Water pump very loud

Glenwood

I have a 2020 Prowler 240RB and my water pump is making a very loud vibration like it may be loose. But also the water pressure seems to be low. Not much pressure. Kitchen sink seems okay but the bathroom sink is weak. Where is the pump located so I can check to see if it is loose.

david-steph2018

I have a 2020 Prowler 240RB and my water pump is making a very loud vibration like it may be loose. But also the water pressure seems to be low. Not much pressure. Kitchen sink seems okay but the bathroom sink is weak. Where is the pump located so I can check to see if it is loose.

I would guess behind a basement wall, but I am not sure. Water pumps do make a loud noise and there are steps to help quiet these down. Such as this one:
SHURFLO 94-591-01 Pump Silencing Kit | eBay
But do a search you may find it cheaper someplace else. Also you could add rubber washer, or such, under the feet to help reduce vibrations.

centerline

if the pump is sucking air thru a loose fitting, it can be much louder and cause low pressure.... or a leaking line on the pressure side, but this is usually obvious when you see water running out of the corroplast, or flooding inside...

if the mounting screws are loose, the pump will be louder....
on a perfectly working system, and the pump still being loud, the pump can be mounted to a heavy block of wood or metal, and then mounted to the trailer, and the pump will be as quiet as it will ever be without being enclosed in its own little sound proof box....
anything that is dense and heavy enough to absorb all the vibrations the pump produces will work well....

sengli

Not all water pumps are the same. The more expensive pumps are usually quieter. I have replaced mine several times over the years due to winterization issues. All of mine have been sorta loose mounted, from the factory but that was a good thing. I have found having them very tightly mounted sometimes makes them louder. The main thing that in my experience is the hard pex runs that attach to the pump, rattle and that makes the majority of the noise. Try and find some flexible type lines to attach to the pump outlet and see how much quieter it becomes.

Glenwood

I do not think there is a leak because I have seen no water and my gauge is not going down. But I wonder about sucking air. So that would be the fitting on the low side and not the pressure side?

I appreciate everyone's inputs. I go out to the trailer every weekend so I will check for these things this weekend.

CoveredWagon

Check and see if there is a strainer on the suction side of the pump. It could be lose, cracked or even have a bad o ring . a quick check / fix is just remove the strainer and try it again. They are notorious for cracking in the winter if a little water remains after winterizing.

Glenwood

Check and see if there is a strainer on the suction side of the pump. It could be lose, cracked or even have a bad o ring . a quick check / fix is just remove the strainer and try it again. They are notorious for cracking in the winter if a little water remains after winterizing.

I took the filter out and checked and did not see a leak. But I turn the setting to pump water like I was going to winterize it but I just used water. The pump would not even suck that water in so I am fairly sure the pump is no good. I think I wore it out because I use it every weekend because I do not have a water source on my property. So I fill up my tank and use it year around. I think it would be better for me to purchase a good one. This was the one that came with my trailer when I purchased it last year.

centerline

I took the filter out and checked and did not see a leak. But I turn the setting to pump water like I was going to winterize it but I just used water. The pump would not even suck that water in so I am fairly sure the pump is no good. I think I wore it out because I use it every weekend because I do not have a water source on my property. So I fill up my tank and use it year around. I think it would be better for me to purchase a good one. This was the one that came with my trailer when I purchased it last year.

the pumps normally last a long time, but they arent intended for heavy duty use... so for normal usage while living in the trailer, there should not be an issue...

the shurflo pumps are about the best your going to find.... you can find more expensive ones, and a lot of cheaper brands, but for dependability stick with shurflo.... I just replaced the original pump in mine with a shurflo 4048 model, which is a bit of an upgrade from the oem pump which was rated at 40psi and 2.5GPM.... the 4048 is rated at 55psi and 4gpm....

but remember when purchasing a pump, they are NOT rated at a specific GPM at a specific pressure.... the GPM stated on the label is a free running pump with no pressure being built... and the pressure rating is what the pump shuts off at...

with some of the better pumps, there is a cheat sheet included that gives the approximate GPM at an approximate pressure.... for example, the 4048 which is rated at 4gpm and 55psi, actually delivers about 2.5 gpm @ 40psi...

Glenwood

the pumps normally last a long time, but they arent intended for heavy duty use... so for normal usage while living in the trailer, there should not be an issue...

the shurflo pumps are about the best your going to find.... you can find more expensive ones, and a lot of cheaper brands, but for dependability stick with shurflo.... I just replaced the original pump in mine with a shurflo 4048 model, which is a bit of an upgrade from the oem pump which was rated at 40psi and 2.5GPM.... the 4048 is rated at 55psi and 4gpm....

but remember when purchasing a pump, they are NOT rated at a specific GPM at a specific pressure.... the GPM stated on the label is a free running pump with no pressure being built... and the pressure rating is what the pump shuts off at...

with some of the better pumps, there is a cheat sheet included that gives the approximate GPM at an approximate pressure.... for example, the 4048 which is rated at 4gpm and 55psi, actually delivers about 2.5 gpm @ 40psi...

I replaced the pump and everything is working again and the pump is quite. I am happy. The original one was badly installed. They just blindly screwed it in so it was a little difficult getting it out. Made it easier for me next time. Which will probably be in about year or so since I over use it at my property. I use it every weekend.