Warranty and roof repair questions. Looking to purchase 2016 Landmark 365 Newport

tjrob2000

Hello all,

My wife and I have been looking at a 2016 Landmark 5th wheel online. We have not personally seen it, but I think we've looked at one locally (looked at a bunch over the last few months and they tend to blend together) and we like the layout, especially the 1 & 1/2 bath. We have made an offer contingent on an inspection which was just done. The only major issues found were soft spots in the roof 6" in from the curbside and streetside edge and over the entry door. There is damage above the entry door as well. Tires are 7 years old, but we planned on replacing them anyway. One leveling jack has a bent plate, but that seems easy to replace. Last issue, or at least seems an issue to me, is the fridge temp was measured as 40F and the freezer was 20F. This is a residential fridge and I would expect temps to be about 34F and 0F like my house unit. Is it different in an RV? The owner says the warranty has 3 more years on it so that would be a 10 year warranty.

So, I have a couple of questions. One, what is the typical warranty coverage and length? Two, would a roof replacement at 6 years be out of the ordinary?

Current owner is 2nd owner and according to the inspection the owner stated no maintenance has been done outside of consumables (water filters). There are seals in need of replacing, but those are minor issues that I can probably take care of.

We are newbies at this and admittedly are diving in head first, but we're also working to make sure we know how deep the water is so we don't crack our skulls open. Thanks in advance for any input. We'll need to make a decision soon on this one (or any other RV we look at for that matter, but this one within the next day or so).

Regards,
Tom

oldelmer1

I have no experience with soft spots but I would guess the rubber roof will have to come off at those areas to see what's going on.

My roof on my 2016 Landmark had cracks everywhere, and Dicor says it's OK, but I'm going to have RV Flex Armor sprayed on soon. Dicor will pay $1000.00 and we do nothing and keep our original 12 year warranty, or $2750.00 and send us material to have it replaced, but they don't have EPDM, just TPO and I don't want that.

Our refrigerator runs at 0 for the freezer and 38 for the refrigerator, but you set the temperature to what ever you want.

rhodies1

I would be very very Leary about purchasing this unit. You have rotten roof and if not now . You will soon start to show signs of wall delaminating above door. Chances are the wall above door is rotten as well. You stated no maintenance has been done on the unit in 6 years . Stay away and keep looking.

rhodies1

This unit would have no warranty by Heartland.
you may or may not have a warranty on the fridge but I wouldn’t hold my breath on that one either..
I certainly would not be buying this unit .

Bogie

I have no experience with soft spots but I would guess the rubber roof will have to come off at those areas to see what's going on.

My roof on my 2016 Landmark had cracks everywhere, and Dicor says it's OK, but I'm going to have RV Flex Armor sprayed on soon. Dicor will pay $1000.00 and we do nothing and keep our original 12 year warranty, or $2750.00 and send us material to have it replaced, but they don't have EPDM, just TPO and I don't want that.

Our refrigerator runs at 0 for the freezer and 38 for the refrigerator, but you set the temperature to what ever you want.
Just a note. Dicor warranty is only extended to the original owner. So the OP would be out of pocket for any repairs/replacement.

tjrob2000

Thanks for the input folks. We will still talk to the inspector, but have pretty much decided to pass on this one. Will keep looking. We have some time, but not a lot. We are selling our house to go full time in an RV (house is in contract right now, closing scheduled for 7/1).

david-steph2018

Hello all,

My wife and I have been looking at a 2016 Landmark 5th wheel online. We have not personally seen it, but I think we've looked at one locally (looked at a bunch over the last few months and they tend to blend together) and we like the layout, especially the 1 & 1/2 bath. We have made an offer contingent on an inspection which was just done. The only major issues found were soft spots in the roof 6" in from the curbside and streetside edge and over the entry door. There is damage above the entry door as well. Tires are 7 years old, but we planned on replacing them anyway. One leveling jack has a bent plate, but that seems easy to replace. Last issue, or at least seems an issue to me, is the fridge temp was measured as 40F and the freezer was 20F. This is a residential fridge and I would expect temps to be about 34F and 0F like my house unit. Is it different in an RV? The owner says the warranty has 3 more years on it so that would be a 10 year warranty.

So, I have a couple of questions. One, what is the typical warranty coverage and length? Two, would a roof replacement at 6 years be out of the ordinary?

Current owner is 2nd owner and according to the inspection the owner stated no maintenance has been done outside of consumables (water filters). There are seals in need of replacing, but those are minor issues that I can probably take care of.

We are newbies at this and admittedly are diving in head first, but we're also working to make sure we know how deep the water is so we don't crack our skulls open. Thanks in advance for any input. We'll need to make a decision soon on this one (or any other RV we look at for that matter, but this one within the next day or so).

Regards,
Tom
With the roof issues, you can expect to replace a roof, as soon as you can. It is correct that the roof 10-year warranty does NOT extend past the original owner, but politely talking to Dicor may end with good results, but I would bet a dollar to a donut it won't.
Second as stated, the wall above the entrance door will need to be repaired as well, which will not be covered by warranty since you will be the 3rd owner, and it is 7 years old.
Tires, as you stated, need replaced, generally a tire on a RV age out, generally people say 5 years, before it is worn out, as on a truck or car.
The leveling jack pad replacement is easily replaced, but not knowing how it was bent, may lead to problems with that jack.
Our residential fridge does cool as you said like your house unit. So it may need to have the temps adjusted to get it as cold as you like.
With no normal maintenance completed over the time period this owner owned it, was just pure neglect on the unit. It seems, he never repacked the wheel bearings, tires speak for their selves as to his neglect of the care, how are the brakes, probably need replaced, never checked the sealant, if any need repairing/replacement which did contribute to the wall damage above the door.
Knowing you had an inspection completed and found these issues, did the inspector look at the wheel bearings/brakes during the inspection?
To get an estimate of roof replacement, say going with RV Flex Armour roof, call and ask how much for the job. Price for wheel bearings/brake job, could be up in cost if you don't do it yourself.
If you really want this unit, then be prepared for the cost of repairs/replacement of items, saying that offer a price that may help you in having funds for the needed repairs. But I would not be interested in this unit due to the neglect of the 2nd owner.

You were posting while I was typing my post.

jerryjay11

Right off the bat, if the owner never performed any regular maintenance, I would stay away from this one. Regular maintenance is very important on RVs to extend their life. Warranty on this would likely be voided by the manufacture because the fact no regular maintenance being performed., and most likely no receipts or physical proof the roof seals had been maintained. Original warranty may have been 10 years, but you haven't gotten assurance from the manufacturer that they would cover it. The fridge should easily maintain 38 deg in fresh food compartment and 0 deg in freezer compartment, particularly for a residential fridge. Note: 20 deg will not produce ice cubes from the despencer if so equipped because the ice maker requires 17 deg or lower to cycle it. Take that from a retired appliance repair technician.

tjrob2000

Thanks for all the replies. We've decided to walk away from this one and let the owner know this afternoon. Funny thing, he sent me an email later and stated how the RV had been meticulously maintained over the last 6 years and how this unit is particularly good. The damage above the door was supposedly caused by a tree at a park in Washington and "immediately repaired and never leaked". If that was the case then why does is still look damaged? Don't trust this one, so glad we're not pursing it anymore, but also disappointed.