Van Horn, Texas KOA is no longer a KOA

pegmikef

One of my standard I-10 overnight stops has always been the KOA in Van Horn, TX. It is very conveniently located just a few blocks off the interstate and close to a Pilot so one can fill up at the same stop. During the snow bird season, they always had a nice little cafe that made great meals for a reasonable price.

Well I stopped here today on our way to Mesa, AZ for my grand daughter's graduate school graduation and it has morphed into a Good Sam's park now known as Van Horn RV Park. I spoke with the new owner and he said he and his crew are going to try to maintain the same standard at the park and they now feature a buffet (which unfortunately is closed on Sun, Mon, and Tue off season). He still gives the KOA discount or the Good Sam's discount.

MCTalley

We stayed there on the way out west and on the way back. Nice campground. Did they mention if they bought the area on the way in? There were a couple pretty rough looking mobile homes there that didn't do much to class the place up.

scottyb

Time will tell if that is a good or bad thing. We stopped there the last 3 years on the way home from AZ. Lots of good space to walk the dogs out back where the pond is at. It seems like we are always pulling in there after a very long haul and with in-climate weather.

pegmikef

We stayed there on the way out west and on the way back. Nice campground. Did they mention if they bought the area on the way in? There were a couple pretty rough looking mobile homes there that didn't do much to class the place up.

That wasn't brought up, but I agree. If anything, it looks like they have deteriorated more and look worse. Also there is that trashed out stable/junk yard that detracts too. But the park itself is still nice as are the pet and pond areas. The wifi is very good right now, but I think that is because the park is only about a quarter full with overnighters.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
KOA is setting new standards for their parks, (including designations for "Journey, Holiday, and Resort") and I'm guessing if franchisees don't want to meet those standards, they can give up their KOA status and continue on as a private park.

I know of a couple that have done this in TX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlw930

We'll be staying at the Nashville KOA the week after the Goshen rally. Never stayed there before, but the photos in their website gallery looked nice. For what they charge per night it should be REAL nice. In April, we overnighted at the KOA in Mt Pleasant, TX immediately after a storm. The sites had concrete pads and were plenty long, but very narrow. Generally, I like KOA's, although their quality varies, they are generally conveniently located with ample amenities.

TravelTiger

We'll be staying at the Nashville KOA the week after the Goshen rally. Never stayed there before, but the photos in their website gallery looked nice. For what they charge per night it should be REAL nice. In April, we overnighted at the KOA in Mt Pleasant, TX immediately after a storm. The sites had concrete pads and were plenty long, but very narrow. Generally, I like KOA's, although their quality varies, they are generally conveniently located with ample amenities.

Nashville KOA is very nice in comparison to Mount Pleasant!!

dlw930

Nashville KOA is very nice in comparison to Mount Pleasant!!

Glad to hear that TravelTiger! We liked the Choctaw KOA in Durant OK where the OK Chapter holds their rallies. But Choctaw has access to resources most KOA owners don't have. Fortunately, we didn't add much to their "resources" while we were there.

TravelTiger

Glad to hear that TravelTiger! We liked the Choctaw KOA in Durant OK where the OK Chapter holds their rallies. But Choctaw has access to resources most KOA owners don't have. Fortunately, we didn't add much to their "resources" while we were there.

Others may chime in, we only stayed one night. But the reason for the price is location. They are just down the road from the Grand Ol Opry and other attractions. It is a nice park, great store and looks like lots of amenities (pool, etc). The pull-through sit we had was very easy to get in and out.

Choctaw KOA is nice as well because it's very new, and designed for big rigs.

We tend to pick KOAs when we travel cross country because they tend to be fairly well-maintained and easy in/out pull throughs.

VKTalley

David and Donna, come join us in Nashville! Nashville KOA is our "home" campground when Malcolm (MCTalley) is working at his company's corporate office and we will be returning here after National Rally. Erika is correct in that this KOA is a bit pricer due to its proximity to Grand Ole Opry, Opryland Hotel, Opry Mills Mall and downtown Nashville. But then again, the other two campgrounds on Music Valley are in the same price point. A nice "amenity" not listed on the website is there is a downtown shuttle service that picks up here at the campground, drops off at 4th and Broadway downtown, picks you back up at that same location, and returns you to the campground...all for $10 per person round trip. You can't park your dually downtown for that. I use the shuttle to go downtown to have lunch with Malcolm about once a week when we are here.

If you want more details, contact me through the email on our blog and I'll try to answer any other questions you might have.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If you want to stay for a couple of days at a very nice park on Lake Bob Sandlin about 15 miles south of Mt. Pleasant TX try Camp Shiloh Lutheran Retreat. All they ask is you are a Christian to stay there (you don't have to be Lutheran). They have motel units, cabins, a Conference Center which as Male/Female dorms and sleeps 100 as well as 35 RV sites. The place gets heavy usage in the summer (summer camp and all) but is not crowded outside of the summer. Check them out at www.campshilohretreat.com

TravelTiger

If you want to stay for a couple of days at a very nice park on Lake Bob Sandlin about 15 miles south of Mt. Pleasant TX try Camp Shiloh Lutheran Retreat. All they ask is you are a Christian to stay there (you don't have to be Lutheran). They have motel units, cabins, a Conference Center which as Male/Female dorms and sleeps 100 as well as 35 RV sites. The place gets heavy usage in the summer (summer camp and all) but is not crowded outside of the summer. Check them out at www.campshilohretreat.com

Thanks for the tip, Jim! Did not know that place was there.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Thanks for the tip, Jim! Did not know that place was there.

We do their map for them and are staying there right now. Love this place. Terrible TV reception (ok with satellite) but quite and peaceful here.

MCTalley

My wife has already replied, but I'll throw in a couple tidbits. The price is based mostly on the local attractions (for example, a "cheap" room at the Opryland Hotel right now runs nearly $300 a night. Other local higher-quality hotels are in the $150-250 range per night).

There are two nearby alternatives: Jellystone (all gravel sites, slightly less per night than KOA) and Two Rivers (a bit less than the KOA and not bad, but 90% of their sites are 30 amp and we had power issues when we stayed on a 50 amp site there once - 104V on one leg, 135V on the other).

KOA has made a lot of capital improvements to the park here over the last couple years. The premium sites on rows I and J were done a couple winters ago and look great. They are just finishing up on improvements to the north side of the park, adding several new camping cabins and generally making the RV spots in that area look a little nicer.

Travel hack for the Nashville KOA - if you are going to be there for more than about 10-12 days, consider a "monthly" site, especially if you can get a site on the G row from sites 1 to 8. These are 105 ft. long pull-throughs with two sewer outlets, water, 50amp and cable. Current rate is $725 plus electric. If you have a 35' or smaller trailer, consider the back-in monthlies at $600 plus electric. Considering the summer rate gets close to $80 a night for the regular spots, it could be a bargain. They have a "newer RV" rule for the monthly sites, so this area tends to stay looking pretty nice. There are a couple of probably grandfathered older RVs, but they keep them looking decent.

Like Val said, stop by and see us. We'll be in the Nashville KOA for two weeks after the rally.

dlw930

We'll only be there 5 nights as I have a business seminar at Vanderbilt but need to be back in TX the following Monday. My employer will be paying for my park site so cost isn't really an issue. I understand why the site fees are what they are, like any resort or "destination" location would be. We will definitely look you two up, maybe at the national, if not before. Could use some tips on where to go and what to see (other than the GOO.). Thanks for the offer!