Water pump and over flow problems

Ann&Ted

I have a 2015 Landmark Newport. Yesterday I heard a motor running which sounded like a compressor. It turned out to me my water pump. I went into the camper, and no water faucets or toilets were running. I had the water pump on to supply water to the ice maker prior to our trip today. I turned the pump back on, opened a faucet and had water flow with the normal pump sound as it pressurized the system, after turning off the water, the pump continued to run. Since we are attending a rally tomorrow, I just left the pump off and today arrived at an RV park, I hooked up to the city water supply and tested the water throughout the camper. After about and hour, I noticed water flowing out of the over flow to the fresh water tank. I though I may have left the Anderson Valve in the fill tanks position. It was not. With the valve in the City position, water is flowing into the tank. I turned off the water and checked my water pump, thinking I may have air in one of the lines. I got water from all faucets and both toilets. Unfortunately, the pump still continues to run after the water is tuned off.

I read a forum about the Anderson Valve as a possibility of the problem since it is filling the tank on city setting. Several forum entry's indicated that the problem could very well be the water pump since that is where the check valve is located that prevents city water from back washing into the tank.

Any suggestions? I will be arriving at the New Mexico Rally on Wednesday and really need to correct this problem. We are heading on an trip to the east coast after the Rally.

danemayer

The pump probably continues to run because it can't achieve normal pressure on the output side. The cause may be a partial failure of the pump's internal check valve. That would allow water to flow backward through the pump, back toward the fresh water tank.

So I would guess what's happening is the pump pulls water from the tank, momentarily achieves the pressure required to shut off the pump, but at that point, as the pump starts shutting down, the water pressure on the pump's pressure switch is reduced because the water starts flowing backward. So the pump starts again.

I would think it would sound like its pulsing as the pump shuts off but immediately restarts.

You can fix this with an easily installed check valve on the suction side of the pump.

It's possible the Anderson Valve could also be contributing to the problem.

If you want to check out the Anderson Valve, and rule out a problem there, check out our owner-written "Fresh Tank Fills by Itself" user guide.

Ann&Ted

Thanks for the update. The pump actually is not shutting down or pulsing. It just continues torun. In fact, I just noticed that If The water is left running, the pressure drops until there is no flow at all. You need to turn off the faucet, allow the pressure to build before you can rinse.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Have you opened up all faucets hot and cold, shower, bathroom sick, kitchen sink, toilet and purge all of the air out. I've had this happen a lot when I run out of water then refill it. If it still doing it I'd say it's going to the check valve in the pump.

Jerrod

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ann&Ted

Thanks for the update Jerrod. At your suggestion, I retried all facet's on hot and cold. Still the same result. I believe my pump may be the cause. Hopefully just the check valve.

Ted

Oldelevatorman

I'd still pull the Anderson valve and check that all the rubber washers are good. On mine I added a check valve in line with the pump, but I'd agree it's your water pump!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadJunkie

I once had a pump that had to be primed after de-winterizing. Try putting Anderson in the "Winterize" position and draw water from a clean source.

Ann&Ted

I just placed the Anderson valve into the "winterize" position. My question is, does that position fill the fresh water tank as well?. I am getting water from the faucets in that position.

farside291

The winterize position will pull water from the fresh water connection by the pump. So, yes you will still get water at the faucets. This position is designed to pull antifreeze from a bottle using a hose.

It will fill the fresh tank from this position if the backflow preventer is bad in the pump. But, it is not designed that way. I installed a separate back flow preventer from ShurFlo in the output side of the pump line that connects to the Anderson valve. That cured the backflow problems permanently.

danemayer

The winterize position won't fill the fresh tank. And even if the pump's internal check valve is bad, you wouldn't get more than a few drops possibly going backward because the bucket of antifreeze isn't pressurized like a water faucet. The pump is sucking it in and pushing it away from the fresh tank.

Ann&Ted

Thanks everyone. I have a partial fix. At least I have water where it counts now. We can wash, shower, brush our teeth and use the toilets using city water without flooding the site. I do have pump problems though. Hopefully I will get a bit of help in Albuquerque this week during the New Mexico Rally. We will be arriving tomorrow afternoon. Thanks everyone for your help.

farside291

The winterize position won't fill the fresh tank. And even if the pump's internal check valve is bad, you wouldn't get more than a few drops possibly going backward because the bucket of antifreeze isn't pressurized like a water faucet. The pump is sucking it in and pushing it away from the fresh tank.

Wouldn't if the city water was turned on and the Anderson valve to winterize and the pump had a bad check valve?

Ann&Ted

We were just outside with Tony and Andria. Tony noticed water dripping from under the front end of the camper. I looked inside the cargo box and have a flood. We pulled the wall cover and the pump is dripping real good. Getting a new pump now. Will keep the old one and rebuild it later. Rather have new now since we are Heading to Pennsylvania after the new Mexico rally.

danemayer

Wouldn't if the city water was turned on and the Anderson valve to winterize and the pump had a bad check valve?

Two different discussions going on.

Yes, if you're hooked up to city water and have a component failure, the city water will flow backwards into the fresh tank.

But if your not hooked up to city water and are instead trying to introduce antifreeze from a bucket, no it won't go into the fresh tank.

Ldo

Same problem here. Under warranty 5er. Heartland sent new pump, bad checkvalve, and new Anderson Valve, bad internal gaskets. Both problems solved.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk