Validation needed - Rats nest of wires in front compartment

Oregon_Camper

My trailer is in storage, and I'm still planning my inverter install.

Need help with my wiring layout.

I think I have this correct, but a few other eyes on this will would be very helpful. :cool:

1 - I think #1 is the line to trailer brakes. They need to be "hot" regardless of cut off switch position.

2 - I believe #2 is the run from cut off that charges the battery (via converter) as well as feeding power back to #3 line when off shore power.

3 - I think #3 is the power in/out of cutoff from #5 via bus bar. #3 then allows all power to be cut off back to bus bar via switch when RV is in storage.

4 - I think #4 is that darn fuse that Dan is always showing everyone that gets tripped and therefore the batteries are not charging or pushing 12v back through #3 to bus bar.

5 - I think #5 is the actual line "in" from converter. Bus sends this to #3 cable as well as to high current items as well as a line back to fuse box inside RV

Sorry I have sooooooooo many questions. Hopefully this will/can help someone else attempting this later, if they read this post.

Capture.jpg

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 37

danemayer

#1 is probably the power to the breakaway switch for emergency braking.
#2 Appears to be the positive feed from battery to cutoff switch
#3 Appears to be the output of the cutoff switch, powering the buss bar
#4 Is probably not the manual reset breaker. If there are no other wires attached, and it's a breaker, it may just be additional protection for the battery - or protection from a battery problem.
#5 May be the breaker that feeds either the power converter, or the hydraulic pump. Those 2 are likely to be the top 2 on the buss bar. Those two wires are usually the thick wires. If you disconnect the wire from the right side of the 2nd breaker on the buss bar, and flip the battery cutoff to OFF, you can put a volt meter on the first breaker or on the disconnected wire from the 2nd breaker. One will have 13.2V DC. That's the wire to the Power Converter. The other thick wire is to the hydraulic pump. Another way to check is to look for the reset button on one of the first 2 breakers.

I think the manual reset breaker is likely to always be located on the buss bar. If there's a problem with the Power Converter, that location would protect other devices sharing the buss bar.

Oregon_Camper

Thanks Dan!!

I think you're right on the converter input. I'll need to test all that before I start my install and wiring clean up project.

That darn Jesstalkn in a bad influence. :cool: LOL