Water heater switches

Mdelaney

I have a 39MBS Big Horn Traveler 5th Wheel. Inside my control panel for the water heater I have a 120v and 12v switch. At the water heater I have an on and off switch. My question is on shore power do both the 120v and water heater switch need to be on or just the 120v. With both on it seems like the water heater is continually turning on.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I have a 39MBS Big Horn Traveler 5th Wheel. Inside my control panel for the water heater I have a 120v and 12v switch. At the water heater I have an on and off switch. My question is on shore power do both the 120v and water heater switch need to be on or just the 120v. With both on it seems like the water heater is continually turning on.
On shore power, WH must be full or you’ll burn out the element, the small switch must be on and the 120V switch on
The 12V switch is for heating with propane. Both can be, but not necessary, on simultaneously.
12v only if your not on shore power or have limited shore power available

Kathi-27

on shore power we leave 110 on all the time. when taking shower we also turn on 12v which is propane. it has faster recover time gives longer hot water

Mdelaney

So does water heater use any propane when on shore power? After showers, I hear the WH kick on should I be able to hear that or is that propane firing?

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
So does water heater use any propane when on shore power? After showers, I hear the WH kick on should I be able to hear that or is that propane firing?
That depends on which switches are turned on. If you’re hearing what you believe to be the WH then the 12v propane switch has to be in the on position.
As I said previously, if you want to use shore power electricity to heat water, the small switch outside on the tank must be on and the indoor 120v switch. On shore power I’ve never heard our 12 gallon suburban WH “click” on or off.
However on the the propane side, 12v switch ON, we can hear the WH fire from inside and obviously outside

Et1958

Water heater has 3 switches- 2 inside and 1 outside. On Shore power - To run on electric only- Both the outside switch and the inside 120v switch need to be on. With that, no propane is used. (Make sure water heater is full of water before turning on both switches)

If no shore power hooked up and you want to run on propane - use the 12v switch. .

Most only run the 120v electric side of the water heater when on shore power---- but if you also turn on the propane side- the water will heat faster if you need a lot of hot water quicker. And that is when you would hear the heater kicking on.

I think of the outside switch as a safety switch- I make sure the water heater is full of water before I turn it on .

DAH1

I've got a 2022 Heartland Sundance ML231. My dealer tells me there is no electric heating element. I was pretty sure when I first purchased the unit it did heat water with electric on shore power. There is no 120 V switch on the inside switch panel or outside in the WH compartment. There is also a fuse location labeled, I think, HWH. If the WH does have an electrict option, shouldn't there be a switch to move between LP and electric? Product number is 958706046. Model number is WH-6GEA. The tech mumbled something about maybe a "Covid" build> Any thoughts?

Dahillbilly

I've got a 2022 Heartland Sundance ML231. My dealer tells me there is no electric heating element. I was pretty sure when I first purchased the unit it did heat water with electric on shore power. There is no 120 V switch on the inside switch panel or outside in the WH compartment. There is also a fuse location labeled, I think, HWH. If the WH does have an electrict option, shouldn't there be a switch to move between LP and electric? Product number is 958706046. Model number is WH-6GEA. The tech mumbled something about maybe a "Covid" build> Any thoughts?
specs list electric/propane for that unit. Call Heartland customer service with the last six numbers of the VIN handy & ask them, They will know how it left the factory

david-steph2018

Here is some information on the water heater.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Sure it’s not an Atwood water heater and not a Dometic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk