Vote Yea or Nea....Slider Hitch!!

GETnBYE

Thanks for your votes.

We are going to go with the non slider. We are in process of getting our new fiver. March 23rd!!!
Now the question may be 15k or 16k?
Thanks to everyone for voting.

DntDctr

what trailer? Mine is a 16k and for the difference in the $, why not go for the bigger capacity just in case.
Paul

santafedave

Santafedave
Slider Hitch

I have an F250 short bed and I use the slider hitch to back my trailer into the parking pad that I have next to my house. It will give you more than 90 degrees of turning radius for those tough back in's. D.

skyguy

Real men only buy real trucks, so I gots me a supercab (4 doors) and full bed. I can haul all kinds of people and all kinds of stuff. My SIL calls it the "BAT" - big a** truck

:eek:

Al S

GETnBYE

what trailer? Mine is a 16k and for the difference in the $, why not go for the bigger capacity just in case.
Paul

Paul, We are getting a 3250TS, not huge, going back and forth between the 15K and 16K.

Thanks for all the votes and information.

skyguy

Wayne -
Think about this motto...

Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it....

I'd do the 16k

Al S.

creeper

First HEARTLAND LIES about their 88 Degree turning radius. I have had mine at 90 degrees+ with no problem. :)

I have a B&W hitch and I have never been close to my cab.

Ford F350 Short bed, Crew cab.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
We are going to go with the non slider. We are in process of getting our new fiver. March 23rd!!!
Now the question may be 15k or 16k?
Thanks to everyone for voting.

I would go to the max that your truck will haul.

creeper

You had me for a second on that one Curtis! :eek: Thanks for sharing :)

Jim

Just having a little fun.

For the OP I had the same questions/concerns. I went with the B&W Hitch for several reason.

1. It has a GTV rating of 18,000lbs.

2. It leaves a completely clean bed when not using.

3. It has a positive lock. If you can't put the pin in, you're not hooked up.

4. You have to hold the jaws open to unhitch. So, if you for some reason you backed in and forgot to put the safety pin in, then it won't let the camper drop.

5. It's really easy to do a visual check on the jaws.

marina5

My former truck was a 2001 Ford F250 short box and I pulled 3 trailers with it and never had to slide the 5th wheel.
My replacement truck does not have a slider.

porthole

Retired
At the Heartland plant there are multiple short bed GMC pickups in the parking lot, I'm guessing for Heartland use. Guess that says something.

I did put a superglide in my truck, but that was during the "getting ready to buy a 5th wheel trailer" mode time frame.

We originally were ready to make a deal on a 3 year old never used SB toy hauler, which would have required a slider.

My truck was ready for the trailer before we even bought one. I had gone to Indiana to look at the big 4 toy haulers, SB, KZ, Heartland and Keystone.

Don't know if I will need it or not with the Cyclone, but it is there and is staying.

BTW - with a Superglide hitch you absolutely cannot go past 90 degrees. You will damage the hitch and cause a failure.

I am expecting that I may have a need for the slide just getting into my driveway. Although I frequently can just turn around n the cul-de-sac and back straight in, occasionally I have to back in on a angle, and my driveway is a little steep.

So my thoughts are when the trailer back end is going uphill and the front of my truck is still a little nose high the extra room the slide offers will keep the upper part of the trailer away from the cab.

Happy Campers

I have a long bed but i'm thinking about swapping for a slider. I have a few other plans for my truck as well but i'll wait until i'm sure all this is going to happen. :evil grin:

We have a 08 Ford 250 reg. bed w/ a 3300RL and a Curt Q5 Slider Hitch. I have been in a Motorhome for 6 or 7 years and this 5th is a first. Scares the H*** out of me everytime we make a hard turn. I stop and do the slide thing and then make the turn. It does make a diffference on the handleing because the weight is transferred 12-14 inches to the rear. I guess, after reading all of these posts, that I will just have to give it a shot without the slide and make sure my wife is in close range to see what is going on. Thanx for this forum - We love the 3300, but it is NEW and SCAREY. Really like not having the maintenance that motorhomes require.

Jim-n-Leslie

A definite do! I have a crew cab short bed, and the slider hitch allows you to tow with the hitch positioned just forward of the rear axle and maneuver to park (or pull out of a tight area) with the hitch set back towards the rear, allowing more maneuvering. The first time I maneuvered without sliding the hitch back, and the tailgate down, I almost took out the compartment door in the front of the trailer. Bad news! You have so much more flexibility! I also encourage you to get a Blue Ox Bed-Saver. Were it not for that small device, I would have had to pay for significant repairs to the side walls of my bed when the jaws slipped. It paid for itself the one time this happened.
Jim

Tuke

I had a shortbed crew cab F250 and had to have a slider, and a shortbed ex cab Chevy silverado 2500 and have never used the slider. It depends on the truck.

Bob and Chris

Senior Members
I was intent on a slider until I got on the Heartland site and asked for help. I was told I didn't need the slider, even with the short box and I've found that to be true. I ended up getting a Reese Signature series and opted for the 24 vs. the 18; the 120 lbs. vs. the 70 lbs. of steel seemed like a good idea and I have been happy with the setup.

LongIslandTodd

2003 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
With a Heartland product you do not need a slider hitch but it does not hurt to have it with a short bed pick up. Never know when you may have to pull a differnt trailer.

Vtxkid

Bought the slider when I bought my 3010 Cyclone... have never used it but got it just in case I get in a tight squeeze!