys would then act as a DHCP server for your private network to dole out IP addresses.

- - - Updated - - -

One other thing, The link to the campground WiFi network has to be set as a bridge. Just setting it with the SSID and PW will not allow it to connect.

Oregon_Camper

What you are trying to do is known as "bridge mode". You need to enable that in your router vs current setting.

...or

You can ditch that router and get the Hootoo "Trip Mate" device. I have this and I can't believe what it offers for under $40.

1 - Router (AP mode, bridge mode, router mode)
2 - Battery charger for all USB devices (ipad...iphone...etc)
3 - Media Sharing to anyone you allow (using USB device with music or movies on it)
4 - Chromecast fully supported.

This will replace your router and it is very easy to setup/connect to internet source. Example...you get WIFI code from campground...you then use the app (free) to connect the HooToo TripMate to campground and then the Tripmate will act as a router and all your devices are connected.

We use this all the time. The best part is it is mobile, so you can move it to a location in your RV with the best coverage.....or even outside if you plan on spending time outside and what phone/tablet with you and have it still online. The battery last well over a day. Just uses standard USB plug to charge it.

I will be adding this to our Blog, with a video in the near future.

Link to Amazon

Capture.jpg

danemayer

Dump the old, slow router and spend $50 on this Edimax. It has WISP mode with allows you to connect to the campground WiFi using the outbound radio, and then sets up an inbound MIFI for all your devices. The radios for outbound and inbound are separate and the internal data transfer is fast.

It supports both 802.11AC at 5.0Ghz and 802.11 B/G at 2.4GHz, on both outbound and inbound. So as campgrounds migrate to 802.11AC, you're ready. And your newer devices can take advantage of their 802.11AC capability while your older devices can use the 2.4 GHz.

There are also 4 ethernet ports for your hardwired equipment. And a USB port for file or non-WiFi printer sharing.

The router is easy to set up and when you get to a new location, you just do a site survey, select the best WiFi source, and reboot. All your devices then have internet.

And in WISP mode, it works with Tengo Internet so you only need 1 coupon code.

And amazingly, Edimax has prompt customer support.

nander

Texas North Chapter Leaders-retired
Dump the old, slow router and spend $50 on this Edimax. It has WISP mode with allows you to connect to the campground WiFi using the outbound radio, and then sets up an inbound MIFI for all your devices. The radios for outbound and inbound are separate and the internal data transfer is fast.

It supports both 802.11AC at 5.0Ghz and 802.11 B/G at 2.4GHz, on both outbound and inbound. So as campgrounds migrate to 802.11AC, you're ready. And your newer devices can take advantage of their 802.11AC capability while your older devices can use the 2.4 GHz.

There are also 4 ethernet ports for your hardwired equipment. And a USB port for file or non-WiFi printer sharing.

The router is easy to set up and when you get to a new location, you just do a site survey, select the best WiFi source, and reboot. All your devices then have internet.

And in WISP mode, it works with Tengo Internet so you only need 1 coupon code.

And amazingly, Edimax has prompt customer support.

Dan, what is the maximum distance for this to the campground wifi? Is it a directional line of sight to campground wifi?

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Jim and Dan,

Will both of your products work with all existing wireless networks to take them in, boost them and then rebroadcast them via network cable or wireless? I am looking for something that while I am at home, will take the signal from my home wireless network and send that signal to my Netgear Nighthawk which is stored in my Landmark and runs all of my internet needs inside the fifth wheel. My existing cable modem is one that is supplied by our Home Owners Association for our private internet and they will not allow us to use any other modems. When we are gone, our wireless cameras use the wireless signal from our park supplied cable modem, which has a wireless router built in, at our space to monitor the cameras on our property. So we need to keep that modem at home to keep those cameras operational and it is not bridgeable so it would not work to travel with anyway. Currently when we are at home, we use our park supplied modem and hook a network cable directly into our Nighthawk and then when we travel we revert to using a wireless hotspot from our verizon smart hub and connect it directly through our Nighthawk via network cable so we do not have to reprogram how all of our devices connect to the internet. I would like to have a unit that when the free wireless networks near us are fast enough, that I can tap into those and use those and connect directly into my Nighthawk so again, we do not have to change our individual devices. I was told that my Nighhawk does not have a bridge mode so therefore cannot do what I need. Any suggestions? Should I ditch the Nighthawk or just add one of your devices in between?

Rod

danemayer

Dan, what is the maximum distance for this to the campground wifi? Is it a directional line of sight to campground wifi?

Hi Nancy,

A lot depends on what's between the campground access point and this device. It does have high gain antennas, so the reception is very good compared to a computer or laptop or phone, or many other routers.

With a clear view of the access point, you may get up to 300' on 2.4GHz and maybe 250' on 5.0GHz. I've been able to stream video at those distances from inside the RV if there's nothing in the way.

If there's light foliage in the way, 200' / 175' is more realistic. With heavy foliage, a WiFi signal can be completely blocked.

WiFi signals won't go around buildings very well, so if there's a building in the way, nothing will help, short of putting a repeater somewhere that has a clear shot at both the access point and your location.

There are other factors. From my work at Tiger Run Resort, I think the biggest problem most campgrounds have is congestion and interference on the 2.4GHz spectrum. There are just too many devices trying to talk at the same time on a very limited set of channels. So if the campground has upgraded and broadcasts at both 2.4 and 5.0GHz, connecting on 5.0 GHz will work way, way better. And over time, more and more campgrounds will migrate to the new protocols at 5.0 GHz.

For Tiger Run, I needed to recommend something to owners and regular visitors to give them good enough performance to stream HD video. The access points are placed so every property is no further than 175'. But we have very heavy foliage and a number of situations where buildings are in the way. So in a number of sites, while it was possible to do email or Facebook, there not enough signal strength to do video. I tested 4 or 5 of the latest, highly recommended routers. The Edimax unit wasn't on any expert's list, but beat them all by a wide margin. I think there are at least 20 in use at Tiger Run pulling in a signal that provides HD video.

On edit: I used to use a Pepwave Surf On the Go router with an external antenna and an antenna signal booster that improved the signal strength by 8-10 dBm, which is a lot. The Edimax does at least as well on signal strength, is much faster, and has 802.11AC 5.0GHz support and costs about 1/2 as much.

nander

Texas North Chapter Leaders-retired
Thanks, Dan!

Right now I've got a TP-Link repeater and modem to connect to my wifi at the sticks & bricks. Basically, what Rod is talking about. This works OK. It continually drops the signal and its 2.4. My modem in the house is 2.4 & 5.0 so you're saying I can connect to the 5.0 in the coach and the Edimax will let me use 2.4 or 5.0.

Is this correct?

danemayer

Jim and Dan,

Will both of your products work with all existing wireless networks to take them in, boost them and then rebroadcast them via network cable or wireless? I am looking for something that while I am at home, will take the signal from my home wireless network and send that signal to my Netgear Nighthawk which is stored in my Landmark and runs all of my internet needs inside the fifth wheel. My existing cable modem is one that is supplied by our Home Owners Association for our private internet and they will not allow us to use any other modems. When we are gone, our wireless cameras use the wireless signal from our park supplied cable modem, which has a wireless router built in, at our space to monitor the cameras on our property. So we need to keep that modem at home to keep those cameras operational and it is not bridgeable so it would not work to travel with anyway. Currently when we are at home, we use our park supplied modem and hook a network cable directly into our Nighthawk and then when we travel we revert to using a wireless hotspot from our verizon smart hub and connect it directly through our Nighthawk via network cable so we do not have to reprogram how all of our devices connect to the internet. I would like to have a unit that when the free wireless networks near us are fast enough, that I can tap into those and use those and connect directly into my Nighthawk so again, we do not have to change our individual devices. I was told that my Nighhawk does not have a bridge mode so therefore cannot do what I need. Any suggestions? Should I ditch the Nighthawk or just add one of your devices in between?

Rod
Hi Rod,

I've attached the Edimax User Guide which has illustrations that show how each of the 5 modes is used with other devices. If I understand what you're doing, you could ditch the Nighthawk and either use the Edimax in WISP mode with campground WiFi, and possibly with your home WiFi. When you want to use the Verizon Smart Hub as the connection to the internet, I think you would run the ethernet cable from the smart hub to the WAN connection on the Edimax and switch the Edimax to Access Point mode. I haven't tried that myself, but it looks like it would work. Or if the smart hub generates a local WiFi signal, the Edimax could connect to that in WISP mode, just like it does to a campground signal. Of course, if the smart hub is using 802.11g wireless protocol, it might not be as fast as using ethernet, but maybe still fast enough for what you're doing.

Attachments

• BR-6478AC_V2_User_Manual_English.pdf
    8 MB · Views: 9

danemayer

Thanks, Dan!

Right now I've got a TP-Link repeater and modem to connect to my wifi at the sticks & bricks. Basically, what Rod is talking about. This works OK. It continually drops the signal and its 2.4. My modem in the house is 2.4 & 5.0 so you're saying I can connect to the 5.0 in the coach and the Edimax will let me use 2.4 or 5.0.

Is this correct?

Yes. Using the site survey, you can force the Edimax to connect to the house at 5.0 GHz, assuming you have a strong enough signal. Then the Edimax will create local 5.0 and 2.4 GHz networks in the coach.

But the current setup dropping the signal leave questions as to why. If you're on 6 acres, you probably don't have interference of channel contention on 2.4GHz. If it's a distance issue at home, you might need an outdoor repeater too.

If the indoor router creates 802.11AC local WiFi, you could put a BleuCiel outdoor AP ($59) on the exterior of the house facing the RV and probably get a reliable connection to the RV. You'd configure the BleuCiel as a repeater. The BleuCiel only does 802.11AC however, so the house and the RV would both need 802.11AC capability. I've used the BleuCiel as a repeater at 5 locations at Tiger Run to get around buildings and boost signal strength. It's harder to configure and the documentation is poor, but it works very well.

For20hunter

Hi Rod,

I've attached the Edimax User Guide which has illustrations that show how each of the 5 modes is used with other devices. If I understand what you're doing, you could ditch the Nighthawk and either use the Edimax in WISP mode with campground WiFi, and possibly with your home WiFi. When you want to use the Verizon Smart Hub as the connection to the internet, I think you would run the ethernet cable from the smart hub to the WAN connection on the Edimax and switch the Edimax to Access Point mode. I haven't tried that myself, but it looks like it would work. Or if the smart hub generates a local WiFi signal, the Edimax could connect to that in WISP mode, just like it does to a campground signal. Of course, if the smart hub is using 802.11g wireless protocol, it might not be as fast as using ethernet, but maybe still fast enough for what you're doing.

Thanks Dan!!!

Oregon_Camper

Will both of your products work with all existing wireless networks to take them in, boost them and then rebroadcast them via network cable or wireless?

The Hootoo device is 2.4 GHz only...not 5 GHz. I know of no networking device that is only 5Ghz...they all support 2.4Ghz...and some do both. 5Ghz typically has less users and theoretically has faster throughput. 2.4GHz will go further and through walls better that 5GHz.

I am looking for something that while I am at home, will take the signal from my home wireless network and send that signal to my Netgear Nighthawk which is stored in my Landmark and runs all of my internet needs inside the fifth wheel.

Yes...the Hootoo can do this. In fact, once you have your Netgear device setup to talk to the Hootoo (one time setup) you will have to deal with it again. You only have to get the WiFi from the RV park...enter that user name/password via the App, and then everything is working. It is really really easy. I travel >100,000 a year for work and spend countless nights in hotels...this is my "go to "device to keep all my stuff online.

.... when we travel we revert to using a wireless hotspot from our verizon smart hub and connect it directly through our Nighthawk via network cable so we do not have to reprogram how all of our devices connect to the internet. I would like to have a unit that when the free wireless networks near us are fast enough, that I can tap into those and use those and connect directly into my Nighthawk so again, we do not have to change our individual devices.

That is EXACTLY what this device does. For example, when we came to the Pacific Region Rally (again...GREAT job managing that!!) I had my phone and work laptop, my wife had her phone and laptop, I also had a personal laptop I use for video editing (like the drone video) and we have an Amazon Echo and Google Chromecast device. All of those device connected to the Hootoo device, with no need to add the user name and password from 7 Feathers. I only used my phone to update the user name/password and BOOM! all of our devices were online. This is especially helpful when you go to RV Resorts that limit the number of devices you can have online. From their perspective, we are only putting one device online, which is the HooToo device.

I was told that my Nighhawk does not have a bridge mode so therefore cannot do what I need. Any suggestions? Should I ditch the Nighthawk or just add one of your devices in between?

Are all of the devices you use wife enabled? If so, then yes, ditch the Nighthawk. It is only added problems to a situation that is easily resolved.

As a final bonus, it does not need AC power to work. So, you could be driving down the road and communicating with all the network devices in your Landmark (assuming you have inverter on and they are powered via 110v). You can continue to use this device while it is being charged.

For20hunter

The Hootoo device is 2.4 GHz only...not 5 GHz. I know of no networking device that is only 5Ghz...they all support 2.4Ghz...and some do both. 5Ghz typically has less users and theoretically has faster throughput. 2.4GHz will go further and through walls better that 5GHz.

Yes...the Hootoo can do this. In fact, once you have your Netgear device setup to talk to the Hootoo (one time setup) you will have to deal with it again. You only have to get the WiFi from the RV park...enter that user name/password via the App, and then everything is working. It is really really easy. I travel >100,000 a year for work and spend countless nights in hotels...this is my "go to "device to keep all my stuff online.

That is EXACTLY what this device does. For example, when we came to the Pacific Region Rally (again...GREAT job managing that!!) I had my phone and work laptop, my wife had her phone and laptop, I also had a personal laptop I use for video editing (like the drone video) and we have an Amazon Echo and Google Chromecast device. All of those device connected to the Hootoo device, with no need to add the user name and password from 7 Feathers. I only used my phone to update the user name/password and BOOM! all of our devices were online. This is especially helpful when you go to RV Resorts that limit the number of devices you can have online. From their perspective, we are only putting one device online, which is the HooToo device.

Are all of the devices you use wife enabled? If so, then yes, ditch the Nighthawk. It is only added problems to a situation that is easily resolved.

As a final bonus, it does not need AC power to work. So, you could be driving down the road and communicating with all the network devices in your Landmark (assuming you have inverter on and they are powered via 110v). You can continue to use this device while it is being charged.

That is exactly what I needed to know. Thank you Jim!!

Rod