Water Supply Froze Up This Morning

JanAndBill

Never had a problem with this before. Last night the temperature dropped to 30, and my brass regulator froze up. The faucet didn't freeze nor did the filter hooked up just below it, or the hose laying on the ground after that. I guess the brass is a much better conductor than the iron or plastic?? Calling for 29 as the low tonight. Think I'll disconnect it and bring it inside tonight, since the temperatures are supposed to warm back up.

Willym

For situations where the temperature will drop 2-4 degrees below zero, we have often left a tap running at a very small trickle. We've only done this when we have full hook ups and don't have to worry about tank capacity. We did this a couple of years ago when camping in November back home.

JanAndBill

Last night I wrapped the faucet and regulator in an old rug we keep to put out when it's muddy. Apparently that's all it took, because the temp dropped to 25 last night and it didn't freeze. I doubt that it would work if the temps were to stay low over a matter of days, but here they are up and down everyday right now.