Warranty Process at Selling Dealer

I'm a new-ish owner of a Sundance Ultra 324BH, bought new last year. It is at the dealer (FunTown RV, Cleburne, TX) for warranty service on a few things before the year expires. I had what I thought was a leak on the top of the gray tank-- the symptom was a gush of water out from the corrugated plastic when I dropped the trailer off level on the few weekend trips I was able to take during Covid restrictions. I also had a couple of small problems with the heater. There was no heat in the bathroom and limited heat in the bunkroom. I figured that there was just an air duct crimped or blocked. That wouldn't have been too bad to fix myself, except I'm disabled and unable to remove the coroplast myself. Otherwise, the overall trailer was in pretty good shape and I'm satisfied with it.

So, at the dealer, they discovered the problem wasn't a leaking gray tank, but a couple of other spots that were leaking and apparently pooling on the plastic until I lowered the camper. They've identified that as well as an improperly sealed shower which caused leaking and damage to a lower cabinet. To be honest, I didn't see that damage, possibly because my knees are repaired and I don't bend well. They also found that the heater duct hoses were crimped as I suspected and that one heater duct hose wasn't attached.

So-- anyway, to my question. How long can I expect to wait for Heartland to approve the warranty work? Is there any reason they wouldn't approve the dealer work? They wouldn't have received the request from the dealer until Monday, March 5. I don't expect Heartland to reply to the dealer instantly, but what is reasonable?

So far, I'm very satisfied with the service department. I did have to wait for a couple of months for the appointment, but that was expected.

Last edited:

Dahillbilly

quick answer would be to call Heartland warranty department, have last six numbers of your VIN handy. Ask if any warranty claims have been submitted & the status of those claims. I found out a claim was sent in and approved before we purchased our RV. Good luck

Good luck not sure their' warranty is worth the paper it written on this company does not rate very my dealer i think is trying but not much luck on my claim. hope you do better than i did

Yeah, the warranty coverage is not very good... I was denied coverage for a leaking shower that damaged some woodwork. Their excuse was that I didn't follow the prescribed maintenance schedule. The shower seal is supposed to be checked every three months. Because I didn't find a manufacturing defect in the first three months, I'm presumed to have not properly maintained the camper. This will be the only Heartland camper I ever buy. Back to Forest River for me.

MarkHenry

I'm not having much luck going through Camping World (Denton, Texas). I had a scheduled appointment for warranty work, now they've had it over a month and told me a week and a half ago that they just submitted the issues to Heartland for approval. My camper is a '22 Fuel 323 I bought from them in April. I have the month of November booked at state parks, CW told me I can come get my camper and bring it back in December. I'm temped to make a lemon law claim against them.

Dahillbilly

I'm not having much luck going through Camping World (Denton, Texas). I had a scheduled appointment for warranty work, now they've had it over a month and told me a week and a half ago that they just submitted the issues to Heartland for approval. My camper is a '22 Fuel 323 I bought from them in April. I have the month of November booked at state parks, CW told me I can come get my camper and bring it back in December. I'm temped to make a lemon law claim against them.
call Heartland customer service & have last six numbers of your VIN ready & ask if any warranty claims have been submitted. Then you'll know that much. Oh document every thing might need that info later on.

david-steph2018

Sorry to say, but this is a normal process. You get an appointment to drop-off the rig, they work it into their rotation to check to see what is wrong. If a warranty claims the dealer submits the repair request to the manufacturer for approval or denial. Once approved they order the parts, then wait until the parts come in and then put your rig back into the rotation to get the parts installed.

Depending on what is needed to be repaired, some manufacturer will pre-authorize a mobile repair tech to come out to work on the rig. But there are certain conditions for them to pre-authorize the mobile repair.

Also, sometimes the manufacturer will approve an independent repair shop to do the repair work, so you do not need to take the rig back to the selling dealer.

As mentioned, document every contact with the dealer, Heartland you make. Also, great ideal to call and see if any claims have been submitted.

wdk450

Ask Heartland if you can use another professional RV repairer for your warranty work.

An INDEPENDENT RV repairer (NO RV Sales) has much more motivation to do your work quickly (for rapid business income) and well (for the word of mouth advertising).

cipwood

Heartland has a pretty good scam going with this "Warrantee" thing. Looks good on paper but the truth is you've got nothing. And no recourse. "Oh we're sorry but you didn't get it inspected every 3 months" so no coverage. SCAM