Water leak from slideout

DW_Gray

Well after arriving to Florida, we experienced our first heavy rain and discovered a leak. We found very wet carpet on the door side between the slideout and the front door. This morning I looked at the topside of the slideout and discovered the gasket appears that it was not sealed correctly the entire length. I compared it to one of the other slideout to confirm.
So, now what? What is the correct procedure to seal this? I suppose I’ll have to remove the gasket, clean and apply some kind of sealant.

[FONT=&quot]Here are some pictures (I detached part of the outer seal for a better view.)
IMG_2605W.jpg

IMG_2607W.jpg

[/FONT]
IMG_2605W.jpg

SmokeyBare

The "D" seal slides on the plastic track that is screwed to the wall of the RV. Check the bottom of the seal for a screw that holds it in place. There could be one on the top as well. Once the screws are removed, slide the "D" Seal off the track, check the track and the seal for any damage such as tears or breaks. If you've found none, and are sure the track is secured flat and smooth to the wall, slip the "D" seal back onto the track & secure with the screw(s) you removed. Be sure to silicone the rubber while your working on the repair. This helps preserve them.

I've seen the seals come get pulled away from their track when freezing weather is at hand, and they have become frozen to the Slide Room Trim. Silicone helps water not to stick as well.

Good Luck !!

Marv

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Dave, I agree with Marv. Maybe 2 times a year you should clean the seals and apply "303 Portectant". CW and most RV stores have it. Make sure the seals are clean and dry before you apply it. OH, are you sure that the seal was not folded over (did not come all the way out) and let water in?? There was a thread about this not long ago. I will see if I can find it. Bob:D

DW_Gray

I added an arrow to point where the track is not attached or sealed to the sidewall. BTW, my track is not plastic, it's all rubber. After closer investigation, there is another seal inside near the interior wall as well. From the looks of it I don't see how water got inside as is. Yesterday's storm had some high wind too so it could have blown it through.

Bob, the outer seal as you mentioned was not folded in. I've seen that before and I'm aware to look for that.

What should I use to glue the seal to the wall? Would weather striping adhesive work?

SmokeyBare

Dave,

If the track is bowed out... and not laying flat I'd unscrew the shortest length to an end and then re-install the screws working from the location where the bow was to the end. I'd use the same holes drilled in the RV side wall but re-locate the hole in the track. I did not notice any glue or double sided tape on my track.

When I worked on mine... I needed to do the same repair to make the track lay flat. I wonder if it's an expansion - contraction issue?? Don't know for sure... and it really doesn't matter much as to why, as long as you get the fix completed.

Remember the trim on the slide room pulls tightly against the side wall of the RV and squeezes the Seal when the room is closed. Being closed the "D" seal should be compressed tight against both surfaces. Even with the slight bow on the track, it should be able to seal well enough to prevent water from getting inside the RV.

Good Luck !

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Dave, 3M gorrilla snot (yellow) might work. The only draw-back would be if you had to remove the W/S at a later date. I think I would use a good RV type silicone instead. Better sealing and more flexible. MY 5cts Bob:D

santafedave

Santafedave
Slide leaks

Funny that I came across this thread. I have my 3795 in the shop getting the landing gear repaired, I live in California and we have had some intense rain the last week and wouldn't ya know it my slide is leaking on both sides of the main slide. The guy from the shop called me and told me that he is trying to find were the leak is, but, I haven't heard back from him yet. Anybody have this problem with there Cyclone? I would like to hear if anybody has had a repair done to there trailer and what it took to repair the leak. Thanks, David.

I have a 4012, we've seen this problem a time or two since we've have the RV (it's an '07). On ours, the wet area on the floor only shows up after driving in heavy rain, not just sitting, which made me think the leak was somewhere underneath the body in the wheelwell area where the front tire can throw water up toward the front of the slide area. As I said, it's only happened a couple of times, so I haven't been very diligent in searching out the solution.
-JR

DW_Gray

Here is an update. I've been without internet this past week so I've been off the grid. The good news is I repaired the seal as recommended. We've had to heavy storms since and there were no leaks.

Thanks all for your help.