Washer/Dryer in a 2014 Heartland Gateway 3650BH

Hello! :)
We just bought our first 5th wheel and it's a 2014 Heartland Gateway 3650BH :)
We'll receive it in two weeks.
We sold our house in Quebec and are about to travel around the US :)
My wife absolutely wants a washer/dryer.
I'm wondering what's possible in that RV...stackable? Vented? Etc?
Anyone has installed anything in that RV? Experiences?
Thanks everyone!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
That's like asking what brand of truck to buy. Everyone has a different opinion.
We prefer the stackable with a vented dryer.

Peace
Dave

Jim Posz

Assuming your unit came from the factory with the washer/dryer hookups, (most do) then it's a reasonable upgrade. Depending on the rig, it may be able to accept either two separate appliances or only a washer/dryer combo.
These units (separate or combo) are smaller than your conventional home units and operate exclusively on 120 volt. Most are vented.
We had a Splendide combo unit in our previous 2014 Sundance since new, and were pleased with it. We just replaced the Sundance with a Bighorn Traveler, and bought another Splendide combo.
You need to understand that they have only about half the capacity of your home unit, and drying is a bit slower. Also, it will add about 150 pounds to your rig. Installation isn't complicated, other than maneuvering a 150 pound machine in a tight space. A drip pan is recommended.

Two separate units versus the combo is the subject of another whole discussion- and several previous threads.
Enjoy your travels.

That's like asking what brand of truck to buy. Everyone has a different opinion.
We prefer the stackable with a vented dryer.

Peace
Dave
Thanks for your answer!
As I'm on a Heartland forum I thought maybe someone with the same/similar model could answer me, that's why I wasn't very specific. I'm wondering what fits and do I have to drill holes, etc
Thanks

Assuming your unit came from the factory with the washer/dryer hookups, (most do) then it's a reasonable upgrade. Depending on the rig, it may be able to accept either two separate appliances or only a washer/dryer combo.
These units (separate or combo) are smaller than your conventional home units and operate exclusively on 120 volt. Most are vented.
We had a Splendide combo unit in our previous 2014 Sundance since new, and were pleased with it. We just replaced the Sundance with a Bighorn Traveler, and bought another Splendide combo.
You need to understand that they have only about half the capacity of your home unit, and drying is a bit slower. Also, it will add about 150 pounds to your rig. Installation isn't complicated, other than maneuvering a 150 pound machine in a tight space. A drip pan is recommended.

Two separate units versus the combo is the subject of another whole discussion- and several previous threads.
Enjoy your travels.
Thank you
I read reviews on combos and they're not very good...error codes and what-not...
Never had bad experiences?
Thank you!

danemayer

As said earlier, IF your Gateway came with washer/dryer prep, then the answer is fairly simple. The prep consists of a duplex outlet, and water hookups for hot/cold and drain. If you have that, you're almost good to go. Then the choice of stacked versus combo comes down to space and personal preference. Assuming you have the prep, you'll still need to put in a vent through the side wall, or use a ventless model. And you'll want an overflow pan with outside drain, also not part of the prep.

Heartland may make continuous changes during the model year, and sometimes makes major changes at mid-model year. So your Gateway may not be equipped the same as someone else's of the same year/floor plan. Rather than rely on what someone else has, you should look for the hookups.

If your rig doesn't have the washer/dryer prep, it may still be possible, but it'll be much more difficult.

As said earlier, IF your Gateway came with washer/dryer prep, then the answer is fairly simple. The prep consists of a duplex outlet, and water hookups for hot/cold and drain. If you have that, you're almost good to go. Then the choice of stacked versus combo comes down to space and personal preference. Assuming you have the prep, you'll still need to put in a vent through the side wall, or use a ventless model. And you'll want an overflow pan with outside drain, also not part of the prep.

Heartland may make continuous changes during the model year, and sometimes makes major changes at mid-model year. So your Gateway may not be equipped the same as someone else's of the same year/floor plan. Rather than rely on what someone else has, you should look for the hookups.

If your rig doesn't have the washer/dryer prep, it may still be possible, but it'll be much more difficult.
Ok ok I get it thank you :)
It comes already prepped :)
I guess I'll wait to see the space available then. I guess it's better when they are separated (stacked) because the loads can be a bit bigger?
Also, are these appliances available to a few places directly in the US or I better find / order them online now?
Thank you!

danemayer

Ok ok I get it thank you :)
It comes already prepped :)
I guess I'll wait to see the space available then. I guess it's better when they are separated (stacked) because the loads can be a bit bigger?
Also, are these appliances available to a few places directly in the US or I better find / order them online now?
Thank you!
I don't know that the loads are any larger between stacked and combo units. But with stacked, you can be washing one load while drying another. Drying takes longer, so it's not like stacked units are twice as fast as combos. Also, some people complain about wrinkles with combo units.

You'll likely have to order them, either through an online source or through a dealer.

I don't know that the loads are any larger between stacked and combo units. But with stacked, you can be washing one load while drying another. Drying takes longer, so it's not like stacked units are twice as fast as combos. Also, some people complain about wrinkles with combo units.

You'll likely have to order them, either through an online source or through a dealer.
Thanks a lot! :)