Water Leak from Shower Skylight

floridarandy

Curious repeat performance. As many of you may know Karen and I bought Eric and Dorothy's Sundance several years ago. Eric had mentioned a leak in the shower skylight that he'd fixed by replacing the skylight. Recently Karen noticed a stain running down the shower wall and evidence of pooling of a small amount of water around the drain. Today I removed the showerside of the skylight and to my surprise discovered cracks running from about the middle of the long edge up to the top middle of the skylight as well as smaller cracks at 45 degrees to 3 of the 4 corners. Since we're expecting 3-5 days of rain from an approaching weather system (10-12 inches) I decided quick action was needed. I clear caulked the cracks and then placed a measured sheet of clear plastic over the entire skylight secured by duct tape just in case the caulk wouldn't have time to cure with the approaching rain.

Curious, tho when I googled Heartland Shower Skylight leak I discovered Eric's original thread here. Although the cracks are in different places, and Eric clearly had replaced the skylight, I"m now wondering if there's a flaw in the design or material used in the skylight used by Heartland. From the thread it appears Eric replaced the original skylight with a replacement he received from Heartland.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/12794-Water-leak-from-shower-skylight

I'm reluctant to replace with a Heartland spec skylight unless there has been a vendor change. Any recommendations on a stronger spec replacement source?

Thanks

Randy in Florida

meandg

crawgator
We recently noticed our skylight was leaking and when we could went up to check it out and noticed several cracks. For now we have used caulk and other sealant to better waterproof it. I was told by someone that they do not last very long and we should plan on replacing every year.

floridarandy

Live and learn. Googling around indicates you're right. The UV eventually does them in. 3-5 years is what I see from some of the manufacturer sites. Here in Florida I'm sure its at the short end. I dont' know the spec Heartland uses, but here's a resource for any who might need them:

http://www.brirus.com/ - They're a supplier but their site will give you sizes and options.

http://www.rvskylight.com/rvskylights.htm - These look like a better quality material but appear to be the skylight only. Not the inner dome. It would appear you'd have to fabricate some type of inner facia for the cutout as the roof members are visible once the inner dome is removed.

floridarandy is correct about the life expectancy here in FL. Ours cracked 2.5 yrs after we got the unit. The mobile tech said that since we are in direct sunlight the 2 yr mark is what to expect.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
They must have made them better in 2007...our Bighorn was built in June of '07, have lived in it since day one....and, so far, the skylight is doing fine....

They must have made them better in 2007...our Bighorn was built in June of '07, have lived in it since day one....and, so far, the skylight is doing fine....

Just spoke with my MIL and her '06 Forest River product still has the original skylight as well. Her roof was inspected 2 months ago and repairs were made but the skylight is fine. Hmmmm

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

Our 2007 Bighorn is in FL right now. I've not noticed any issues so far so hopefully if it does begin to leak it will run into the gray tank.:eek:

floridarandy

After a bit of checking around I'm guess the OE skylight is rotomolded plastic, not polycarbonate/Lexan. The latter is reported to have a lifespan of at least 5 years (10 was reported often). Dimensions are standard so I'll probably purchase replacement using a product made by BriRus Specialty Recreation. They make the outer skylight and inners in clear, white, bronze or ice. They dont' sell direct so you'll have to find a supplier. Best prices seemed to be at PPL:

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-vents/rv-skylight.htm

Installation looks easy enough...once we get Tropical Storm Debby off the top of us. What a time for a skylight crack to appear. Glad I got it temporary patched on Saturday before the sky let loose.

Oh, and it seems a regular application of 303 pays dividends in longevity.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Don't worry Ray, tropical storm Debby may take care of it for you. :angel:
A note of Thanks to BobbyA and Lisa for taking a ride through our park in Port Richey today and checking on our Bighorn. It appears I won't be calling the insurance company yet. All is well at our site with no apparent flooding. All looked good.
I had called the park a few times earlier today and could not get through. Weird sounds after one ring.